Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 02:01 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Congratulations, w1xq, and welcome.

Velognome, if you believe the bend to be caused by fatigue, that probably means the frame is not safe. But I'll bet it was a crash or other abuse and that it is not fatigued.

Steve checked it out, the bend is typical of loop frames, it's safe. It's hardly noticable and doesn't effect the aligment. I know it there so it's gonna get fixed.
Old 11-14-12, 02:38 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations, PalmettoUpstate.

Thank you!

If I remember right, Rampar was a name that Raleigh started using in the mid or late 70's. More likely that it was a replacement saddle purchased at a Raleigh bike shop.
I'll check the date on the hub. From my knowledge of the source, I'd be surprised if the saddle was a replacement. Of course, stranger things have happened....

BTW, didn't you put the original info on this thread about the "Google Alerts?" If so, I wanna say thanks again; they have been invaluable in expanding my knowledge base. Of course, being in the hinterlands, it sorta PO's me to see all of the neat stuff that passes thru CL in NYC, Chicago, and especially Boston-Cambridge. Oh well.

BTW, I'm gonna do that BSA and that Hercules up like what you see on Post 687.
Old 11-14-12, 03:02 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Velognome, if you believe the bend to be caused by fatigue, that probably means the frame is not safe. But I'll bet it was a crash or other abuse and that it is not fatigued.
This is a comon sign of a steptrough frame used by a too heavy rider, not a crash. Carefully forcing it back and strengthening it with a tube innside sounds fine to my ear, but maybe post about it in the framebuilders forums?
Old 11-14-12, 03:11 PM
slowtostart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the chances of finding the missing part to this chaincase within hours of finalizing the sale? It just arrived from the UK and appears to be a perfect match.

Old 11-14-12, 03:52 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
If I remember right, Rampar was a name that Raleigh started using in the mid or late 70's. More likely that it was a replacement saddle purchased at a Raleigh bike shop.
"RAMPAR" is a contraction of "Raleigh AMerica PARts" and began as a means of supplying aftermarket parts to the North American market.
Old 11-14-12, 04:12 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by slowtostart
What are the chances of finding the missing part to this chaincase within hours of finalizing the sale? It just arrived from the UK and appears to be a perfect match.

The chances were just 1:1,786,389,122.

Of course, you could have used that chance on a lottery ticket, but I am happy for you that you are satisfied with the chain-case cover instead.

Seriously, that is a great find and will really will make a wonderful difference for a seriously cool looking bike.
Old 11-14-12, 04:33 PM
slowtostart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
The chances were just 1:1,786,389,122.

Of course, you could have used that chance on a lottery ticket, but I am happy for you that you are satisfied with the chain-case cover instead.

Seriously, that is a great find and will really will make a wonderful difference for a seriously cool looking bike.

Do men ride bicycles with cream color tires? Or, should cream be reserved for your coffee? I have visions of those tires and a Brooks saddle dancing in my head. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-14-12, 04:54 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Do men ride bicycles with cream color tires? Or, should cream be reserved for your coffee? I have visions of those tires and a Brooks saddle dancing in my head. Any other suggestions?
I take my coffee black, but if you like cream in your coffee go for it.
Old 11-14-12, 07:30 PM
w1xq

Bikes: 70 Hercules, 71 Royal Scot, 65 Foremost, 71 Triumph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleRail
Great find!
I know, especially for Texas!!
Old 11-14-12, 07:32 PM
w1xq

Bikes: 70 Hercules, 71 Royal Scot, 65 Foremost, 71 Triumph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Tom!
Old 11-14-12, 08:53 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Here is a better picture ...Tires, or Fat Tire...don't make me choose!

Aaron
Aaron you said this is a Sports; I don't see the pump bosses; what gives? [or is it an LTD-3?]

BTW, this is the most "justified" grocery getter I have ever seen.

Oddly enuff, New Belgium AND Sierra Nevada are building new breweries about 40-50 miles from where I sit. I can tell already that I'm gonna be checking out the bike recycle co-op in Asheville agin.... LOL.

Seriously, a great yoeman bike you have there. Is that a Wald basket on the front and, if so, do you mind telling me which one?

Tx
Old 11-14-12, 09:08 PM
akcapbikeforums

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate
Aaron you said this is a Sports; I don't see the pump bosses; what gives? [or is it an LTD-3?]

Before Aaron chimes in: before the LTD came the Standard or S-22, sans pump bosses, headlight mount, and saddle bag... and with Endricks. The details show up at the bottom of the SPORTS page of the 1970 catalog, for example.

At least some of the S22 models were made in Malaysia... as with Aaron's and mine:

Last edited by akcapbikeforums; 11-14-12 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 05:43 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

BTW, this is the most "justified" grocery getter I have ever seen.

Oddly enuff, New Belgium AND Sierra Nevada are building new breweries about 40-50 miles from where I sit. I can tell already that I'm gonna be checking out the bike recycle co-op in Asheville agin.... LOL.

Seriously, a great yoeman bike you have there. Is that a Wald basket on the front and, if so, do you mind telling me which one?

Tx
As akacapbikeforums pointed out it is the S22 which was referred to as the Sports Standard. Mine is a Malaysian built model. It has somewhere well past 35,000 documented miles on it. The front basket is a medium Wald 139 and just about perfect size IMHO. I have been watching the brewery expansion plans, Asheville is a 5 hour or so drive for me but I do get vacation time and the mountains are usually cooler than the coast in the heat of summer.

That is not the correct fork, my brother crashed the bike when he had it at college and they had a Herc they were parting out at the time. Eventually I may find a proper fork for it, then again I may not.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-15-12, 06:19 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Yes, it is a weak point in the design. A very complete examination and measurements on a frame builders table confirmed that.
Usually you see fine cracks or worse from fatigue. That has been my experience, though not with bikes. If you don't see cracks and there is a bend, then the steel has yielded. If you get several cycles of yielding in the same area that fatigues the steel much more quickly and you will get cracks.

I would straighten it and not worry too much about it. Go with a nice steel seat post. The nice thing about steel is that it does yield and that is warning sign. Many other materials can fail suddenly.
Old 11-15-12, 07:40 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
^ Pretty much what my frame building, LBS owning, wine making, beer drinking friend said too.
Old 11-15-12, 08:01 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I bought a set of Cream Delta Cruisers for my wife, and a set of black with whitewall for me. My wife preferred the whitewalls, so guess what I got?

Old 11-15-12, 10:16 PM
yellowbarber
porc, pâtisserie & piment

Bikes: 1830 Claude Chevrier Strad model, 1915 Gibson A, 1929 Cuesnon/Beuscher Stainer model, Phil Davidson 2pt mandolin, 1970 JW Gallagher G-50, ca1920 Favilla Brothers grand concert, 2005 Swift Folder, '97 Cannondale M700

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
I rode my path racer conversion on the cream Delta cruisers all summer long. Some of us dudes think they look great on a black bike.

Old 11-16-12, 05:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I'll check the date on the hub. From my knowledge of the source, I'd be surprised if the saddle was a replacement. Of course, stranger things have happened....

BTW, didn't you put the original info on this thread about the "Google Alerts?" If so, I wanna say thanks again; they have been invaluable in expanding my knowledge base. Of course, being in the hinterlands, it sorta PO's me to see all of the neat stuff that passes thru CL in NYC, Chicago, and especially Boston-Cambridge. Oh well.

BTW, I'm gonna do that BSA and that Hercules up like what you see on Post 687.
Yes, I often tell people about google alerts. It's a mighty fine tool. I kept it a secret for a while, because I thought it would give people the same edge I had in finding stuff for sale, but I changed my mind, and now I mention it whenever it's appropriate. Glad it helps. I have dozens of alerts for myself about many different things.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-17-12, 07:03 AM
akcapbikeforums

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Along the lines of google alerts, do you guys ever use any of the Craigslist "aggregator" search engines? SearchTEMPEST is my favorite... it's addictive.

Patrick
Old 11-17-12, 03:44 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, I often tell people about google alerts. It's a mighty fine tool. I kept it a secret for a while, because I thought it would give people the same edge I had in finding stuff for sale, but I changed my mind, and now I mention it whenever it's appropriate. Glad it helps. I have dozens of alerts for myself about many different things.
Yeah, it's weird...

I had been using Google Alerts for years but I never thought of using it that way.

Oddly, I just executed on getting a nice DL-1 for my wife today and I found it in an Atlanta suburb but it had never popped up on Google Alerts I'd set up either for "DL-1" or the alert for "3-speed". Go figure...

BTW, I thinks that you were correct about that saddle on the AMF Hercules...

From what I see here: https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_catdata.html#1970 it appears that Raleigh didn't start using the Rampar name until the late 70's and the AW hub on the bike is a '72.

Good lick!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GEDC0674.jpg (103.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 11-17-12, 03:56 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That's a beauty indeed.

You still have some rust to take off metallic but not-chromed parts. [Like the end plates on the pedals; showing rust brown in your photo]

I have had good results with rotary tool [Dreml-type] wire brushes and I found a tip on them that should make them last longer and I may get to try it out tomorrow...

Use Super Glue on both sides of the wires at the base of the shafts; see review from September 24, 2012 here: https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-...owViewpoints=1
Old 11-17-12, 04:54 PM
slowtostart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=PalmettoUpstate;14959084]That's a beauty indeed.

You still have some rust to take off metallic but not-chromed parts. [Like the end plates on the pedals; showing rust brown in your photo]

I have had good results with rotary tool [Dreml-type] wire brushes and I found a tip on them that should make them last longer and I may get to try it out tomorrow...

Use Super Glue on both sides of the wires at the base of the shafts; see review from September 24, 2012 here: [url]https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-BRUSH-WHEEL-Stainless/product-reviews/B000HWRU9U/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1[/

That picture was taken, in the rain, upon arrival at my home. I had not yet committed to any purchase. I made an offer based on advice given here and it was accepted. For better or worse, I own this creature.

A beauty, really? I'm a carbon fiber, Dura-Ace girl who came over to the vintage side with a $20 Sprite just over a year ago. I think the CL lister would have taken $10, but I had a $20 dollar bill in my pocket and became starry eyed when I saw the Dynohub and lights draped over it. I was hooked, but soon realized that Sprites were looked down upon here and began searching for more worthy ones. No more "gas pipes" for me.

The missing part I just purchased for the mystery bicycle chain case is a perfect fit. Simple pleasures really are the best. There is a remnant on the front fender of a mudguard. Why is this sort of discovery so exciting? No white tail and remnants of a mudguard, what is this thing with 26 inch tires and rod brakes?

As I've said in the past, my learning curve is massive. I muddle through and always appreciate any advice given here. I have a Dremel tool and will enlist it.

Many thanks to all of you.
Old 11-17-12, 05:38 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=slowtostart;14959195]
As I've said in the past, my learning curve is massive. I muddle through and always appreciate any advice given here. I have a Dremel tool and will enlist it.

Many thanks to all of you.
Watch those wire brushes on the rotary tool; they shed wire slivers pretty regularly and it only gets worse as the brush degrades. Eye protection is a must! Nonetheless, I haven't found a better way to clean hard to reach places.

I sure wish I could find a gent's DL-1 for $20; great find!
Old 11-17-12, 05:54 PM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A great find slowtostart, would love to look at it in person.
Old 11-17-12, 06:02 PM
slowtostart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elad63
A great find slowtostart, would love to look at it in person.
Elad, I would welcome your advice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.