Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Le Tour tire wins

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Le Tour tire wins

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-21, 08:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
"vast majority of tubeless naysayers have no experience"
Really ? That is absurd.
The opposite is true and much more plausible. Most tubeless naysayers have tried tubeless and didn't like them.
Sure thing. Let's ask the guy that started this thread, and others like it, about how much practical experience he's got.
Old 07-12-21, 04:01 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Road tubeless had a bumpy start ~10 years ago. Memories of the utter pain of trying to get some first gen Hutchinson Atoms mounted on some first gen tubeless Shimano rims are vivid in my mind. About five years ago, I gave it another try, bought a compressor and a Prestaflator and at this point I have swapped all of my bikes to tubeless. Tubeless definitely requires that you learn new skills, acquire new tools and get comfortable with new maintenance procedures.

At this point, I've done about 10 full tubeless setups and I've done all kinds of tubeless maintenance/swapping tires/retaping/putting fresh sealant in etc. I'm now 100% confident in the technology. I've also figured out a setup process that is foolproof and easy for me. The last tubeless setup I did (a couple of weeks ago on my cross bike) took maybe 25 minutes total. In my opinion (note: opinion), tubeless is better in every way when compared to tube-type clinchers: lower pressures, better ride, better grip, lower (perceived) rolling resistance, dramatically lower chance of puncturing. These are benefits I've seen in the real world over lots of riding.

Pro gear selection is more driven by sponsor commitments and what mechanics are comfortable with than any other factor, but I believe it's inevitable that every pro team will move to tubeless in the next few years.

I believe you are conflating attributes. Those are not inherent to TL, they are related to lower pressure. I mean, Just stop being so scared of "low" pressure. I ride 50 PSI every single day on 28mm with tubes and haven't had any real issues. Certainly none that would warrant converting that bike to TL. If pinch flats at the desired pressure gets to be an issue, TL is not the answer. Bigger tyres is. TL doesnt protect the rim/wheel from too skinny tyres at too low pressure anyway.

Imo most of the arguments for switching to TL is based on FUD. - Thinking you will get pinch flats all the time if the pressure is not 80+ PSI, - thinking flat protected tyres ride like garbage, etc. Its not true. Id even challenge the idea that TL tyres "ride better" even if it cant be quantified in any meaningful way. Why would that be? Usually TL tyres are much more robust and heavy than the same non-TL tyre. Just like the protected tyres everybody like to bag on. At about 50 PSI they all ride just fine
Old 07-12-21, 04:12 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
For me tubeless works very well. Somehow I seem to avoid all these issues trotted out on the forums. I do research my TL tyres carefully though as I do think some brands do tubeless much better than others. I’m a big fan of Pirelli at the moment, having run a couple of pairs now (Cinturato and P-Zero Race).
Im fairly certain no one ever claimed it cant work well. Its the variability of outcome that is infuriating. If TL reliably did what it sad on the box, no one would complain.
Old 07-12-21, 06:34 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,812 Posts
Not really sure why this thread devolved into a discussion on the relative merits of tubeless tires when the first post clear shows that, when you have your own personal mechanics and you are being paid to do so, winners still ride sew ups more than any other kind of tire.
Old 07-12-21, 07:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Not really sure why this thread devolved into a discussion on the relative merits of tubeless tires when the first post clear shows that, when you have your own personal mechanics and you are being paid to do so, winners still ride sew ups more than any other kind of tire.
The OP doesn't like tubeless and owns a Jump to Conclusions mat, so he thought that it was saying something that it's not.
Old 07-12-21, 08:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I believe you are conflating attributes. Those are not inherent to TL, they are related to lower pressure. I mean, Just stop being so scared of "low" pressure. I ride 50 PSI every single day on 28mm with tubes and haven't had any real issues. Certainly none that would warrant converting that bike to TL. If pinch flats at the desired pressure gets to be an issue, TL is not the answer. Bigger tyres is. TL doesnt protect the rim/wheel from too skinny tyres at too low pressure anyway.

Imo most of the arguments for switching to TL is based on FUD. - Thinking you will get pinch flats all the time if the pressure is not 80+ PSI, - thinking flat protected tyres ride like garbage, etc. Its not true. Id even challenge the idea that TL tyres "ride better" even if it cant be quantified in any meaningful way. Why would that be? Usually TL tyres are much more robust and heavy than the same non-TL tyre. Just like the protected tyres everybody like to bag on. At about 50 PSI they all ride just fine
I think it’s quite unusual to find a road tire (in typical 700 x 23-28c sizes) that are spec’d by the manufacturer to run at 50psi, even for light riders. Which tires do you run, and is 50psi within the inflation range on the sidewall. Tubeless are generally rated for lower minimum pressures, but even for them 50psi seems awfully low.

With regard to “robustness” and weight being a basis to impugn the better ride quality of tubeless, where and how the robustness and weight are added makes all the difference; weight alone tells virtually nothing about ride quality. While tubeless generally have weightier, reinforced sidewalls, it’s there to control deleterious flex and to maintain the tire shape under load, things which ensure crisp handling, better wear, and allow lower air pressures. Adding weight under the tread, as with a stiff kevlar anti-puncture belt, decreases tread compliance over the road surface, increases rolling resistance, and diminishes the perception of suppleness and reducing ride quality.

Of course there are tons of construction variations for both tubed and tubeless tires which can push either closer to, or further away from, dreamy ride quality, so generalizations such as “protected tires” are as hollow as using weight variation of 30g-40g as a proxy for ride quality.
Old 07-12-21, 08:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,516 Posts
Is there a tally being done on which brand is being ridden the most? Golf has the Darrell Survey does cycling have something similar?
Old 07-12-21, 08:43 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,042 Posts
If TL reliably did what it sad on the box, no one would complain.
You keep using that “what it says on the box” phrase as if there’s actually box. Or maybe you only read the box and not the instructions?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-13-21, 05:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4461 Post(s)
Liked 4,928 Times in 3,048 Posts
Im fairly certain no one ever claimed it cant work well. Its the variability of outcome that is infuriating. If TL reliably did what it sad on the box, no one would complain.
There's plenty of variation in outcome of running tubed tyres too, depending on the combination of tyre, tube and rim. But they just get discussed less than tubeless because they are not "new". But at least you acknowledge that TL can and does work very well.

At the weekend I did a very long 9 hour road event with around 100 riders. The roads were generally quite good, but included some fairly rough farm tracks. I passed at least 5 guys fixing flats by the roadside (so at least 5% of the field had a flat and I didn't see those who started behind me). Now I must admit I didn't notice if any of the guys who had flats were running tubeless, but I kind of doubt it given that tubeless road is still a bit of a novelty. Anyway no flats for me yet again!
Old 07-13-21, 07:44 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm a firm believer that you learn pretty quickly once you get your hands on things and gain practical experience (as long as you don't quit at the first hint of adversity). I'm also a firm believer that the vast majority of tubeless naysayers online have little-to-no practical experience and/or they tried tubeless when they really weren't in a position to benefit from it. Oh, or they used Stan's.
Probably Stan's.

Buy some plugs, keep a spare tube and you'll be good to go. In many years of riding TL I have yet to have a puncture require a tube and only once needed a top off with CO2. I may have had to wash my bike when I got home (which I was going to do anyway) but that was the worst of it.
Likes For phrantic09: