Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the etiquette on offering help to a cyclist walking with his bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the etiquette on offering help to a cyclist walking with his bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 11:00 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
I carry a patch kit, tube and pump, but not a spare tire. First blow out ever in 40+ years of riding. I've repaired many flats while riding.
So do most people carry a spare tire?
I carry a spare and patch kit and CO2 inflator, chain tool and links + etc. It really isn't much to carry - can all easily fit into a micro seat bag. Never been stranded except when I had some BB issue.

I ride trails a lot so if I see someone who is having some mechanical difficulty I always ask if they are good or need anything. I actually never have gotten taken up on the offer that I can recollect.
Old 02-09-15, 11:28 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I always yell out "Are you OK? Do you need help?".

Then, when they answer either yes or no, I can respond "Great to hear!" and keep riding.
Old 02-10-15, 01:18 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yell "That's why you carry a spare tube, haaahaaaaa (In Nelson voice)"
Old 02-14-15, 06:59 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
...a fully equipped saddle bag...at least they'll have what they need and either muddle through it, or if someone knows how to do it, it can get done.
This is very important. I was riding with my girlfriend to visit her parents an hour away and we came across a young guy who'd badly bent a wheel on his third day out on a cross-country ride. I had no tools but the knowledge. This guy was a novice but had listened when someone suggested which tools and spares he should carry with him. We gave him a lift to the parents' place where I could work in leisure (and shade) using his tools to straighten his wheel and get him going again. He was about 30 miles from the nearest shop, so he might have learned a hard lesson had no one stopped.

As a rule I ask, but once had a very strange experience riding home from a night class. Guy was carrying the bike slung over one shoulder and the front wheel in the other hand. When I asked if he needed help he yelled and cursed at me. He was obviously upset in general and pissed at me in particular so I rode on, but it occurred to me later it was a great way for him to steal a bike.