Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where have all the good bikes gone?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 09:03 AM
gl1000honda3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I have noticed the same here in the great white north...Randy you can jump in anytime here?...IMO, the boomer push is on, there are many, many of us who grew up feeling what it was like going from single speed coaster to 10 speed zoom. I believe we just want to rekindle some past time that was precious in memory...Oh the freedom of the ride, on my first bike boom 10 speed..a 75.00 Black Knight, generic...not very high end...Priceless to me.

Ride...Ride Safe
Old 01-26-13, 09:12 AM
gl1000honda3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more FYI....

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Origi...item2c6beeeb3d

Amazing and more amazing look at the price...This is where the boom is taking us...Shame really?
Old 01-26-13, 09:24 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Here
Old 01-26-13, 09:25 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
ODDJOB's TOP TEN REASONS C & V BIKES ARE HARD TO FIND:

1. Thrifty Bill and I are cornering the market! I have about a year's inventory of flippable bikes and I know Bill has more than I do.

2. Classic and vintage goods are hip among the young, particularly if it's shiny. I was at a New Years Eve party, where the twenty something guys were discussing their watch collections, both vintage and new, like women discuss shoes. BTW, these guys are not metrosexuals! One of the guy's girlfriend was into mid-century furniture and household goods in a big way (she has bought two C&V bikes from me).

3. Riding bikes is probably far more popular just in the last few years as cities become more bike friendly and boomer children enter their college years and work force. I've noticed around Ann Arbor that bike racks that used to be empty are now always nearly full at peak periods, and few if any of the bikes are newer than ten years. Did you notice that even the Obama motorcade did its inaugural drive in bike lanes absent in DC just a few years ago? High cost of automobile acquisition, parking, fuel, and insurance also delay the auto purchase for those entering an uncertain work place, so a bike is substitute transportation.

4. Except for beer commercials, you can't watch a TV ad that doesn't feature bicycles, whether pitching to retirees or hipsters. Think of all the pharmeceutical, travel, food, and even Toyota Venzana ads that feature bicycles.

5. Anyone shopping at an LBS or REI will quickly notice that decent bikes start at over $500, with CF road bikes starting at closer to $1200. New bike prices reinforce the value of that old bike hanging in the garage!

6. Old bikes are less attractive to bike thieves.

7. It is easier to recycle, with curbside recycling, recycling drop off centers, and cruising scrappers. If I put anything that a magnet sticks to out in the alley or curb, it is gone within 24 hours! The increasing population of OCD heads of households will immediately purge anything with rust or dirt on it as well.

8. With less homeowners cutting their own lawns and shoveling snow, there is more room inthe garage for things like bikes! There are also so many "off the floor" storage techniques now too.

9. Since everyone has wifi, 3G or 4G, deals can be struck in minutes, not days. I have been scooped inside of 20 minutes from ad posting time on more than one occasion.

10. There is more competition for them. Just think every metro craigslist has a few dominant DKO sellers who scour every garage sale, work with the eviction cleaning companies, etc. Also, there are more second hand stores and NFP storefronts like Goodwill, St. Vincent DePaul, and the plethora of McDonald's (Kroc family) sponsored Salvation Army stores. Also, there are many heartless part-out kings of ebay, who have love only for the $$$, not for the whole bike.
Old 01-26-13, 09:30 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I ain't tellin'.

But I'll drop this hint. Ebay and Craigslist have made everyone think their bikes are valuable.
And with people laying down long green on Varsitys, it's no wonder.
Old 01-26-13, 09:32 AM
Refresco
Steel=Real, Real≠Steel

Bikes: Waterford Rando, Mondia City Slicker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller

Ebay and Craigslist have made everyone think their bikes are valuable.
True to the point that it is annoying to even speak to the people selling them.

I was looking at an old Nishiki... really low end and it was horribly rusted, steel wheels, lowest suntour components. I offered the guy 35$ and he said "No way, I've seen bikes like this [I guess he mean "old bikes"] go for 200$ or more!"

What does one even say to something like that?
Old 01-26-13, 09:34 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 249 Posts
Grady (Gomango) has bought up all the good bikes in the Twin Cities area.
Old 01-26-13, 09:35 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 2,431 Times in 909 Posts
Aside from the comments about the ease of finding value, more venues for for selling, and increased numbers of people going after this stuff, I believe that the vast reserves of vintage bikes have been "mined-out" and moved on to collectors.

At this point, a bike from the 70's would have to been in the possession of the original owner for over 40 years. Anyone other than hardcore hoarders has disposed of their bike by this point. As time marches on, the numbers of these bikes gets smaller and smaller.

I've seen the same thing happen with all the vintage hobbies I have. It's been over 5 years since I've found a large stash (or any) vaccum tubes. Same thing with vintage stereo gear.
Old 01-26-13, 09:38 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 484 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked 6,877 Times in 2,658 Posts
Hmm, the OP seems to start this thread or its cousin every few months:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ive?highlight=
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ale?highlight=
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht!?highlight=
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ls!?highlight=

It's the Flippah' channel!
Old 01-26-13, 09:45 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,779 Times in 954 Posts
As many of you know, I spend a fair amount of time collecting bicycles from the local landfill site, which I call The Dump. You would all crap at how many bicycles are pitched away each year. During the Spring, Summer and Fall, I have to make three trips per week, filling my truck each time, just to keep up.

I, personally, collect at least 300 bikes, each year, from The Dump and leave twice as many, or more, since I have no way to process more than I take for Bikes for Humanity. That means that our Dump in Thunder Bay gets, probably, about 1000 bikes pitched away each year. And Thunder Bay has a population of roughly 100,000 thousand people. Imagine how many bikes in a city representing 1,000,000 people would get pitched.

So, and my math will suck for reasons I won't go into here, if TB pitches 1000 bikes a year, the big city will pitch 10,000 per year.

Now, multiply that number by, let's say 1000, for all of the other 1,000,000 plus sized cities, and you start to get an idea of how many bicycles are scrapped annually, just in North America.

So, NA has traditionally been pitching 10,000 x 1000 = 10,000,000 bikes annually for, let's say, the past 20 years. The number is staggering, coming out at close to, if not more than, 200,000,000 bicycles in just twenty years(the Bike Boom took place 40 years ago). Again, I cannot do math well anymore so if the numbers don't add up, help out. Anyway...

Those bikes are gone!

What's left? What you see and you have not seen them all yet. But even so, I still get my 300 bikes per year from The Dump and leave at least as many. And, think about this...

We have not even taken all the smaller landfill sites into consideration. Again, the number of bikes destroyed is staggering.

Course, I could be wrong.
Old 01-26-13, 09:53 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyT
I won't even hope to understand how you did this.
But my contribution to the thread is that the emails I get from my Ebay watch list have tailed off dramatically in the past couple months. Shocking, really.

Old 01-26-13, 09:55 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 236 Posts
Maybe ride one of the MANY bikes you have, instead of complaining that you can't get more & more & more? Yep.
Old 01-26-13, 10:04 AM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Hmmm... Lots of vintage bikes hanging around. One just needs to know where to look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
005.jpg (103.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg
008.jpg (102.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-26-13, 10:14 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
ODDJOB's TOP TEN REASONS C & V BIKES ARE HARD TO FIND:

1. Thrifty Bill and I are cornering the market! I have about a year's inventory of flippable bikes and I know Bill has more than I do.

2. Classic and vintage goods are hip among the young, particularly if it's shiny. I was at a New Years Eve party, where the twenty something guys were discussing their watch collections, both vintage and new, like women discuss shoes. BTW, these guys are not metrosexuals! One of the guy's girlfriend was into mid-century furniture and household goods in a big way (she has bought two C&V bikes from me).

3. Riding bikes is probably far more popular just in the last few years as cities become more bike friendly and boomer children enter their college years and work force. I've noticed around Ann Arbor that bike racks that used to be empty are now always nearly full at peak periods, and few if any of the bikes are newer than ten years. Did you notice that even the Obama motorcade did its inaugural drive in bike lanes absent in DC just a few years ago? High cost of automobile acquisition, parking, fuel, and insurance also delay the auto purchase for those entering an uncertain work place, so a bike is substitute transportation.

4. Except for beer commercials, you can't watch a TV ad that doesn't feature bicycles, whether pitching to retirees or hipsters. Think of all the pharmeceutical, travel, food, and even Toyota Venzana ads that feature bicycles.

5. Anyone shopping at an LBS or REI will quickly notice that decent bikes start at over $500, with CF road bikes starting at closer to $1200. New bike prices reinforce the value of that old bike hanging in the garage!

6. Old bikes are less attractive to bike thieves.

7. It is easier to recycle, with curbside recycling, recycling drop off centers, and cruising scrappers. If I put anything that a magnet sticks to out in the alley or curb, it is gone within 24 hours! The increasing population of OCD heads of households will immediately purge anything with rust or dirt on it as well.

8. With less homeowners cutting their own lawns and shoveling snow, there is more room inthe garage for things like bikes! There are also so many "off the floor" storage techniques now too.

9. Since everyone has wifi, 3G or 4G, deals can be struck in minutes, not days. I have been scooped inside of 20 minutes from ad posting time on more than one occasion.

10. There is more competition for them. Just think every metro craigslist has a few dominant DKO sellers who scour every garage sale, work with the eviction cleaning companies, etc. Also, there are more second hand stores and NFP storefronts like Goodwill, St. Vincent DePaul, and the plethora of McDonald's (Kroc family) sponsored Salvation Army stores. Also, there are many heartless part-out kings of ebay, who have love only for the $$$, not for the whole bike.
In short, you and Thrifty Bill are to blame.

I'll buy that!

edit: And Randy and Gomango too!

Last edited by auchencrow; 01-26-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-26-13, 10:14 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by retyred
Hmmm... Lots of vintage bikes hanging around. One just needs to know where to look.

You had better not tell us where you live!
Old 01-26-13, 10:17 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa

I, personally, collect at least 300 bikes, each year, from The Dump and leave twice as many, or more, since I have no way to process more than I take for Bikes for Humanity.
How many are Cinellis?
Old 01-26-13, 10:21 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Anyone who has scoured their local Craigslist and garage sales lately has to have noticed that there are far fewer
good C&V bikes to be had than there was just a few years ago.
When one pops, it's rare that it's not a rough, rusty old project priced like a pristine road-ready rehab - but that's just another indication of supply and demand in action: Short supply drives demand - and price.

- So what has happened to all the decent C&V bikes?
There were literally millions of bikes built during the boom, but where are they now?
The numbers appearing for sale on eBay surely don't account for them all. (Even the numbers all you hoarders have in your garages can't do that.)

I know that there were far more low-end boom bikes made than Raleigh Pro's, Moto Team Champions and Colnago SC's, but these days I am happy just to find a couple of steel-wheeled Raleigh-Record flippers at a fair price. The bikes just aren't there in the numbers we might reasonably expect.

-Are they still under wraps, waiting in some evil speculator's warehouse, waiting for the day when their values will peak and he will unload them all?
-Did the junk man get them already?
-Did Drew tire of his "creations", and scrap them?
-Is there a conspiracy on the part of the crabon industry to gather up and destroy every C&V bike, thus forcing us to buy their wares?

What's your take?
Well there you go! The crabon industry is gathering them up!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-26-13, 10:23 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Certainly - any bike worth anything if put curbside will scarfed up in a New York minute. But where do they go from there? Are the scavengers EATING them? I am only slightly exaggerating when I say that a few years ago a cursive review of my local CL would have turned half as many bikes as I see on eBay nation-wide today.
YES! You said yourself the crabon industry is gathering them up! forcing us to buy their wares! Apparently they're feeding them to the crabs! They're scavengers! Come on man! Wake up to the reality! You tell everybody. Listen to me, auchencrow. You've gotta tell them! Crabs are C and V bikes! We've gotta stop them somehow!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 01-26-13 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-26-13, 10:23 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Old 01-26-13, 10:31 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Grady (Gomango) has bought up all the good bikes in the Twin Cities area.
Absolutely correct.

.....and now I'm selling a few here and there.

That's how I can afford a new custom Dave Anderson for example.

With two boys heading off to college, I will somehow have to make do with 6-7 bicycles, not 26.

Seriously though, tuition for these two will set us back roughly $75,000 per year.

Not a lot of room for new bicycles for the next five years.
Old 01-26-13, 10:36 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 356 Posts

Just was looking at my local CL listings and found a dozen or so bikes I would buy. Grand Prix's galore, Gitane, Urago, Jeunet. About a hundo each. Not much meat on the bone for flipping, but plenty of good riders.
Better quality stuff is out there, just gotta dig for it. Making good business connections is key. I have several people calling me with their "finds".
It's all a big treasure hunt. Just more hunters now than a few years ago. Garbage pickers, estate sale hunters, metal scrappers, everyone looking for something to make a few bucks on. Of course now that we are on the road to economic recovery, how many years now?, we should be seeing more bikes available as the millions of unemployed go back to work. Yeah right!
Old 01-26-13, 10:41 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by ilikebikes
YES! You said yourself the crabon industry is gathering them up! forcing us to buy their wares! Apparently they're feeding them to the crabs! They're scavengers! Come on man! Wake up to the reality! You tell everybody. Listen to me, auchencrow. You've gotta tell them! Crabs are C and V bikes! We've gotta stop them somehow!
Yup. Modern life is like a B-movie.
Old 01-26-13, 10:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7396 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,494 Posts
Folks have raised lots of good points here.

I haven't noticed the trend, probably because I'm not paying attention.

Aaron is right. More people are traveling by bike. I don't know what exactly led to that trend, but it's true, which raises the value of used bikes and, according to the rule of supply and demand, also reduces the supply. Not necessarily in that order.

Information about used bikes has gotten plentiful and cheap, thanks to the internet, as fender1 points out. craigslist, ebay, bikeforums are the big players in spreading that information freely, but I'm sure a thousand other online media, with fewer subscribers each, also contribute to this increase in supply and decrease in value of information about used bikes.

Randy points out that there's a constant flow of bikes being tossed, but I think his extrapolation is flawed. Thunder Bay must either be short on space or a very well connected city. It seems that everyone knows that there's only one good place to toss your bikes, the dump. Here in the expansive suburbs, people have tons of space in their garages and basements, so bikes collect dust and hide from the population for years or decades. New Jersey and much of the rest of the east coast of the US has millions of contiguous square miles of suburbs, one butted against the next. You can travel for over a thousand miles through neither farms nor cities and stick to only suburbs. That's a heck of a lot of private garages and basements. People don't have a bike dump to the same degree that folks in Thunder Bay do. Most people haven't heard of bike coops.

oddjob2's summary is comprehensive and accurate! There are many reasons cited, all true, and they combine to shift the market.

But none of this will keep us off our bikes. (I'm assuming people here actually ride, though it seems that some of us mostly wrench or collect bikes.) And none of this will keep us from buying and trading bikes if we want to keep it up. We might pay more for old bikes, but we'll also be able to sell them, also at higher prices. There will always be people who under value things (whom we buy from) and there will always be people who overvalue them (whom we sell to). Whether it's worth the time and effort is another question. It's not for me, and I'm not sure it ever was, but I did it. No more for me. I have too many bikes and now have to sell them at a loss.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-26-13, 10:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7396 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
But my contribution to the thread is that the emails I get from my Ebay watch list have tailed off dramatically in the past couple months. Shocking, really.
That's because you haven't changed your saved searches. Start looking for the next thing that is both undervalued (by sellers) and overvalued (by buyers). The more you cruise the listings, the more you discover these things. I'm getting more alerts from ebay than before, and it's not because I'm buying or selling. I haven't bought or sold anything in a while.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-26-13, 10:48 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 1,509 Times in 1,030 Posts
Somewhat like randyjawa's response in #35 above: Here in California there are some pretty strict trash recycling laws that require stuff be diverted from landfills for recycling. In the suburbs/urban areas you usually ahve to go through a local trash compnay to get rid of your 'junk', either curbside pick-up or drop-off at the local trash collection yard. I occasionally drop off a big load at the local trash yard (yard re-landscape project, rebuild a fence, etc), and the staff there sorts what is dropped off. There's usually a BIG pile of scrap metal items with A LOT if bikes mixed into it. I've asked about picking out a few (seen names like Miyata, Raleigh, better Schwinns, etc in the pile), but there's a strict 'no trash-picking' rule. Sad to see all those great bicycles disappearing, but at least they're getting recycled (maybe into new Surlys, Redlines, etc?).

FWIW: I still find a few diamonds, but it depends on your local market. Best bet here in So Calif are older rigid MTBs; there are a regular stream of pretty nice, higher-end ones in great shape from the early 1990s that show up on Craigslist for $100-$150. Decent road bikes seem to disappear as fast as they get posted on CL.

Last edited by skidder; 01-26-13 at 10:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.