Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is worth buying at a LBS versus buying online?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 11:54 AM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was on vacation last week in Italy and stopped by a bike shop near my hotel called Florence by Bikes; I saw it referenced on here from an old thread and checked it out. There were some beautiful bikes there. I wanted to buy an italian jersey and loved the Chianti Classico jerseys they had, but they were like 80-100 bucks. I went online later that evening and saw similar (can't say if they were exact) for a fraction of the price. I ended up buying a long sleeve jersey that was on clearance.

What do you guys buy in-store compared to buying online? Besides getting customer service and giving local bike shops business, when do you think it's good to buy in person?
Old 09-03-13, 12:01 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Some Consumable Items...

Tubes
Cheap tires for flips
Ball bearings

...um, I'm running out of things.
Old 09-03-13, 12:09 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The answer to your question is going to vary tremendously. For me, I get almost everything online because it's cheaper. But then I can and do build my own wheels, so bicycle maintenance is easy for me.

Someone not comfortable doing his own maintenance is going to get a lot more from the LBS.
Old 09-03-13, 12:09 PM
itrsteve

Bikes: 2014 S-Works Tarmac/2013 Venge

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubes, gels and cheap nick knacks... everything else I'll support the LBS unless it's something they don't stock (i.e. Zipp stuff)
Old 09-03-13, 12:10 PM
danmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm actually quite selfish; I'll buy some stuff from the LBS that I could possibly find cheaper online because I'm hoping that perhaps sometime in the future when I need something fixed ASAP so I can ride later that day or the next and not wait a week for a repair they might show me some preference. That may be a misguided hope, though.
Old 09-03-13, 12:18 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13786 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,543 Posts
Generally, anything I want to touch and try, before I buy.

Always gloves and shoes, because of fit. Most maintenance items, like tubes, cables, etc.. Tools, because there's not usually much price difference after shipping.
Old 09-03-13, 12:19 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Anything that needs a proper fit test is local shop purchased. Consumables are generally cheaper online, I'll sometimes buy some anyway, if the bike shop has helped me out with something.

The local shop needs to make money to survive. If they are providing good service, they deserve to be compensated. If an item is half the price online I may purchase online, but I'll usually buy consumables as compensation.
Old 09-03-13, 12:25 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
I support any bike shop that provide me with the product I want at the lowest possible price. Sometimes the bike is not local for me but it is local for someone somewhere else. It could be in the UK or somewhere else in the US.

oh and...:

Old 09-03-13, 12:32 PM
danmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We need to combine these train-wreck, beating-a-dead-horse threads, so, the question is do you buy your dry/wet/wax lube at the LBS or online and do you wave at the clerk when you do/don't?
Old 09-03-13, 04:55 PM
RomeoTango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy at the LBS either what I need/want immediately, or if the price is close. In my limited experience LBS price is only comparable at steep sale or closeouts. A few weeks ago I needed a chain immediately. An Ultegra chain was $60 at all the LBSs in my area. Bought it because I needed it bad. Ended up buying a spare online for $28 (sale). Did the same with some Gatorskins a couple years ago. Once again in a bind, so I purchased from my LBS. Then, I went online and bought another for sparing at less than half of the LBS price. Conversely, I just bought some Lizardskin bar tape online and my LBS actually had for about $2 more (I didn't check this time).

Some folks, though, cannot work on their bike or don't want to. LBS comes in real handy and they seem to accept the pricing. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 09-03-13, 05:12 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you want your LBS to treat you like a real friend, or JAG from off the street?

Most LBS are willing to help out their customers, but if you buy all your stuff at an online shop, are your really their customer?
Old 09-03-13, 05:32 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like you saved a few bucks and lost a great memory. Purchasing an Italian jersey from a real Italian bike shop. Cheap at twice the price IMO.
Old 09-03-13, 05:37 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Quoted: 22734 Post(s)
Liked 9,101 Times in 4,231 Posts
Originally Posted by danmc
We need to combine these train-wreck, beating-a-dead-horse threads, so, the question is do you buy your dry/wet/wax lube at the LBS or online and do you wave at the clerk when you do/don't?
But when you buy at the LBS, should you buy campy, shimano, or SRAM??
Old 09-03-13, 05:38 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Quoted: 22734 Post(s)
Liked 9,101 Times in 4,231 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
Looks like you saved a few bucks and lost a great memory. Purchasing an Italian jersey from a real Italian bike shop. Cheap at twice the price IMO.
I wonder if the "Italian" jersey was made in China...
Old 09-03-13, 06:12 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
i wonder if the "italian" jersey was made in china...

lmao! !
Old 09-03-13, 07:35 PM
jjjj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to support my LBS even when the prices are higher. That being said selection and research leads me to buy online. When I find a product online that I am going to buy (ie...my mind is made up), I will check the LBS if they have it. If it is in the ball park on price I buy it there. If I find a product at the LBS, or have to to see or try a product at the LBS they get my business regardless of price.

In short I do my best to support the LBS.
Old 09-03-13, 07:46 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Generally, anything I want to touch and try, before I buy.

Always gloves and shoes, because of fit. Most maintenance items, like tubes, cables, etc.. Tools, because there's not usually much price difference after shipping.
Maybe because I'm a novice, but I've bought pretty much everything related to my bike at the LBS or other retail stores - gloves, fenders, rear rack, lights, etc. Now that I know a bit more about bikes and bike maintenance, I feel more comfortable buying online.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 09-03-13, 08:03 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
My LBS doesn't have a lot in the way of clothing, so I buy that on line. I don't do my own work, so chains, cassettes and the like I buy from the LBS as they'll be installing it. (Although I have a vintage bike, so they were understanding when I brought in vintage brake levers for them to install). I've had them order items I could have ordered cheaper on line just to help maintain the relationship as they've always treated me very well.
Old 09-03-13, 08:45 PM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so let me get this straight. you can afford a vacation to italy from nyc (not cheap in its own right) and you are shocked at that sticker price?
i'm at a loss for words here.
Old 09-04-13, 08:02 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13786 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,543 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Maybe because I'm a novice, but I've bought pretty much everything related to my bike at the LBS or other retail stores - gloves, fenders, rear rack, lights, etc. Now that I know a bit more about bikes and bike maintenance, I feel more comfortable buying online.
I sourced bout 80% of the parts for my last bike project online.
Old 09-04-13, 08:17 AM
anthonybkny

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
chain lube, cables, helmets, saddles, tubes, grips
Old 09-04-13, 08:29 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH
so let me get this straight. you can afford a vacation to italy from nyc (not cheap in its own right) and you are shocked at that sticker price?
i'm at a loss for words here.
What makes you think he can afford any of it?
Old 09-04-13, 10:21 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I can install it myself, I buy it online. I really like my LBS and he has told me more than once to bring in my best price. For him there is no expense to add to his order he is already placing, and as long as he doesn't lose money, he will just throw it on at cost plus a few bucks. I did a package deal with him a year ago for a full 6700 group, mostly at cost. The one thing I couldn't install he charged his install fee and I took it gladly (didn't have the tool).
Old 09-04-13, 10:49 AM
Avispa

Bikes: Ax Lighntess Vial EVO D (+ Paduano Fidia)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time this becomes relevant is when it runs into troubles.
Many dealers or online sellers claim to be willing to help, that they have warranty and such and they might do and they might not.
Dealers that are more local or closer are easier to get help from.

This is same no matter what i have been buying, all from huge amount stereo related gear to motorcycle gear and bikes.

Ofcourse online is cheaper. But you never know for sure until the day appears, something need to be replaced or fixed.

I have a nice example of a low cost product. Giro factor shoes, bought 2012.12.27 and used from end of April until Juli. Shoes toe box has collapsed and the thing is like a nail straight into the toes now. Giro seller in US refuse to help out, Giro in EU hand me an email to Norway and they refuse to help out.
Shoes was 295 usd + shipping + customer fee (tax and tariff). The end price is well beyond what it cost in US. These shoes are not avaible where i live.
I have no support now as they don't care for me more than a fart in the wind.
They don't give a ****. Now had i been buying these overhere, i had been going to dealers and he would have called the importer. If not, there is help for that.

Typical bad internet purchase. It is not the first and not the last. I know several people buying things from Ebay seller, having no authorized dealer receipts and ridiculous failours, but no help. Does this end my quest for saving or possible having a chance to buy instead of not. No it does not. I swear and get mad every time but i never learn.

Face it as it is. You might have all help or no issues to be ever. Or you end up with a broken toy in the trash can.

Last edited by Avispa; 09-04-13 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 11:04 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Gramercy
I was on vacation last week in Italy and stopped by a bike shop near my hotel called Florence by Bikes; I saw it referenced on here from an old thread and checked it out. There were some beautiful bikes there. I wanted to buy an italian jersey and loved the Chianti Classico jerseys they had, but they were like 80-100 bucks. I went online later that evening and saw similar (can't say if they were exact) for a fraction of the price. I ended up buying a long sleeve jersey that was on clearance.

What do you guys buy in-store compared to buying online? Besides getting customer service and giving local bike shops business, when do you think it's good to buy in person?
When we were in Italy a few years ago, I rented a bike from the LBS and had an amazing time riding the Tuscan and Umbrian hills and valleys. When I returned the bike, I bought not just a jersey but the entire shop team kit. Now when I put it on for a ride I have the most amazing memories of chatting with local cyclists in my Lonely Planet Italian, the taste of the espresso and pastries at the little roadside caffe, the feel of the cobbles under the tires as I rode back into town.

But you saved yourself 50 Euros or so. So, that's something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.