Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 01:49 PM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Just wondering -- has anyone adapted an FX3 to be a gravel bike/more trail bike?

I am loving my FX3, but I was thinking I want a road bike. I have 32 tires right now (kind of slick). Was wondering if I put like 35 with more tread and maybe got a more shock-absorbant seat stem, could I use this as more of a trail bike?
Old 08-27-17, 04:40 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WT21
Just wondering -- has anyone adapted an FX3 to be a gravel bike/more trail bike?

I am loving my FX3, but I was thinking I want a road bike. I have 32 tires right now (kind of slick). Was wondering if I put like 35 with more tread and maybe got a more shock-absorbant seat stem, could I use this as more of a trail bike?
You could, as long as its just hard pack trails, that frame is very ridged, so if you plan on going over any drops of more than a foot, you might want at least a suspension fork.
Old 08-30-17, 06:39 PM
aricc24

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about buying an Fx 7.2. Whats the consensus here? would most buy their Fxs again?
Old 08-30-17, 07:03 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I have a 7.2 FX and loved it when I first picked it up new. I've had it for several years so maybe it's because I'm older now at 61, but I find the ride to be very stiff for my taste. I've tried to lower the tire air pressure, thought about trying wider tires - the tires on it are 35mm and I was considering 38mm. But I think instead I'm going to move to a more forgiving bike. My older 7.2 FX has an aluminum fork so maybe a bike with a carbon or steel fork would be better but I've been testing some with lockout front suspension like the DS line and so far I've liked the way a couple of them smoothed out my ride. Thats just me though.
Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-30-17, 07:27 PM
aricc24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timgriffin2
I have a 7.2 FX and loved it when I first picked it up new. I've had it for several years so maybe it's because I'm older now at 61, but I find the ride to be very stiff for my taste. I've tried to lower the tire air pressure, thought about trying wider tires - the tires on it are 35mm and I was considering 38mm. But I think instead I'm going to move to a more forgiving bike. My older 7.2 FX has an aluminum fork so maybe a bike with a carbon or steel fork would be better but I've been testing some with lockout front suspension like the DS line and so far I've liked the way a couple of them smoothed out my ride. Thats just me though.
Good luck with your decision!
Thanks. The FX I rode today has a high ten steel fork. Didnt feel like a harsh ride at all, but did feel a bit heavy and not as fast compared to the Escape I rode last week. Escape with smaller tires and alu fork so afraid wont be a good match for rail trails I want to hit.

Other bike im considering is cannondale quick 7. Only major difference is a chromoly fork, but 80 dollars steeper price.
Old 08-31-17, 06:00 AM
WT21

Originally Posted by aricc24
Thinking about buying an Fx 7.2. Whats the consensus here? would most buy their Fxs again?
I have an FX3 with a carbon fork. I find it a bit jittery over gravel paths, but it's butter on asphalt. I think it would be better on hard pack trails if I had different tires. I have pretty slick 32s right now. (stock tires - bontrager hard case light)

I added bar ends for multiple hand positions, and use it like a road bike. I do wonder if I should have just gotten a road bike, but then again, I saved several hundred dollars in getting the FX3 over e.g. a Domane, and if I compare it to a gravel grinder, many more hundred.

I am not 100% sure if I would buy it again, as I might have gone road bike/MTB duo, but if your needs are more family-focused, casual riding, or an inexpensive road bike experience, I think it's a good buy.

I'm only two months in, but I have zero issues with the bike itself. My questions are as they were when I purchased it -- which type of bike do I really want. I got the FX because it's an in-betweener, and it functions just like that. If you KNOW you want one (serious road) or the other (off-road), I would say get a bike for that purpose, but the FX is a great generalist, and could even do light touring, as others here have shown.
Old 08-31-17, 07:21 AM
aricc24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an FX3 with a carbon fork. I find it a bit jittery over gravel paths, but it's butter on asphalt. I think it would be better on hard pack trails if I had different tires. I have pretty slick 32s right now. (stock tires - bontrager hard case light)

I added bar ends for multiple hand positions, and use it like a road bike. I do wonder if I should have just gotten a road bike, but then again, I saved several hundred dollars in getting the FX3 over e.g. a Domane, and if I compare it to a gravel grinder, many more hundred.

I am not 100% sure if I would buy it again, as I might have gone road bike/MTB duo, but if your needs are more family-focused, casual riding, or an inexpensive road bike experience, I think it's a good buy.

I'm only two months in, but I have zero issues with the bike itself. My questions are as they were when I purchased it -- which type of bike do I really want. I got the FX because it's an in-betweener, and it functions just like that. If you KNOW you want one (serious road) or the other (off-road), I would say get a bike for that purpose, but the FX is a great generalist, and could even do light touring, as others here have shown.

Thanks for the input. I think im pretty set on getting a hybrid at this point, just stuck between which one. At 400-500 bucks I can get a decent entry level hybrid without breaking the bank, still ride hard packed trails, and go a decent speed on pavement. I want an all around bike to be able to switch between different road types, and one that I can beat up a bit and not worry too much about taking it out.

In my mind, If I stick to the sport like I plan, Ill buy a road bike in a year or two when I have more $$$ saved up, and then will have a bike for trails and one for the road. But for now, Im really strapped for cash and am just looking to break into cycling again.

Just as an example, my last bike was a big box store bike with 2 inch heavy ass tires, a crank/gears that would slip every time I tried to stand and pedal... and I would typically do ~15 miles a day on it... So a decent hybrid is a huge step up for me.

Im just not very decisisve on which one to get :/
Old 08-31-17, 07:25 AM
WT21

Originally Posted by aricc24
Thanks for the input. I think im pretty set on getting a hybrid at this point, just stuck between which one. At 400-500 bucks I can get a decent entry level hybrid without breaking the bank, still ride hard packed trails, and go a decent speed on pavement. I want an all around bike to be able to switch between different road types, and one that I can beat up a bit and not worry too much about taking it out.

In my mind, If I stick to the sport like I plan, Ill buy a road bike in a year or two when I have more $$$ saved up, and then will have a bike for trails and one for the road. But for now, Im really strapped for cash and am just looking to break into cycling again.

Just as an example, my last bike was a big box store bike with 2 inch heavy ass tires, a crank/gears that would slip every time I tried to stand and pedal... and I would typically do ~15 miles a day on it... So a decent hybrid is a huge step up for me.

Im just not very decisisve on which one to get :/
I got this after using a heavy steel mid-90s hybrid, and I can say the speed difference is huge.
Old 08-31-17, 07:46 AM
aricc24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got this after using a heavy steel mid-90s hybrid, and I can say the speed difference is huge.
It felt pretty zippy in the parking lot, but not really a good comparison. Im sure the bike is much more efficient. The problem is, the engine gained about 30lbs and is totally out of shape compared to the old steel walmart bike days
Old 08-31-17, 09:04 AM
PeterCT

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce; Trek FX 7.4; Trek 6500 mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How comfortable are folks here with an FX series (FX3 here) for trail riding -- compressed dirt, sand/small gravel? The trails with compressed dirt also has grass bumps and roots here and there.

This is a stock 2017 FX3 with 700X32 tires (kind of slick, but lets ignore traction for the moment).

Would you be comfortable riding an FX3 on trails like these? I've never had an alum frame/carbon fork. My hybrid before was steel.
I use my FX 7.4 on compressed dirt, gravel, short stretches of sand all the time. I also tour on it (which includes conditions and roads like those at times).

Steel is more comfortable than alum frame/carbon fork IMO, but it's not a punishing ride. I do think it's important to at least get the carbon fork, and not go all aluminum.

I changed my stock tires to Specialized Nimbus 700 x 35 and it was a huge upgrade for gravel or dirt, while still giving good rolling on pavement.
Old 08-31-17, 12:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I buy used so I can buy more bikes
Old 08-31-17, 03:26 PM
WT21

What have folks done with their FX bikes to make them more trail-friendly?
Old 08-31-17, 11:40 PM
ste823

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking changing to cx tires
Old 09-01-17, 06:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

big fat rubber, oh yeah

but had to play w pressure to get them to to fit!

I am actually running them lower than 60 now, 40 I think cuz they don't deform much

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-01-17 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 06:47 AM
WT21

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
big fat rubber, oh yeah

I am actually running them lower than 60 now, 40 I think cuz they don't deform much
Are those tubeless or tubeful?

Yeah, I would think with a fatter/larger tire, you don't have to run as much pressure
Old 09-01-17, 07:47 AM
rumrunn6

Are those tubeless or tubeful? Yeah, I would think with a fatter/larger tire, you don't have to run as much pressure
tubes. never tried tubeless. was really surprised by these tires not fitting at max pressure cuz I used same size tires w studs that fit fine (40mm Marathon Winter). guess I ignored the fine print that they run larger than advertised.

they are 40mm tires but at max pressure measure 43mm. to get them down to 40mm had to air down to 60lbs. I experimented lower & they seemed fine, so I ride them as they are. if I wanted them harder & faster I would get the 35mm version. funny thing is only the larger sizes run larger than advertised. then the smaller sizes run true to labeled size. so I think the 35s at max would be 38mm (I think)

but really happy with them at a lower pressure. and because they don't deform (meaning bulge at the bottom) you wouldn't know I was running them at 1/2 their max pressure! as large volume tires, they have an interesting ride quality, especially at 45lbs. only started using them last spring & a tiny bit this summer. plenty fast enough on pavement. not dangerous if you wander off road onto sand, perfectly stable on grass

would like to try them on some gravel & stone dust trails I discovered last fall / winter

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-01-17 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 08:44 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Getting a little "loose" with that tape measure, you must estimate tile floors lol.
Old 09-01-17, 10:03 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Getting a little "loose" with that tape measure, you must estimate tile floors lol.
lol yeah had a problem holding the camera w my right hand & the tape w my left hand, but if you add/subtract the mm line marks you can measure the width. I took like 12 pics & gave up
Old 09-01-17, 02:59 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
lol yeah had a problem holding the camera w my right hand & the tape w my left hand, but if you add/subtract the mm line marks you can measure the width. I took like 12 pics & gave up
Glad you got the joke You got those tires in there pretty tight, does it rub at all when you're running under 60 psi ?
Old 09-01-17, 05:48 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Glad you got the joke You got those tires in there pretty tight, does it rub at all when you're running under 60 psi ?
60 was OK no tire rubbing but I didn't see any bulging so I kept going lower to see what gains I could make. with the sidewalls holding surprisingly well I went down to 45. there's even more clearance now, so no rubbing, even under torque pedaling out of the saddle
Old 09-01-17, 09:40 PM
Troy1

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys, I am about to buy a 2017 Fx S5. It comes with 25mm tires. The new 2018 Fx s5 comes with 32mm tires. If I replace the tires to 32mm, will my ride become slower?
Old 09-01-17, 11:32 PM
ste823

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ordered a pair of continental cyclocross tires today, hopefully using it for gravel and some rides during winter months.. anyone have them on their FX?
Old 09-02-17, 06:53 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Troy1
Hi guys, I am about to buy a 2017 Fx S5. It comes with 25mm tires. The new 2018 Fx s5 comes with 32mm tires. If I replace the tires to 32mm, will my ride become slower?
if they have smooth tread, no. there's been discussion showing how a wider slick can actually be faster. something about the contact patch being wider perpendicular to the direction of travel. kinda like a wooden roller used to move large stone blocks (I think). 25s are pretty comfy tho. I switched my road bike from 23s to 25s and really like them. used to ride 28s on road bikes until I got this bike which came w 23s. used to think 28s were the way to go. then I thought 23s were the bees knees. but pretty darn happy w the 25s now. so many variables such as rolling resistance, weight, tread & pressure. but if both tires are the same brand & model, the speed difference between 25 & 32 won't be measurable, faster or slower (I think) but for sure they will provide a bit more comfort including on a bigger variety of road surfaces incl packed dirt, stone dust & high quality unpaved trails, so a little more versatility

I rode 25s on my road bike on this frozen mud dirt trail with ease but it was hard as rock at 17? degrees. at softer temps I would want a wider tire

while you can run thinner on an unpaved trail the 32s & 35s are better, like on this trail (small well packed gravel) I rode my son's FX 7.1 with the original Bontrager H2 Hardcase 700 x 35 tires

so what are your intentions, plans & body weight? (meaning heavier, wider is better) aka a 150 lb guy can go anywhere on a 23 or 25mm tire but bigger guys like me (225 lbs + gear) I prefer wider especially on unpaved trails

when I hit this stuff I go to 45mm gravel tires

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-19-18 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-03-17, 03:39 PM
Awchief

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New member and proud owner of a new Trek FX1. I have been riding cheap bikes for so long I had forgotten how good riding a quality bike feels.
Old 09-04-17, 12:05 AM
Troy1

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found out that my new FX S5 does not come with a kickstand, nor can one be installed. What are my options?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.