Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

see-through shorts - to tell or not to tell?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

see-through shorts - to tell or not to tell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 01:14 PM
PrettyCurious

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4300, 2021 GoExpress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
My thought is "Where's the pictures?" In order to help you, we need an accurate picture of the situation.
Old 09-06-21, 01:21 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
My thought is "Where's the pictures?" In order to help you, we need an accurate picture of the situation.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 09-06-21, 01:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
A. Read the forum rules.

B. See post No. 21 in this thread.

C. Ignore A and B above at your own peril.
Old 09-06-21, 02:32 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
I would want to be told. If I knew they were worn before the ride I wouldn't have worn those shorts. Perhaps some would still wear worn out shorts, but I sure wouldn't.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Woman rides along side me and says something like "You must have had those shorts for a long time." then rides off. I thought "I have, but how in the hell did she know that?" After about a minute I think I got her drift.
I think this is the best way of "telling" a stranger about their shorts that I've seen. If I were to tell someone about worn out shorts I'd steal this line.
Likes For rumstove:
Old 09-06-21, 03:31 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Out where I live, there are a lot of cyclists on the road where I drive for work during the day. The riders I see are serious and ride the finest equipment.

It's not uncommon, indeed it's a daily occurrence, to see a man riding a $10,000 bike, and saving on bike short expenses by wearing virtually see-through plum-smugglers.

I always chock it up to miserly habits, and shameless ignorance.

My wife calls it blue-moon.

​​​​​​It happened to her. So it's not just men.

Face it, if you ride a lot, you need new shorts already. Get some.
Old 09-06-21, 03:47 PM
paceb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few weeks ago I was behind a guy on the road who was wearing lycra that seemed to be designed to show butt crack.
Several inches of the material from the top down was quite sheer, leaving not much to the imagination.
So it seems that at least some people are doing this intentionally.
Personally I was was thinking, gee, do I really need to see that?
Old 09-06-21, 03:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rumstove
I would want to be told. If I knew they were worn before the ride I wouldn't have worn those shorts. Perhaps some would still wear worn out shorts, but I sure wouldn't.

I think this is the best way of "telling" a stranger about their shorts that I've seen. If I were to tell someone about worn out shorts I'd steal this line.
Feel free to steal. I found it hilarious, like someone making a good natured joke about you and walking away and you not getting it at first. I ended up taking to her two days later, but not about the shorts. She was an MD, so she had probably seen a lot worse.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-06-21, 03:59 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by paceb
A few weeks ago I was behind a guy on the road who was wearing lycra that seemed to be designed to show butt crack.
Several inches of the material from the top down was quite sheer, leaving not much to the imagination.
So it seems that at least some people are doing this intentionally.
Personally I was was thinking, gee, do I really need to see that?
Doubt it. Designing shorts that way could be costly. Just ask Lululemon. Stock took a big hit after the yoga pants incident.

That area is a common wear point. Or maybe they were really cheap.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-06-21, 04:01 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
This thread has prompted me to do some stretching in front of a mirror before my next ride.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 09-06-21, 04:07 PM
oldbear63

Bikes: Fuji road bike, Trek mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Out for my ride yesterday I came upon a rider whose bike shorts had seen better days. No only that, the back end was see through

Now I didn't know this rider. And I was cycling faster than this rider, so I was going to pass them. I was having an internal debate whether or not I should tell this stranger that their bike shorts were see through. Maybe they didn't know? But then again, is it any of my business to tell a stranger about their clothing?

Well the decision was made for me as the rider turned before I had chance to make a final decision on what to do.

But what's the thought here? Do you tell someone about their see through shorts or just cycle on your merry way?
The leader of one of my bike groups often wore old shorts and we got to know him better than we wanted to.
Since then I have been wearing polyester or nylon briefs under my shorts.
I prefer the extra layer of fabric and I don't have to worry about excess visibility.
Old 09-06-21, 04:36 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I do still wear some worn bike shorts but they are worn in the thigh area. I've even checked other areas of those shorts but they are fine in the rear!
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-06-21, 05:48 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by kahn
I do still wear some worn bike shorts but they are worn in the thigh area. I've even checked other areas of those shorts but they are fine in the rear!
Have had some wear in the thighs, but I think one was do to DEET, before I knew what it is capable of.
Old 09-07-21, 08:13 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Have had some wear in the thighs, but I think one was do to DEET, before I knew what it is capable of.
A friend had pocket lint melded with his swiss army knife due to DEET!!! I makes sense that mosquitos stay clear of the stuff.
Old 09-07-21, 09:34 AM
mwaldin

Bikes: Cross over REI City 1.2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you want to tell them out of your concern that they might not know and you want them to be aware, then tell them. Always do something out of caring and not out of "you are so stupid". Do that and you will be good. Even if they don't like you for it.
Likes For mwaldin: