Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2023 bike industry is drowning in losses already!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

2023 bike industry is drowning in losses already!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 05:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
For sure. Thank God I'm not wearing it. Although my Chinese wife agrees that the Chinese produce a lot of crap.
Americans also produce a lot of crap. But that doesn't mean much if you are not buying the crap. That's a personal choice.

This Apple laptop I'm using was designed in California and made in China, but it isn't crap. My Tesla was also designed in California and made in China and is better built than the American built Tesla I had previously. All my carbon bikes were made in Tawain, like most quality carbon frames are. One of them is American designed, two are German and one is Taiwansese.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-06-23, 07:19 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Americans also produce a lot of crap. But that doesn't mean much if you are not buying the crap. That's a personal choice.

This Apple laptop I'm using was designed in California and made in China, but it isn't crap. My Tesla was also designed in California and made in China and is better built than the American built Tesla I had previously. All my carbon bikes were made in Tawain, like most quality carbon frames are. One of them is American designed, two are German and one is Taiwansese.
True, crap can come from anywhere. It falls down to QA/QC and vendor responsibility/ownership of the product, regardless of where the company is located.

I design and build chemical plants for a living. Just about every job will have a situation where the client wants to save money on a piece of equipment or unit - and they will order it from China. We will receive the equipment without doing in person factory acceptance tests and rely on the vendor QA/QC forms. Once on site we typically have to rewire, re tube, and sometimes swap out all of the piping as the welds fail inspection and the installed metals are not as specified. Cheap pipe sections with poor tolerances and alloy makups, brittle pipe flanges, dangerous electrical wiring, impulse tubing that looks like it was bent and fitted by hand...

The problem is - the quality and QA/QC can be a complete crap shoot on

And, if my Trek made in Tiawan is a hunk of crap/cracks breaks - I roll into the Trek store and get a new one. If my Trek explodes while just riding along - Trek may have some liability.