Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Are Landis' allegations true?
Landis' allegations are likely true
61.94%
Landis' allegations are likely false
23.51%
Don't know, too early to tell
14.55%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 12:12 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rogwilco
Btw, it's really annoying that posts from other forums are constantly getting moved into this thread, can't you just close all other threads and tell the people to post here?
get over it.
Old 05-20-10, 12:13 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
I guess Landis must be bankrupt because he is going to get sued for libel so hard.
Think about it. Do you really think Armstrong wants an extremely public trial to give Landis a national platform to broadcast these allegations for days on end?

And Armstrong would get to suffer through the testimony of this witness list: Ferrari, Emma O Reilly, Steve Swart, Mike Anderson, Betsy Andreu, Frankie Andreu, as well as Landis.

Then he'd get to hear again about the 1999 positive EPO test, and the steroid test.

It would not be a pretty 3 weeks for Armstrong.

Much easier to just dismiss the whole thing to the rantings of a bitter washed up has been with a reported drinking problem. Express pity for Landis and move on, case closed.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-20-10, 12:14 PM
jzsoup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Cue the SNL Doping Olympics clip.

I never saw that. Got a link?
Old 05-20-10, 12:15 PM
Kadowaki

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've tussled with this because I met him shortly after and judged that he was telling the truth, but over time the evidence seemed to contradict his innocence. I subsequently decided they are all dirty, and I still think that.

However, if you read the interviews in some detail, it turns out that he admits to using testosterone, HCG and transfusions. However, at the time he was "caught" he was not using testosterone. He now concedes that there is no point in pursuing this further since he did use testosterone at some point.

This makes sense to me: He did illegal things, but at the time he was caught, he was "innocent" of the exact deed he was accused of so he would have reason to believe he could challenge the testing and beat the rap.

It's resolved in my mind for now.

Surely there are competitors who are cheating and I believe that anyone that can compete must be doing the same.
Old 05-20-10, 12:17 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by jzsoup
I never saw that. Got a link?
can't acces youtube on this computer.

Google SNL all drug olympics.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-20-10, 12:18 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I appreciate Floyd's new strategy, and I figure he's probably telling the truth now. But after being that deep into denial for so long, it will take him a while to rise up to the believability level of Jose Canseco.
Old 05-20-10, 12:23 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there is some merit to him saying that yes he was doping but the positive they got was wrong. Basically saying yes you caught me but for the wrong thing only emphasizing how screwed up your system is.
Old 05-20-10, 12:25 PM
Greg180
Realist

Bikes: Roubaix, Tarmac, Fixed Gear

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If he was just trying to clear his conscious why not admit the truth, make restitution to those that believed in your lie and go enjoy your life. There is no upside here for Landis.
Old 05-20-10, 12:26 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
His book is probably going to become a collector's item now.
He can write another one now which will undoubtedly sell more copies than the first.
Old 05-20-10, 12:27 PM
DArthurBrown
Chasing the horizon.

Bikes: 2016 Felt F75, 2008 Mercier Corvus Steel, 2006 Trek 4300, 1985 Trek 620 (modernized)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Sad day for cycling any way you slice it boys.
Exactly. There is no scenario where this will end up good for anyone.

Unless there is some massive investigation that ends up condemning Landis as a liar and exonerating everyone else. I think that's unlikely.
Old 05-20-10, 12:27 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I appreciate Floyd's new strategy, and I figure he's probably telling the truth now. But after being that deep into denial for so long, it will take him a while to rise up to the believability level of Jose Canseco.
If the believability level of Canseco is a significant step up he's REALLY got a long road.
Old 05-20-10, 12:29 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jzsoup
The best way to make it a level playing field is to just allow them all to dope.
I've thought that for years. No rules. Turn pro cycling into a freak show like bodybuilding.

The downside is the kids that want to be just like the pros.
Old 05-20-10, 12:29 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now Lance crashed and abandoned the TOC.
Old 05-20-10, 12:31 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Think about it. Do you really think Armstrong wants an extremely public trial to give Landis a national platform to broadcast these allegations for days on end?

And Armstrong would get to suffer through the testimony of this witness list: Ferrari, Emma O Reilly, Steve Swart, Mike Anderson, Betsy Andreu, Frankie Andreu, as well as Landis.

Then he'd get to hear again about the 1999 positive EPO test, and the steroid test.

It would not be a pretty 3 weeks for Armstrong.

Much easier to just dismiss the whole thing to the rantings of a bitter washed up has been with a reported drinking problem. Express pity for Landis and move on, case closed.
There'll be no libel or slander suit from Armstrong. See post #274.

And add Lance's ex-wife, Bruyneel, Sheryl Crow et al to the list of people who'll have to be deposed under oath, if there were to be a slander/libel lawsuit.

It's not gonna happen, period!
Old 05-20-10, 12:33 PM
jzsoup

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
can't acces youtube on this computer.

Google SNL all drug olympics.

Just watched it. That's hilarious.

All I'm saying is that if everybody is doping (and I think they are) then just let 'em dope. If everyone is allowed to admit they're doping, then at least we as spectators know it's a fair race. I'm not suggesting that it's morally correct.

And if some guys legs explode on a climb, ala SNL style, then more people will watch, then a major network will pick up the coverage, and I won't have to upgrade my cable package during July just to watch the tour. Just kidding, but not really.
Old 05-20-10, 12:35 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Now Lance crashed and abandoned the TOC.
nice spoiler.
jrobe

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Can you believe any cyclist these days - even in your local races?

https://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...22-1-P,00.html
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulex
Why not? It's not always about the money. Being the one to break the home run record would be worth more than any money they would have gained. People also seem to forget that baseball knew about and privately supported what these guys were doing. Sosa and McGuired fricking saved baseball BECAUSE they were on roids.
For a number of obvious reasons. In MLB for these big stars it's really stupid. Take the long view. Like Derek Jeter. DJ is going to the Hall of Fame, and he'll be stinkin rich. McGuire, ARod, Bonds... who knows? They would still have been rich without doping, still in the Hall of Fame, now they'll be rich and potentially a disgrace to their sport.

For cyclists it's quite different in my view. Far more to gain and less to lose. The difference between being Lance who won 7 Tours or Lance who didn't and only made a few hundred K annually and retired in obscurity may not be that great. A few years of clandestine and clever doping at the highest level. Greater rewards for a similar crime. My point is those ball players would have been still been rich (arguably in the long term richer) without doping in the first place. Hard to fathom.
Old 05-20-10, 12:36 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Landis lied to everyone, except for like 3 people, about his deteriorating hip. Including most of his teammates, who were relying on him being healthy. For years.

Then, he gets accused of doping, proclaims his innocence far and wide, says he never doped, pulls out all the stops in his defense, and mounts a massive PR assault on every organization remotely connected to the adverse finding. Now he's admitting that he spent years lying and fighting and soliciting donations for his defense.

It is possible he's (finally) telling the truth. I for one find it very likely that most pro cyclists, either briefly or long-term, indulged in PED's. Unfortunately he has clearly demonstrated that he is an accomplished liar. I don't see how he can be regarded as credible, let alone any indication that he is aware of how thoroughly he has damaged his own credibility.
Old 05-20-10, 12:37 PM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
If Landis could dope as much and as often as he is now saying he did but only get caught once, then anyone and everyone in pro cycling is suspect. For one, the dopers are ahead of the testers (not that that is saying anything new). Secondly, whether the specific people that Landis has named are involved may be contested I also doubt very much that he could cheat for as long as he says without somebody else in his teams' organization knowing about it.
Old 05-20-10, 12:38 PM
Kadowaki

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GP
I've thought that for years. No rules. Turn pro cycling into a freak show like bodybuilding.

And pro wrestling. The problem is many of those guys die young.

I think a big deterent in the past has been Lance's legal team suing people who suddenly back down. I believe Floyd has nothing, literally and figuratively, to lose now. Every other doper got back on a pro team, he's on Bahati. I think the timing is related to his attempt to join Rock Racing and the announcement that they would not get to race in the big leagues in Europe.
Old 05-20-10, 12:39 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
nice spoiler.
+1

Thanks for that.
Old 05-20-10, 12:40 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
For a number of obvious reasons. In MLB for these big stars it's really stupid. Take the long view. Like Derek Jeter. DJ is going to the Hall of Fame, and he'll be stinkin rich. McGuire, ARod, Bonds... who knows? They would still have been rich without doping, still in the Hall of Fame, now they'll be rich and potentially a disgrace to their sport.

For cyclists it's quite different in my view. Far more to gain and less to lose. The difference between being Lance who won 7 Tours or Lance who didn't and only made a few hundred K annually and retired in obscurity may not be that great. A few years of clandestine and clever doping at the highest level. Greater rewards for a similar crime. My point is those ball players would have been still been rich (arguably in the long term richer) without doping in the first place. Hard to fathom.
Like I said, for some, fame is bigger than money. And, I imagine most of these people truely believe they can have both.
Old 05-20-10, 12:41 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LUCAS
There'll be no libel or slander suit from Armstrong. See post #274.

And add Lance's ex-wife, Bruyneel, Sheryl Crow et al to the list of people who'll have to be deposed under oath, if there were to be a slander/libel lawsuit.

It's not gonna happen, period!
oh. okay.
Old 05-20-10, 12:46 PM
jzsoup

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GP

I agree with you about the kids. I'm doing my best to make sure my kids don't think sports figures are heros. So many fall from grace, in every sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.