Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-23, 03:26 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
I went to my Co-Op today for a few parts and did a bit of work while there. At the end of the day a fellow brings in a Trek 720 and donates it. It appears complete with the original components and set up for touring. However, it had bad crash damage to the front end with wrinkles in both the top and down tube. The Co-Op does not have a comparable frame to transfer the parts to. There will be a complete group available for a reasonable price if anyone might be interested. I did not have a camera with me, so no pictures. If interested in this group of parts PM me and I will put you into contact with the Co-Op. Smiles, MH
Old 07-01-23, 03:44 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock
I've been working on a parts bin drop bar conversion of my Stumpjumper Sport, with hopes of riding a local gravel event in early October.

Now I need to do some research into early mountain bicycles. This frame looks like something that could carry quite a lot. As in: possibly a great touring bicycle.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 07-01-23, 05:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
They were some of the best Trek made bikes using True Temper tubing, nice bike nevertheless
Agreed the Trek 830s and the 850 tend to fly under the radar as the 900 series gets all the attention. But the 830 I picked up is a nice bike with a double butted True Temper frame. I plan on using it as a loaner bike.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-01-23, 06:55 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by DanseMacabre
What do people here do when repairing metallic paint?
The paint shop (that sells paint) didn't want to sell me paint, because for measuring the color they need a bigger area. Should I just polish it a bit and use transparent paint to protect the metal against rust? Or should I just try to pick the right color from a website and have a guess?
What does the BF hive mind think and do about this?
It will be a rider, not a museum piece
)
An idea that has worked for me: After you get it rideable, ride it to some automobile sales lots and lean it up against some like colored cars. If you find something close, order touch up paint for that model. Keepin mind that your old bike has faded in places and there will be nothing that matches everywhere on the bike.
Old 07-02-23, 05:53 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU;[url=tel:22941116
22941116[/url]]Now I need to do some research into early mountain bicycles. This frame looks like something that could carry quite a lot. As in: possibly a great touring bicycle.
due to my cheapness, frames accommodating large tires, and abundant & affordable parts upgrades- I really like setting up old ATBs as my touring/camping rides

89 Panasonic Mountain Cat- for illustrative purposes!
Old 07-02-23, 01:38 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by mrv
due to my cheapness, frames accommodating large tires, and abundant & affordable parts upgrades- I really like setting up old ATBs as my touring/camping rides

89 Panasonic Mountain Cat- for illustrative purposes!
It seems the chainstays are a bit longer than on typical touring frames. What I'm actually thinking about is building a city bicycle that can withstand a bit of weight on the rack without being a bulky longtail bike. Something I can actually carry on my shoulder up some stairs if need be. And something that's obviously made of decent lugged steel I'll have to do some trawling and have a look at Panasonic and maybe Koga Miyata models from the early to mid 80's
Old 07-02-23, 02:08 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
It seems the chainstays are a bit longer than on typical touring frames. What I'm actually thinking about is building a city bicycle that can withstand a bit of weight on the rack without being a bulky longtail bike. Something I can actually carry on my shoulder up some stairs if need be. And something that's obviously made of decent lugged steel I'll have to do some trawling and have a look at Panasonic and maybe Koga Miyata models from the early to mid 80's
Designed by guys who learned by breaking a lotta' vintage bikes...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-02-23, 02:48 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU;[url=tel:22942021
22942021]It seems the chainstays are a bit longer than on typical touring frames. What I'm actually thinking about is building a city bicycle that can withstand a bit of weight on the rack without being a bulky longtail bike. Something I can actually carry on my shoulder up some stairs if need be. And something that's obviously made of decent lugged steel I'll have to do some trawling and have a look at Panasonic and maybe Koga Miyata models from the early to mid 80's
I’d love to get my mitts on a mid 80s StumpJumper. One popped up on Facebook last winter for about $400. Perfect paint and biplane fork. Since I’m using this late 80s RockHopper my trail bike, I really didn’t need a fourth 26in wheeled bike in my garage. The RockHopper clears a 2.3in tire, so as little as I trail ride, it’s great.

Lots-a upgrades! Linear pull brakes. Paul levers. Cliffhanger wheelset. Brooks saddle!
About 25ish pounds I think. Not sure.
Likes For mrv:
Old 07-02-23, 03:05 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Building a beater bike that comes complete wit a few glitches. Schwinn World step through with 27 x1 wheels and tires. New rear wheel and then the front turns out to be 700c so building a wheel later this afternoon. I managed to get the stem, bars and rack installed, and yet to find a seat, and figure out the brake set up. Hopefully done this week with some good luck.

A quick build change, from straight bars to a bit of rise, and shortening the bars by 1" on each side. Makes for a much better posture for the rider.

Rack required a bunch of stash parts but it will be solid. Bike is set to be a single speed free-wheel with a nice city gear.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-02-23, 04:58 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by Mad Honk;[url=tel:22942089
22942089[/url]]Building a beater

You have no idea how unburdened I am seeing garage backgrounds that look at least as bad as my ….. “workspace”.
Likes For mrv:
Old 07-02-23, 05:47 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Body work on the Stratos is done, filler used was JB Weld, on to paint prep and primer.

Top tube filled small dent.
Untitled by nemosengineer, on flicker

Left chainstay filled ripples.
Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

Right chainstay filled ripples

: Mike
Old 07-02-23, 09:28 PM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts
Suntour Superb Pro RD parallelogram replacement

"What God has yoked together let no man put apart..."
I had a Suntour Superb rear derailleur that had been crashed and had a bent inner parallelogram link. There was no way to straighten it while assembled and it was bent just enough to mis-align the chain cage when mounted on the dropout.
I was able to scavenge a damaged donor and set to dismantling the parallelogram links. This involved drilling 2 small holes in the knuckles and driving out the pins. Reassembly was tricky as one end of the inner parallelogram has the spring that needed compressing just so to refit the pin.
Photos should explain everything. The pins splines grip firmly when reinstalled and besides they are held captive by the cage pivot and cable adjuster barrel.

Bent inner link

Reassembly

Pin at the barrel adjuster almost fully pressed in

Completed, 2 small holes visible on top of the knuckles
Likes For Bergz:
Old 07-03-23, 05:43 AM
VintageSteelEU

Clearing out stuff continues. I was quite pleased to find out the wheels I built a year and a bit ago are still perfectly true. Cleaned them up, removed the old grease from the hubs, repacked with fresh one and adjusted. And flushed the freehub with some oil. These are built on Exage HB-RM50 and FH-HB50, so respectable but not overly fancy. Now I need to source another CXP33 rim and build some Ultegra Tricolor hubs I have into another wheelset to use up some more of my stash of spokes.

Old 07-03-23, 10:17 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Finally finished a 650b conversion on Fuji S12S LTD:

Sugino triple with RSX front and Rear DR. MKS touring pedals. A nice pair of TA cages to hold the Mickey's Big Mouth bottles. 105 hubs, 2.0/1.8/2.0 Sapim spokes with CR18 rims.

Velo Orange touring saddle. Panaracer Pacenti 1.50" tires

Sora shifters. I ride the hoods a lot and like these. Crossover 'turkey wings' for city riding and out of habit.

Fuji logo bar plug. Why not?

The boring side

Now for the little stuff, like bell, pump, ODO, saddle bag, etc. A way overdue build that was prompted by a broken frame on old bike. Riding butted Chromoly is sure a nice treat!
Old 07-04-23, 01:19 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Allez Catastrophé

This amazing time suck Specialized Allez has cable guides. Oops. One cable guide when I got it.
I removed it and just brazed two cable stops.

my brazing prowess leaves much to be desired- much like Quasimodo was found desirable by All The Ladies…

any who. It’s done.
next up an acid bath for the frameset, as the bike neglect was significant.

i was thinking my best go at a full on restoration- then I thought-plum paint and white cables white near period correct components would better suit me!

Last edited by mrv; 07-04-23 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-04-23, 01:46 PM
VintageSteelEU

Out with the old:

In with the old:

I actually prefer Weinmann Carrera levers. They are slightly lighter (not much, 10g per lever), but the main thing is they do not need additional ferrules on them. One less item to displace.
Also, decided it's time to replace the handlebar tape, the old one was a bit tired. Still need to spray it with water repellent spray. I think eventually I will go with some leatherette stitched together, but don't have much time to explore this route now.

The 600EX conversion is almost complete. Only the shifter levers are newer - Shimano SL-A400 (Exage 300EX 7sp), but I don't think I actually want the SL-6208 as I read they are not very durable. I kind of got used to Suntour ratcheting ones (in Superbe / Cyclone variety) so much now that indexed shifting feels almost like a downgrade. Might go for the Dia Compe version at some point.
Now I'm just waiting for new brake inner cables and need to adjust the derailleur cable (shifters are 7 speed, freewheel is 6 cogs, so I think I might need alternative cable routing in this case).
Old 07-04-23, 01:49 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by mrv
This amazing time suck Specialized Allez has cable guides. Oops. One cable guide when I got it.
I removed it and just brazed two cable stops.

my brazing prowess leaves much to be desired- much like Quasimodo was found desirable by All The Ladies…

any who. It’s done.
next am acid bath for the frameset, as the bike neglect was significant.

i was thinking my best go at a full on restoration- then I thought-plum paint and white cables white near period correct components would better suit me!
I can't say anything about your brazing prowess, but sure I'd love to have the skills and option.
Old 07-04-23, 01:58 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Body work on the Stratos is done, filler used was JB Weld
That sounds interesting and good to remember - I presume this method works for you?

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 07-04-23, 02:17 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer;[url=tel:22942208
22942208[/url]]Body work on the Stratos is done, filler used was JB Weld, on to paint prep and primer.

Top tube filled small dent.Untitled by nemosengineer, on flicker

Left chainstay filled ripples.

Right chainstay filled ripples

: Mike
Similar question- I always think of JB Weld as staying kind of gummy.
maybe that helps prevent cracking in the future. Maybe.

I’m good to give Spray.Bike puddy a try.
This Allez has a number of tube dings. Possibly from a bike carrier.

cheers
Likes For mrv:
Old 07-04-23, 02:45 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU;[url=tel:22944054
22944054[/url]]I can't say anything about your brazing prowess, but sure I'd love to have the skills and option.
I used a my retired and rusted through Cherry race bike for practice.

I had an early 90s RockHopper crack around the bottom bracket, so I used that one a couple years ago to practice. And the frame builders section is fantastic. Those guys are extremely helpful and patient. As long as you’re willing to not do dumb stuff….😬

Likes For mrv:
Old 07-04-23, 03:30 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by mrv
I used a my retired and rusted through Cherry race bike for practice.

I had an early 90s RockHopper crack around the bottom bracket, so I used that one a couple years ago to practice. And the frame builders section is fantastic. Those guys are extremely helpful and patient. As long as you’re willing to not do dumb stuff….😬
I mostly do dumb stuff and make my life more difficult than it has to be
Old 07-04-23, 03:33 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Finally finished a 650b conversion on Fuji S12S LTD:

Sugino triple with RSX front and Rear DR. MKS touring pedals. A nice pair of TA cages to hold the Mickey's Big Mouth bottles. 105 hubs, 2.0/1.8/2.0 Sapim spokes with CR18 rims.

Velo Orange touring saddle. Panaracer Pacenti 1.50" tires

snip . . .
Now for the little stuff, like bell, pump, ODO, saddle bag, etc. A way overdue build that was prompted by a broken frame on old bike. Riding butted Chromoly is sure a nice treat!
This bike came out great. I'm curious, how did you attach the water bottle cage to the seat tube?
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-04-23, 03:54 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Originally Posted by bikemig
This bike came out great. I'm curious, how did you attach the water bottle cage to the seat tube?
I searched high and low for a ‘gentle to the frame’ mount. I will look for a link. Made in Italy.
Old 07-04-23, 04:05 PM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by bikemig
https://bikepacking.com/index/add-cage-mounts-bike/

Look at the Topeak Versa Mount. That is almost identical to what I used. I really didn’t want to use a metal clamp.
Old 07-04-23, 05:02 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
https://bikepacking.com/index/add-cage-mounts-bike/

Look at the Topeak Versa Mount. That is almost identical to what I used. I really didn’t want to use a metal clamp.
Yeah I've read that post before. SKS and Topeak both make similar products. I'm a little skeptical of a piece of plastic holding the water bottle well. Is it working?

I'm leaning towards using a metal clamp of some type. If you run electrical tape underneath, it won't scratch the paint.

Alternatively I like some the bikepacking bags that hold a nalgene bottle and mount under the downtube but they're expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.