Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 11:27 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
(lots of people ask me about oval rings; i always tell people to try the and see what they think. there is no free power, but some people like the way they feel.)
not saying you're wrong, but I recently moved to osymetric rings on my tt bike and had this happen: https://www.strava.com/segments/3221...w1ODY2MzE4MTY5

that's the comparison of my 2 best efforts. one from Jan 13th and Feb 4th, 3 weeks apart. Latter was on the osymetrics. weather was the same/very similar for both efforts, same equipment/position both times too. Only change was 3 weeks and the rings.

tl:dr I'm kind of a believer now.
Old 02-12-15, 01:35 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
weather was not similar. On the day you went faster, the wind was blowing at ~12 mph as opposed to 5 mph on the day you went slower, though wind direction was the same. On the headwind section, you actually went 1mph slower despite pushing out 25 more watts. More telling is that whereas on the low wind day you were able to coast down the hill at the beginning, you weren't able to do so on the windier day.

hardly conclusive

Weather History for Palo Alto, CA | Weather Underground
Old 02-12-15, 01:45 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
busted

my race videos
Old 02-12-15, 01:59 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
weather was not similar. On the day you went faster, the wind was blowing at ~12 mph as opposed to 5 mph on the day you went slower, though wind direction was the same. On the headwind section, you actually went 1mph slower despite pushing out 25 more watts. More telling is that whereas on the low wind day you were able to coast down the hill at the beginning, you weren't able to do so on the windier day.

hardly conclusive

Maybe the weather is more different than I remember, but those links are for the wrong town and also list wind speeds of 4mph/gusts 9 and 6mph/gusts 12 from roughly the same direction.

*oic hourly wind. still the wrong town!

e.g. can't find an almanac value for portola valley, but for today portola valley is 1mph/still wind and palo alto airport is 5mph. it's on the water vs. in a valley inland.

Last edited by Ygduf; 02-12-15 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-12-15, 02:06 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 2,520 Times in 1,480 Posts
I am getting a new power meter with oval rings as soon as the Germans decide to make it for me.
Old 02-12-15, 02:09 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
fudgy is the Brian Williams of weather.
Old 02-12-15, 02:10 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
fudgy is the Brian Williams of weather.
to the best of my recollections
Old 02-12-15, 02:11 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
It also scares me that echappist does this much research, hopefully it is just limited to Cat 1s.
Old 02-12-15, 02:16 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It also scares me that echappist does this much research, hopefully it is just limited to Cat 1s.
then I should be excluded!

I don't know why he looked into it to that depth, but obv I wouldn't have bought the rings if I didn't believe they could help reduce a weakness for me. I'm biased to believe in them, but I'd be interested to hear opinions on how they could not help. I view it like crank-length/ better mechanical advantage? It's not "free power" as I can generate more power still on the other bike, but they do seem to reduce the hurt in the pinch at the top of the pedal stroke.
Old 02-12-15, 02:21 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
my unscientific old man view is that if there was anything to it biopace would have stuck around
Old 02-12-15, 02:31 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
when one doesn't have that much power, one needs to pay attention to the smaller details such as winds, etc.

my contention is merely that one couldn't know more power was generated based solely on comparison of rides from different days. And even more power was generated, it would be hard to attribute the gains to the rings, per se, vs getting stronger due to 3 more weeks of training.

I think someone should do a study where an external, downstream PM is used in conjunction with the the oval rings to determine if there's indeed any difference
Old 02-13-15, 06:26 PM
Wesley36

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Le sigh. My PT G3 has been giving offset readings quite consistently around 440 - it has come to my attention that it should be in the range of 512, and this indicates a problem. It appears like I will be taken care of in terms of warranty, and it is better that it happens now rather than later in the season, but still, vexing.

Altho, it would be a bit of a boost if it turns out that my power has been reading low for the past few months, I suppose.
Old 02-13-15, 06:28 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
if the offset is consistent...
Old 02-13-15, 06:37 PM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know, right? The PT rep that I talked to definitely thought it was a problem tho.
Old 02-13-15, 06:52 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
440 to 512 doesn't seem like much of a stretch either. do you have issues with the numbers not matching PE or trending inexplicably up/down?

I mean, I dunno, I just hate shipping stuff so much.
Old 02-13-15, 07:11 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
Le sigh. My PT G3 has been giving offset readings quite consistently around 440 - it has come to my attention that it should be in the range of 512, and this indicates a problem. It appears like I will be taken care of in terms of warranty, and it is better that it happens now rather than later in the season, but still, vexing.

Altho, it would be a bit of a boost if it turns out that my power has been reading low for the past few months, I suppose.
Do you read zero watts when you are coasting for short periods? I had offset issues with my PT that I found when I was having my best ever 20' test in the whole wide world then glanced down afterwards and saw that it was reading ~30W when I was coasting... I'm still not quite over the heartbreak. I don't recall what the offset was reading when it was off but I recall it being consistent, just not in the correct range.

You will doubt every power reading that doesn't align with your PE until you send it back for a check up, so you might as well do it right away.
Old 02-13-15, 07:15 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36

Go ahead and get it taken care of now, so that it's fixed when the weather fairs up.

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-13-15, 07:40 PM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
Do you read zero watts when you are coasting for short periods? I had offset issues with my PT that I found when I was having my best ever 20' test in the whole wide world then glanced down afterwards and saw that it was reading ~30W when I was coasting... I'm still not quite over the heartbreak. I don't recall what the offset was reading when it was off but I recall it being consistent, just not in the correct range.

You will doubt every power reading that doesn't align with your PE until you send it back for a check up, so you might as well do it right away.
Riding the rollers until the snow clears up, so no coasting for me.
Old 02-15-15, 12:56 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Question, I have yo do a 5 min max test. What % ftp shpuld i target? Keep forgetting to Google off the nbike, it's beyond me to do it well on the trainer.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-15-15, 01:16 PM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
120% - VO2Max - roughly 5 - 8 min, the range is ~110-120% of FTP, if memory serves
Old 02-15-15, 02:12 PM
carpediemracing 

Thanks. Just downloading stuff now, 241w@5m and I was mentally fried. I thought for sure I could do 280w but had to keep soft pedaling.

Based on 220w I should target 265w on the high level. Will be doing an FTP test in a couple weeks and in every other 20 min test I've skipped the 5 min pre-effort effort because too hard but now I need to do it.

I have no idea how I'm going to do the 20 min after doing the 5 min.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-15-15, 03:56 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^who are you and what have you done with aki?
Old 02-15-15, 06:09 PM
carpediemracing 

^ ha

My 220w FTP number was based on not doing the 5 min pre-test effort. Should be interesting to see what happens with my FTP number.
Old 02-15-15, 07:01 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Is the 5 minute effort before the 20 minute test absolutely necessary? My 20 minute testing spot is a 40-45 minute ride from my front door so I just use that as a good warmup, with maybe a couple of efforts..pretty sure iv'e only done the 5 minute effort one time and that my first test.
Old 02-15-15, 07:44 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Wylde06
Is the 5 minute effort before the 20 minute test absolutely necessary? My 20 minute testing spot is a 40-45 minute ride from my front door so I just use that as a good warmup, with maybe a couple of efforts..pretty sure iv'e only done the 5 minute effort one time and that my first test.
I don't know but I agreed to participate in a study and part of the protocol is doing the 5 min before the 20. My understanding is that the 5 min gets some non-aerobic stuff used up (stores in the muscles? not sure) and makes the 20 min more honest. Without the 5 min pre-effort the rider can cheat a bit and delay the fatigue for a bit in the 20 min. I think that's true since without the 5 min I can go a few minutes in before really feeling like it's hard. When I've done some efforts prior to the 20 min I've always given up before completing the 20 min. The FTP tests I've completed have all come after a 20-30 min easy peasy warm up and straight into the 20 min effort. Most/all of my FTP test rides end after the FTP test, I don't feel like riding beyond the test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.