Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Must Read: Some Definitions of Electrically Assisted Bicycles

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 09:07 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There appears to be some confusion among some members of this forum as to what regulators define as an electrically assisted bicycle. Since my area of interest is Ontario, I have collected this information concerning vehicles sold in Ontario. Other members may wish to post government regulations in their jurisdictions.

It is my hope that this post might become a sticky, so that members considering a purchase will be aware of regulations in their province/state/country.

For the assistance of new members, I ask that posters stick to the post topic and not use this to attack other members or regulators. If you don't like the rules, post your own thread.

Definitions
According to the Highway Traffic Act (Ontario)
Bicycle
Includes a tricycle and unicycle but does not include a motor assisted bicycle

Motor assisted bicycle,
(a) means a bicycle that is fitted with pedals that are operable at all times
(b) weighs no more than fifty-five kilograms

Vehicle
Includes a motor vehicle, trailer, traction engine, farm tractor, road building machine, bicycle and any vehicle drawn, propelled or driven by any kind of power, including muscular power but does not include a motorized snow vehicle or a streetcar.

Ontario Power-assisted bicycle Trial definitions

power-assisted bicycle
  • A power-assisted bicycle is also known as an "electric bicycle" or "e-bike."
  • An e-bike is a bicycle with an added battery powered electric motor that does not exceed 500 watts and can assist the cyclist up to a speed of 32 km/h.
  • It can also be driven like a bicycle without any power assist.
  • The addition of the power assist enables the rider to pedal with less effort, to achieve a greater distance, to climb hills and ride against the wind more easily. In its size, weight, speed and the driving skills required, the e-bike is similar to the conventional bicycle
  • Has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals
  • Is designed to be propelled primarily by muscular power and to travel on not more than three wheels
  • Has a motor that has a power output rating of 500W or less (note: the motor is electric, and is incapable of propelling the cycle at speed of 32km/h or greater on level ground, without pedaling.)
  • Must bear label indicating vehicle as a "Power-Assisted Bicycle".
Old 01-10-08, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
here ya go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hmm.JPG (4.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 01-11-08, 08:36 AM
stokell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
karma posted a sticker (sadly not legible) that must be on all ebikes in Ontario stating that the vehicle passes federal safety regulations. These regulations are Canadian standards. Provinces get to trump these standards as they are the regulators.

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT
An Act to regulate the manufacture and
importation of motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment to reduce the risk of death, injury and damage to property and the environment

"power-assisted bicycle"« bicyclette assistée »
"power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that:
(a) has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals,
(b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,
(c) is capable of being propelled by muscular power,
(d) has one or more electric motors that have, singly or in combination, the following characteristics:
(i) it has a total continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of each motor, of 500 W or less,
(ii) if it is engaged by the use of muscular power, power assistance immediately ceases when the muscular power ceases,
(iii) if it is engaged by the use of an accelerator controller, power assistance immediately ceases when the brakes are applied, and
(iv) it is incapable of providing further assistance when the bicycle attains a speed of 32 km/h on level ground,
(e) bears a label that is permanently affixed by the manufacturer and appears in a conspicuous location stating, in both official languages, that the vehicle is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in this subsection, and
(f) has one of the following safety features,
(i) an enabling mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that is separate from the accelerator controller and fitted in such a manner that it is operable by the driver, or
(ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the bicycle attains a speed of 3 km/h.
Old 01-11-08, 06:52 PM
Golectric
Share the Bike Lane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is some good info

https://www.icbc.com/registration/reg...std_cycles.asp
Old 01-12-08, 08:09 AM
Digikid
Veloteqs ARE E-BIKES!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stokell I respect your opinion and all but I must sadly 100% DISAGREE with you. These are indeed E-BIKES and nothing more.

You are quite persistant...I will give you that much. LOL!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-08, 01:01 PM
Golectric
Share the Bike Lane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Stokell, I would really like to see a link to where you got this from
Motor assisted bicycle,
A motor assisted bicycle is also know as a Moped and must be licensed and insured. An e-bike as of yet does not have a defined wieght limit in Ontario.
Old 01-12-08, 02:03 PM
stokell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Golectric

Motor assisted bicycle,

A motor assisted bicycle is also know as a Moped and must be licensed and insured. An e-bike as of yet does not have a defined wieght limit in Ontario.
My authority is none other than the Highway Traffic Act. Every law enforcement officer in Ontario has a short form. You can buy one from a book store or read it on-line at:
https://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm
Old 01-12-08, 02:05 PM
stokell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digikid
Stokell I respect your opinion and all but I must sadly 100% DISAGREE with you. These are indeed E-BIKES and nothing more.

You are quite persistant...I will give you that much. LOL!!!!!!!
This thread deals with law. If you disagree with the law, I advise you to contact your politician.

If you disagree with me posting this thread; start your own.
Old 01-12-08, 02:23 PM
Digikid
Veloteqs ARE E-BIKES!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not opposed to this thread....I am opposed about the incorrect information stated in your post. Veloteq Ebikes are exactly that...E-BIKES. They follow every defination of an Ebike and therefore are indeed E-Bikes. Nothing more nothing less.

power-assisted bicycle
    True...which is what my Veloteq IS.
  • An e-bike is a bicycle with an added battery powered electric motor that does not exceed 500 watts and can assist the cyclist up to a speed of 32 km/h.
    Ditto
    It can be a little hard but ditto on this as well.
  • The addition of the power assist enables the rider to pedal with less effort, to achieve a greater distance, to climb hills and ride against the wind more easily. In its size, weight, speed and the driving skills required, the e-bike is similar to the conventional bicycle
    Framewise....ditto.
    Ditto
  • Is designed to be propelled primarily by muscular power and to travel on not more than three wheels
    Depends on the rider...otherwise ditto.
  • Has a motor that has a power output rating of 500W or less (note: the motor is electric, and is incapable of propelling the cycle at speed of 32km/h or greater on level ground, without pedaling.)

Ditto

Also ditto as well.

Defeated by your own reasoning bud.

Last edited by Digikid; 01-12-08 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-12-08, 02:31 PM
Veloteq
Veloteq1

Bikes: Veloteq Commander SHO750, Veloteq Ranger Electric Step-through Trail Bike, Veloteq La Tote Folding Ebike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Legal Definition: Ontario, Power Assisted Bicycle

The law passed by the Ontario Legislature which defines a power assisted electric bicycle is totally harmonized with the Federal Regulation, MVSA Subpara. 2.1. It makes no reference to the use muscular power, nor is there any reference to weight or configuration. This is the empowering legislation, verbatim. If one is compliant with this definition, there is no need for confusion.

ONTARIO REGULATION 473/06
made under the
HIGHWAY TRAFFIC ACT
Made: August 24, 2006
Filed: October 3, 2006
Published on e-Laws: October 4, 2006
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: October 21, 2006
PILOT PROJECT — POWER-ASSISTED BICYCLES
Definition
1. (1) In this Regulation,
“power-assisted bicycle” means a bicycle that,
(a) is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in subsection 2 (1) of the Motor Vehicle
Safety Regulations made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), and
(b) bears a label affixed by the manufacturer in compliance with the definition
referred to in clause (a).
(2) A power-assisted bicycle is deemed to not be a motor vehicle under the Act.
Pilot project re power-assisted bicycles
2. A pilot project to evaluate the use of power-assisted bicycles on highways is
established.
Regulation of power-assisted bicycles
3. (1) Under this project, any person who is 16 years old or over may ride or drive a
power-assisted bicycle on a highway.
(2) No person who is the owner or is in possession or control of a power-assisted
bicycle shall permit a person who is under 16 years old to ride or drive the power-assisted
bicycle on a highway.
(3) Subject to subsections (1) and (2) and despite the definitions of “bicycle” and
“motor assisted bicycle” in subsection 1 (1) of the Act, the Act applies to a power-assisted
bicycle and the riding or driving of a power-assisted bicycle as if it were a bicycle and not a
motor assisted bicycle or motor vehicle.
(4) Despite section 5 of Regulation 610 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990
(Safety Helmets) made under the Act, no person shall ride or drive a power-assisted bicycle on a
highway unless he or she is wearing a bicycle helmet as required by subsection 104 (2.1) of the
Act.
Revocation
4. This Regulation is revoked on the third anniversary of the day it is filed.
Old 01-12-08, 03:15 PM
stokell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not opposed to this thread....I am opposed about the incorrect information stated in your post. Veloteq Ebikes are exactly that...E-BIKES. They follow every defination of an Ebike and therefore are indeed E-Bikes. Nothing more nothing less.

power-assisted bicycle
    True...which is what my Veloteq IS.
    Ditto
    It can be a little hard but ditto on this as well.
    Framewise....ditto.
    Ditto
    Depends on the rider...otherwise ditto.

Ditto

Also ditto as well.

Defeated by your own reasoning bud.

Take a deep breath, then read this thread thoroughly. It's not about you. This is a post about law. You don't argue about law, you change it. If you don't like what has been posted, then start your own post called "Why I Don't like the Law".

I have posted no incorrect informatiom in this thread and I consider any suggestion as a personal attack.

We all love electric bikes. That's good. We all would like them to be legal that's good.

In Ontario in October, 2009, our government will decide which ebikes allowed will be allowed after the test phase as well as which will be regulated and which will not. This thread, as explained at the beginning is not about opinion. It is about current regulations.

As I hope this post becomes a sticky, I respectfully ask you to post your opinions on a separate thread.
Old 01-13-08, 02:46 PM
Digikid
Veloteqs ARE E-BIKES!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stokell
I have posted no incorrect informatiom in this thread and I consider any suggestion as a personal attack.
Sorry but that is just plain wrong and self rightous.

As I hope this post becomes a sticky, I respectfully ask you to post your opinions on a separate thread.
Freedom of speech is a good thing no?

Sorry but until you realize that what you are spouting out is incorrect I cannot sit by.

Yesterday I want to my local Licence Bureau and brought my Ebike with me. I then asked them what it is truly classed as....guess what....they agreed with me that it is an Ebike and nothing more. Sorry to say that I will take their word over yours any day...respectfully. Same with Veloteq. They designed them and they know what they designed...an Ebike...nothing more.

Sorry to say this but you need to stop being so Elitest and get with the program bud. I am not attacking you....just telling you the truth.

Last edited by Digikid; 01-13-08 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 07:43 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In Ontario in October, 2009, our government will decide which ebikes allowed will be allowed after the test phase as well as which will be regulated and which will not..
This is the key thing, I think. At this moment, they are Ebikes, the government, if it so wishes, could change that. Of course, that would be stupid, and governments never do anything stupid, right?
Old 01-13-08, 07:51 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is the Alberta definition, the restrictions are on the next page.
https://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/1030.htm
Old 01-14-08, 05:06 AM
Digikid
Veloteqs ARE E-BIKES!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
This is the key thing, I think. At this moment, they are Ebikes, the government, if it so wishes, could change that. Of course, that would be stupid, and governments never do anything stupid, right?

Well I have NEVER known a Government to do anything right....that for sure.

Coldfeet....that is a Gas Powered Model.....we are debating over the Electric versions known as Ebikes.
Old 01-14-08, 06:26 AM
mike-on-da-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in sydney we have the dumbest ebike law that states we can only use a pedal assist electric powered bike yes its not called a vechile over here and that peddle assist bikes motor must not exceed a tiny 200 watts lol this is one of thos cases where some idiot got it so wrong and didnt take into acount 200 watts isnt even as fast as pedaling a normal bike geeee man you dont need to be a rocket scientist to work this one out,hopefully they will change this silly law very soon as people do want to use these electric bike but they all say 200 is usless
Old 01-14-08, 06:28 AM
mike-on-da-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ps nomal rider can put out 750 watts by his legs i am told
Old 01-14-08, 03:04 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.veloteq.com/links_to_laws.htm
Veloteq has a link page to ebike regulations in both the US and Canada.
Old 01-14-08, 03:44 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This isn't quite so black and white. Legally, the style of e-bike as a pseudo scooter such as the Veloteq is indeed still within legal boundaries. If you consider it from a point of view which takes abstract human logic into effect rather than a simple yes/no (which personally, I find both you Stokell and you Digikid, to be guilty of), then the answer is quite simple: grey area.

Veloteq meets the basic guidelines, and in the area concerning "primarily designed for muscular power", this particular section can be considered as useless as the definition of "Has a motor that has a power output rating of 500W or less (note: the motor is electric, and is incapable of propelling the cycle at speed of 32km/h or greater on level ground, without pedaling.)"

As we all know, 500w of output can have drastically different results based on setup, and is for all realistic purposes a useless definition.

The same can be said of "Is designed to be propelled primarily by muscular power", as you simply cannot state simply due to design that this is violated: I simply see no way that you could legally define something which, when all things being relatively even, is up to the rider, and not the vehicle. Unless there is a clear cut case (such as the forementioned faux scooter e-bikes with *completely* non-functional pedals), one cannot justify this point.

The closest limitation that the Veloteq comes near violating is "In its size, weight, speed and the driving skills required, the e-bike is similar to the conventional bicycle"

Now, the weight is a clear disparity and cannot even come close to compare. Veloteq's weigh as much as 8 normal bicycles. If you really wanted to nab Veloteq on something, this would be it. But wait, go read the Canada Gazette, 2001 edition section, Vol. II, April 11th release, and go down to SQR 117
https://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/20...f/g2-13508.pdf

So, what do you see mentioning weight?

Absolutely nothing aside from wording. There's no solid upper limit set by the government of Canada. Here in Alberta there is one, one which the Veloteq violates, I believe, but there you are. Now, i'll have a counterpoint to my own point in a bit, but I must go work on this Paquet before its due. Will continue this on later, but ultimately my point is going to be, you're both right *and* wrong. Sort of. Be patient. Back in a bit.

Alright, so i've returned.

Now, as mentioned, there is currently no weight limitation for an electric-assist bicycle in Canada unless provided distinctly through *provincial* legislation. However, its well worth noting, that as in this post:

Motor assisted bicycle,

A motor assisted bicycle is also know as a Moped and must be licensed and insured. An e-bike as of yet does not have a defined weight limit in Ontario.

Motor assisted bicycles currently *do* have a weight limit, one which is 55kg (20kg lower than the limit here in Alberta, where the Veloteq is over the limit. This would place the Veloteq style of scooter FAR above the limit, were this also imposed on e-bike legislation)

They fall in line with e-bike laws at the moment, but as demonstrated by the poorly thought out regulations of:

Is designed to be propelled primarily by muscular power and to travel on not more than three wheels
Has a motor that has a power output rating of 500W or less (note: the motor is electric, and is incapable of propelling the cycle at speed of 32km/h or greater on level ground, without pedaling.)

its apparently obvious to me, that the e-bike regulations here in Canada are poorly thought out *to begin with*

It also seems to be notable that they had the insight to provide limitations for the motorized bicycle class, but failed to set solid guidelines on e-bikes, leaving nothing but unenforcable murk.

I can't personally think of a reason to set a defined limitation on a vehicle designed for primarily motor driven use while leaving a primarily human powered vehicle unregulated. It seems backwards.

Until an official with the proper credentials and station of the government can effectively display how the first point can even be decided, or how the second point even serves a purpose, I consider my opinion to be valid.

Now, as i've said before, in order to define an accurate weight limitation for a human powered vehicle, testing and research would be required, and i'm not about to start spewing any numbers. What I do know personally however, is that while the scooter style e-bike might be within "legal boundaries", as far as my own personal cycling boundaries are concerned, 165lbs of too wide, too awkward is well out of line with what I feel is a "bicycle".

I believe then, that you come to a point where legally, Digikid has the ball, whereas from a human perspective, Stokell does.

Last edited by Abneycat; 01-14-08 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 03:52 PM
Digikid
Veloteqs ARE E-BIKES!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Abneycat. I have no problem admitting if I am wrong....however in this case of DEFINATION I stay by my previous judgement. Yes the Veloteqs are heavy. Granted. However that by itself does not make it a non Ebike.

Good Read though.
Old 01-14-08, 04:44 PM
electrogreen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems some posters to this thread have a clear conflict of interest. Is there anyone here who sells or works for someone directly or indirectly who sells what is currently being sold as an electric bike?

This is starting to sound like a Veloteq forum.
Old 01-14-08, 05:18 PM
EricJ

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Comp w/FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike-on-da-bike
ps nomal rider can put out 750 watts by his legs i am told
Only if you wear blue underwear on the outside and have a big red S on your shirt.

Normal pedaling requires around 100 watts. It is said that Lance Armstrong can maintain 500 watts for about 20 minutes. My guess is the rest of us are closer to the 100 watt end than the 500 watt end. So a 200 watt assist isn't all that bad.

Eric
Old 01-14-08, 07:05 PM
Golectric
Share the Bike Lane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there anyone here who sells or works for someone directly or indirectly who sells what is currently being sold as an electric bike?
Yep, Me

The problem as I see it is that people are trying to define what a bike is when really what governments are trying to do is promote a green form of transportation. The masses will not ride open frame bikes with motors but they will use lower powered scooter style ebikes. Just ask 16 millon Chinese riders.

This is starting to sound like a Veloteq forum
Whats wrong with that
Old 01-14-08, 08:04 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I have NEVER known a Government to do anything right....that for sure.

Coldfeet....that is a Gas Powered Model.....we are debating over the Electric versions known as Ebikes.
Errrm... No. Have another look.
"has a motor that produces not more than 750 watts and is driven by electricity or has an engine"

EDIT: I'm sorry, did I leave off the sarcasm tag in my original reply?

Last edited by coldfeet; 01-14-08 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 08:09 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abneycat
Motor assisted bicycles currently *do* have a weight limit, one which is 55kg (20kg lower than the limit here in Alberta, where the Veloteq is over the limit. This would place the Veloteq style of scooter FAR above the limit, were this also imposed on e-bike legislation)
Did you mean higher than the Alberta limits?
Originally Posted by Abneycat
its apparently obvious to me, that the e-bike regulations here in Canada are poorly thought out *to begin with*
Got to totally agree with you there.

I'm just working on being happy we have something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.