Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-23, 12:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18480 Post(s)
Liked 15,762 Times in 7,404 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
There are some individuals who literally have no life other than their work, and if forced to separate from that life they have nowhere to go but downhill. Others struggle along for a while but they aren't really what one would call happy. I find you need to have a multi-layered plan before you walk out the door, and work that plan until you find something rewarding to do. If that plan involves going back to work, whether FT or PT then so be it, just don't wander around waiting to die.
That is one of the teachings of the book “Younger Next Year.” A lot of people (especially men) wake up in retirement and feel useless with nothing to do. They often become sedentary and gain weight, leading to health problems and early deaths. The book says have plans and hobbies to keep you interested in doing things.

Interestingly, I happened to meet one of the co-authors on a bike trail in Copake, NY during my September tour home from northern Vermont. He’s in his 80s and still riding.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-11-23, 12:57 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8333 Post(s)
Liked 9,166 Times in 4,521 Posts
I’ve been asked to meet by my investment people tomorrow. I am rather nervous, I haven’t had to sit down face-to-face with these people since I retired 12 years ago.
Nervous as in possible bad news about your money?
Old 05-11-23, 01:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10490 Post(s)
Liked 12,020 Times in 6,153 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
"We put it all in Crypto, but not early on when it was cheap. No, we invested all of it at the peak. Then we got out at the bottom. We took the little that was left over, and invested that in Twitter shares, but not before the buyout."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-11-23, 01:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by indyfabz
That is one of the teachings of the book “Younger Next Year.” A lot of people (especially men) wake up in retirement and feel useless with nothing to do. They often become sedentary and gain weight, leading to health problems and early deaths. The book says have plans and hobbies to keep you interested in doing things.

Interestingly, I happened to meet one of the co-authors on a bike trail in Copake, NY during my September tour home from northern Vermont. He’s in his 80s and still riding.
American culture tells men - or, at least, it TOLD men - that you are what you do as a job, and that you should work hard and even sacrifice for your job, because success in your career is the most important thing.

Then one day, the career ends. Oops.

So, work to live, don't live to work.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-11-23, 01:31 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22663 Post(s)
Liked 8,992 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
American culture tells men - or, at least, it TOLD men - that you are what you do as a job, and that you should work hard and even sacrifice for your job, because success in your career is the most important thing.

Agree. I hate the fact that the first question people ask when they meet is "what do you do?"

I typically answer "I ride a bike."
Old 05-11-23, 01:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by datlas
Agree. I hate the fact that the first question people ask when they meet is "what do you do?"

My Dad had a series of fairly consuming interests outside of work, but I'd say his most consuming passion was gardening - not just flowers and veggies, but the whole yard. So, when he retired, he had lots to keep him busy. But he also did things like tapping the maple tree in their yard and making a really tiny quantity of his own maple syrup, or when he visited us in our old place where there were lots of olive trees around, picking a bucket full of them and curing them - in both cases, because it was something he'd never done.

The man retired at 78 and STILL lived another 22 years!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-11-23, 01:44 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11989 Post(s)
Liked 6,712 Times in 3,508 Posts

Agree 100%, even though the values and work ethic of past generations that built this great country have not been adopted in recent generations. And it's not all the worker's fault, management and supervision share the blame. Core values have changed somewhere along the line. It's tempting to think another World War might put values back on track, but there will be no bouncing back after the next one. So we're stuck with this large portion of the young population that believes the world owes them something.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-11-23, 01:46 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by big john
Yes.

I'm not signing ****!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-11-23, 01:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Agree 100%, even though the values and work ethic of past generations that built this great country have not been adopted in recent generations. And it's not all the worker's fault, management and supervision share the blame. Core values have changed somewhere along the line. It's tempting to think another World War might put values back on track, but there will be no bouncing back after the next one. So we're stuck with this large portion of the young population that believes the world owes them something.
You know, there's a quote from an ancient Greek philosopher, can't remember which one, complaining about the next generation not being hardworking and responsible like his own generation....

Old 05-11-23, 01:52 PM
BillyD
Administrator

"We put it all in Crypto, but not early on when it was cheap. No, we invested all of it at the peak. Then we got out at the bottom. We took the little that was left over, and invested that in Twitter shares, but not before the buyout."
Old 05-11-23, 02:22 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,658 Times in 2,140 Posts
There are some individuals who literally have no life other than their work, and if forced to separate from that life they have nowhere to go but downhill. Others struggle along for a while but they aren't really what one would call happy. I find you need to have a multi-layered plan before you walk out the door, and work that plan until you find something rewarding to do. If that plan involves going back to work, whether FT or PT then so be it, just don't wander around waiting to die.
I’ve noticed that professional people (lawyers, doctors, academics, etc.) have jobs that “define” them and find it very hard to give that up. Luckily, my wife and I always had hobbies and slid into meaningful retirement easily. It also helps that we both have government pensions, lived frugally, and were savers/investors and live a comfortable but not extravagant life. I’d say that my wife and I are very happy in retirement.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-11-23, 02:26 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,658 Times in 2,140 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

I once had a snooty professional engineer ask me about how many degrees, licenses and certifications I had. I told him that I have a Ph.D in cycling.

Seriously.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 05-11-23 at 02:30 PM.
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-11-23, 02:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I’ve noticed that professional people (lawyers, doctors, academics, etc.) have jobs that “define” them and find it very hard to give that up. Luckily, my wife and I always had hobbies and slid into meaningful retirement easily. It also helps that we both have government pensions, lived frugally, and were savers/investors and live a comfortable but not extravagant life. I’d say that my wife and I are very happy in retirement.
I told my kids to disregard the advice, "Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life", because, I told them, it could be because you'd be unemployed. Also, nothing kills a passion quite like having to do it as a living.

Instead, I said find something that interests you enough that you could do it for 30-40 years, but be able to leave it behind at the end of the day. Still waiting for them to figure it out, though The Older Boy seems reasonably happy in Meat.

Old 05-11-23, 02:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12857 Post(s)
Liked 7,773 Times in 4,122 Posts
Lance is chillin' with Marshawn!

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-11-23, 02:51 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13743 Post(s)
Liked 4,548 Times in 2,521 Posts
Should we stay off of your lawn?

Likes For rjones28:
Old 05-11-23, 02:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12857 Post(s)
Liked 7,773 Times in 4,122 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Parts Box of the Day

You got both wheels done yet?
Old 05-11-23, 02:55 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13743 Post(s)
Liked 4,548 Times in 2,521 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
You got both wheels done yet?
Yup.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 05-11-23, 02:57 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Lance is chillin' with Marshawn!

Beast mode.
Old 05-11-23, 02:58 PM
big john

My Dad had a series of fairly consuming interests outside of work, but I'd say his most consuming passion was gardening - not just flowers and veggies, but the whole yard. So, when he retired, he had lots to keep him busy. But he also did things like tapping the maple tree in their yard and making a really tiny quantity of his own maple syrup, or when he visited us in our old place where there were lots of olive trees around, picking a bucket full of them and curing them - in both cases, because it was something he'd never done.

The man retired at 78 and STILL lived another 22 years!
My maternal grandfather lived to 96. He gardened and grew his own vegetables for many years. He was also an extremely calm man. OG Irie-man.
Never met my paternal grandfather. He died before I was born, I think he was 54.
Old 05-11-23, 03:02 PM
big john

You know, there's a quote from an ancient Greek philosopher, can't remember which one, complaining about the next generation not being hardworking and responsible like his own generation....
I think it was Comicus. nsfw maybe

Old 05-11-23, 03:05 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by rjones28
Should we stay off of your lawn?

Anybody with their own bike company needn’t.
Old 05-11-23, 03:14 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

Still does, yes, at least in many places.
Old 05-11-23, 05:39 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28727 Post(s)
Liked 1,873 Times in 1,329 Posts
Another day of me beautifying the earth.

You're welcome.
Old 05-11-23, 05:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Another day of me beautifying the earth.

You're welcome.
Stayed home, did you?

Old 05-11-23, 05:44 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28727 Post(s)
Liked 1,873 Times in 1,329 Posts
Rankings of the generations I've observed:

Best: Gen X (obviously)

Good: Silent Generation, "Greatest Generation"

OK: Millennials

Bad: Baby Boomers, Gen Z
Likes For Velo Vol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.