Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 07:00 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
The one's I buy hold 24 oz's of fluid, that's not small. And heavy? Once any bottle is full it's heavy, what a thing to whine about. On hot days you need to bring down you core body temperature, and a non insulated bottle heats up too fast even if you freeze the bottle overnight it's unthawed and hot in an hour. With insulated bottles I can freeze one overnight and it will be ice cold with ice after 2 hours in 90 degree weather.

But regular bottles are great for someone who doesn't ride for more then hour.
Take this from someone that lives where it is 95F in January: They are chit! Within 30 min, they are all warm the same. I had a couple I bought a long time ago, and they were "donated" within 2 uses.

You don't need expensive bike boutique foods, that's just a huge ripoff unless your a pro getting the stuff for free. A lot of protein bars can be found at Walmart like Met-Rx Big 100 Colossal Bars; they, Walmart, even have a protein shot in a tube you can gulp fast on a ride or after a ride. Do some research and you can find stuff on the market place way cheaper then at an LBS. Drink wise Poweraide works as good as any LBS drink, in fact I buy Gatorade in a can and it works great, it's cheap, but I dilute it 50% for drinking while riding; why pay $1.50 or more for one bottle of drink on the bike when you can get the same effect for 10 cents a bottle?

Those Bonk bars only have 8 grms of protein, the Met RX has 21! Walmart has other bars too that have more protein the 8 gms. You can also put protein shake into a water bottle, I know some that do that, or you can simply use Nesquik, it has 8 grms of protein and it's cheaper then even the Walmart protein shakes.
I have to admire your chinese/walmart mentality of "the more I can get for the least is always better". I don't eat anything in rides less than 2-2.5 hr. I could carry a subway sandwich or a homemade pizza too, which would be more nutritionally sound, but it is not the reason I carry or buy these. They are convenient and I can tolerate the taste at 100F when I am sweating, which is not something I can't say about many other foods. I have tried tons of other convenient foods and bars, and these are one of the few I can tolerate. Do I like the price? Heck not. Do I think or know there are tons of other things that for the price and size have far better nutritional value? Sure! Are they going to make me faster? No, but they'll let me finish my ride! Oh, and BTW, thanks for the seal of approval. God knows at my age I need all the approval I can get from anonymous internet experts about the little bars I bought online to eat on my bike ride.

Last edited by dgasmd; 09-11-11 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-11-11, 11:36 AM
slynkie
negligent.

Bikes: a few

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reread my post about core cooling, hell don't believe me Winnifred, do your own web search.
why don't you start a thread for that, and let's get back on topic?

bought another set of Castelli s. rossa corsa gloves. been digging them this year.
Old 09-11-11, 02:39 PM
nathan.johnson

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shimano R650 front brake caliper.
My old Tektro disintegrated riding into work!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shimano_brake_caliper.jpg (4.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-11-11, 04:32 PM
slynkie
negligent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just placed the order today, supposedly for delivery around Nov. 12th. unsurprisingly, prices have gone up for 2012..

i'll be replacing pretty much everything on it (sticking to SRAM though, converting from my current Campy ride), i really just wanted the sexy-beast frameset. i'll keep the wheels for training.

it just begs for a silver thomson masterpiece seatpost, doesn't it?
Attached Images
c_12_2rax4d_raw_8.jpg (39.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-11-11, 04:36 PM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slynkie
why don't you start a thread for that, and let's get back on topic?

bought another set of Castelli s. rossa corsa gloves. been digging them this year.
Like those better than the regular ross a corsa gloves? I've been sporting the standard version and they've been pretty good. Very comfortable once they get broken in a bit.
Old 09-11-11, 04:46 PM
slynkie
negligent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ErichM
Like those better than the regular ross a corsa gloves? I've been sporting the standard version and they've been pretty good. Very comfortable once they get broken in a bit.
i didn't know about the regular ones. i bought both pairs from an LBS at which I'd had some store credit sitting around doing nothing for a long time. i'll have to check those out next time i'm in need.
Old 09-11-11, 05:35 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bell Alchera Helmet
Attached Images
bell.jpg (14.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-13-11, 08:41 AM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
2010 Centaur UT crankset at Ribble for just £55! And delivery to Canada took just three days!

Got the cups to go with the crankset, of course. Also got a new Veloce chain and a Miche cassette. This is the first time I've ever purchased all three major elements of a drivetrain new, and I gotta say: it's magic. The smoothness is unbelievable.

From now on I'm going to replace the crank rings, chain and cassette at the same time when they wear out. None of this dribs and drabs stuff. And another thing: 9-speed chains don't work well with 10-speed cassettes.
Old 09-13-11, 08:45 AM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cycling-related, but not always for the road. I sold my '09 Jamis Sputnik for this because I figured I didn't need two bikes only for the road. Now I have something for riding the road to the trails around here, then hitting the trails!
Old 09-13-11, 08:50 AM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacement rim for my front DV46C:

Yeah, it's an assault. Couldn't justify the extra $200 just for the swirl lip thingy. Stickers will be coming off regardless.
Old 09-13-11, 08:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52

Cycling-related, but not always for the road. I sold my '09 Jamis Sputnik for this because I figured I didn't need two bikes only for the road. Now I have something for riding the road to the trails around here, then hitting the trails!
Nice - I really want a Breed in the old powder blue/black color scheme.
Old 09-13-11, 09:16 AM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They've really done a lot of changes to it this year. Tapered HT, nicer hub bearings ('11 and '12 are both sealed though), BB30 once again sealed bearings, Avid Shorty 4 brakes instead of Tektro, nicer brake levers for my hands, and the brake stop is much nicer because it's centered. I bet they'll do the blue scheme next year.
Old 09-13-11, 10:46 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my most recent cycling related purchase. 88 Cannondale Criterium I picked up off craigs list for a good friend of mine. shimano 105 12 spd.

Sorry for crappy cell phone pic. My camera battery died so I had to use my phone.
Old 09-13-11, 02:48 PM
siran

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Dawes Lightning 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Upgraded from a Giro Indicator. Testing tomorrow to see what all this Ionos hype is about.
Old 09-13-11, 03:04 PM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by siran

Upgraded from a Giro Indicator. Testing tomorrow to see what all this Ionos hype is about.
Great helmet.
Old 09-13-11, 06:05 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shouldn't have, but I just love this frame...

Old 09-13-11, 06:30 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
dont blame you. i want a silver E5 in the worst way.
Old 09-13-11, 06:59 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The funny part is that I found this frame the same day my LBS finished putting the new group & wheels on the Allez. So in the near future I have to have them take it all off and put it on this one *ugh*

I believe I wll hold on to the Allez frame just in case.
Old 09-13-11, 08:31 PM
Atavar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got tired of riding with cheap headlights, but I'm cheap.. I did a lot of searching and found these on a discount sales website. Only one day but so far I am completely amazed at what I got for the price. Beautiful solid aluminum shells, the lights are brighter than I thought they would be. They say they are 1200 lumens and I believe them. Run time is allegedly (untested) three hours at full power. I got two lights, so for $110 delivered I am putting 2400 lumens out in front of me when I ride. The last picture shows the lights shining down a city block at my local city park.

To avoid spamming if anyone wants the link to where I got them email or IM me.
https://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/Atavar4/?action=view&current=d87fc58e.mp4

Last edited by Atavar; 09-15-11 at 07:44 PM. Reason: better picture
Old 09-13-11, 08:49 PM
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
New road tandem.

Old 09-13-11, 09:33 PM
markrj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tools!
Old 09-13-11, 09:40 PM
korean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted this in my new bicycle thread but I think here would be a better place for answers.

I have several questions (I hope someone sees this!). A school friend gave me some stuff for my birthday. I don't know what any of this stuff is and I just got home from class so I'm going to spend the rest of the night googling everything. I thought you guys/gals can chip in and help me figure out if I should install this stuff on the bike when it arrives.

1. Easton EA70 handlebars. It says 44CM C-to-C on it. Are these better than the stock ones that come with the Caad?

2. Profile Design T2+. The friend who gave these to me said they're aero bars, meant for time trials or triathlons. I am actually looking forward to triathlons so maybe I can use these. I have done many marathons since high school and have always wanted to do participate in a triathlon.

3. Easton EA70 seatpost. On the post itself there are some numbers: Minimum insert 27.2 X350. Looking online it seems that some people use this on mountain bicycles. Should I replace the stock Caad's seatpost and replace it with this one?

4. fizik Bar:Gel. I have no idea what this stuff is. Google is my friend, but I can use input from you guys

5. Continental Grand Prix 4-Season V. There are actually two boxes. One has 23-622 (700x23C) on it and the other reads 25-622 (700x25C).

6. DeFeet Deline socks, DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks, PhD Cycling Ultra Light Micro socks, Pearl Izumi Elite Low socks, Pearl Izumi Attack Low socks

7. Lezyne Pressue Drive S

Once again, I have no knowledge on any of this equipment and I am actively googling everything and would greatly appreciate your knowledge. Thank you!
Old 09-13-11, 10:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by korean
I posted this in my new bicycle thread but I think here would be a better place for answers.

I have several questions (I hope someone sees this!). A school friend gave me some stuff for my birthday. I don't know what any of this stuff is and I just got home from class so I'm going to spend the rest of the night googling everything. I thought you guys/gals can chip in and help me figure out if I should install this stuff on the bike when it arrives.

1. Easton EA70 handlebars. It says 44CM C-to-C on it. Are these better than the stock ones that come with the Caad?

2. Profile Design T2+. The friend who gave these to me said they're aero bars, meant for time trials or triathlons. I am actually looking forward to triathlons so maybe I can use these. I have done many marathons since high school and have always wanted to do participate in a triathlon.

3. Easton EA70 seatpost. On the post itself there are some numbers: Minimum insert 27.2 X350. Looking online it seems that some people use this on mountain bicycles. Should I replace the stock Caad's seatpost and replace it with this one?

4. fizik Bar:Gel. I have no idea what this stuff is. Google is my friend, but I can use input from you guys

5. Continental Grand Prix 4-Season V. There are actually two boxes. One has 23-622 (700x23C) on it and the other reads 25-622 (700x25C).

6. DeFeet Deline socks, DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks, PhD Cycling Ultra Light Micro socks, Pearl Izumi Elite Low socks, Pearl Izumi Attack Low socks

7. Lezyne Pressue Drive S

Once again, I have no knowledge on any of this equipment and I am actively googling everything and would greatly appreciate your knowledge. Thank you!
1. Easton makes good stuff. EA 70 is the lowest of their line, probably a bit heavy, but good quality. 44cm c-c refers to the width of the bars from center to center. I'd only swap out the stock bars if the stock bars are uncomfortable.

2. Yes, those are aerobars. If you mount them, please stay off them on group rides.

3. See 1, above. I doubt it's much of an upgrade over the stock post.

4. Bar tape? Gel means it's cushier than plain cork. Like saddles, bar tape is a personal feel thing.

5. These are good tires. If you have one 23 and one 25, mount the bigger one on the back.

6. Good socks. Wear them.

7. Good pump. Use it.

You are lucky to have a nice friend.
Old 09-13-11, 10:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Need to strip and paint my Super Cheapskate SSCX bike.
Old 09-13-11, 11:12 PM
korean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I met him in Calculus over the summer. We're taking another math class together this fall and we study together. He said he used to work at a bicycle shop and has a bunch of stuff laying around that he doesn't use so he gives stuff away as birthday presents

Thank you so much for your thorough response! My last question is in regards to the tire sizes. Is it recommended to have the same tires on front and back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.