Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 11:52 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 649 Posts
Yes, do it just to see those shiny little men go round and round on the crank!
Old 01-02-17, 04:10 PM
9volt 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Nearly done with the 68 Sports. I made an attempt at fender dent repair and seems to have worked out ok.

Dents:

Dents more or less removed:

Paint cleaned:

Does this look like the correct rear reflector for this bike? It's obnoxiously big.

Last edited by 9volt; 01-02-17 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added a fender pic
Old 01-02-17, 04:18 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 123 Posts
No. The correct reflector has a sconce between the lens and the fender and is smaller diameter.
Old 01-02-17, 04:35 PM
9volt 

Originally Posted by Salubrious
No. The correct reflector has a sconce between the lens and the fender and is smaller diameter.
Would the sconce be white or black in 68?
Old 01-02-17, 04:41 PM
9volt 

I have this black SA reflector that likely came from a Raleigh 3 speed. Not sure if I have a white one.

Old 01-02-17, 04:52 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by 9volt
Could be either, as far as anybody can tell for sure. Manufacturing and advertising/sales never seemed to be fully in sync and there have been numerous examples of bicycles with features that didn't seem to fit squarely within the specs of any particular year. Things like later model bikes with chain guard bosses and bikes with black reflector housings when white seemed to be the standard. Of course, there is also the problem that how a bike appears in this brave new century of ours may not be how it left Nottingham.

On the Yellow Jersey site there is an ad for a repro reflector in black that looks pretty good. I get the impression that some things on their site may not actually be available. I've never bought from them, I think others have with good results.
Old 01-02-17, 05:16 PM
9volt 

Thanks for the info. I wanted to make some effort to get it correct it if the parts were here.

Here's how it looks now with everything hung. Still need to dial it in but it's doing proper bicycle stuff again. I'll post some better pictures when it's light out.

Old 01-02-17, 07:14 PM
desconhecido 

Looks pretty good to me, reflector looks appropriate. Kind of wonder about the saddle, is it going to make it? Got a 64 a couple weeks ago with a saddle that looks about like that. Probably try to revive it -- nothing to lose.
Old 01-02-17, 08:00 PM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
Looks pretty good to me, reflector looks appropriate. Kind of wonder about the saddle, is it going to make it? Got a 64 a couple weeks ago with a saddle that looks about like that. Probably try to revive it -- nothing to lose.
Unless the leather is brittle and tearing at the rivets, there's usually plenty of adjustment left on the saddle frame tension screw to level it out some
. I'd go slowly though.
Old 01-03-17, 11:04 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 123 Posts
Could be either- just depends on what was on hand at the time.

Originally Posted by BigChief
Unless the leather is brittle and tearing at the rivets, there's usually plenty of adjustment left on the saddle frame tension screw to level it out some
. I'd go slowly though.
-And use plenty of Proofhide and mink oil on both the top and bottom of the leather!
Old 01-03-17, 02:16 PM
9volt 

The saddle on the 68 right now is pretty beat. It had seat guts that fit the post so I tossed it on there. There are a couple other decent B72s here that I'd put on it to ride any further than around the block.
Old 01-03-17, 03:19 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
That saddle appears to well accustomed to the previous owner's bottom. I am not sure that any amount of Proofhide and tensionning can bring it back. I think that a new(er) 68 would be right.

If your new saddle is black, I have a pair of black grips that I would trade for your brown ones.
Old 01-04-17, 03:10 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 2,061 Times in 1,258 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wanted to make some effort to get it correct it if the parts were here.

Here's how it looks now with everything hung. Still need to dial it in but it's doing proper bicycle stuff again. I'll post some better pictures when it's light out.

Man you work fast, nice job.

I told the man I didn't want the Humber so he said $40 and I caved. It's actually a 52. It's completely clapped out but the frame is solid and true. I think I'll do something unusual with it...townie type thing, parts bin special.
Again
Old 01-04-17, 03:40 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 649 Posts
Keep the chainring ! Nice project.
Old 01-04-17, 04:01 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I told the man I didn't want the Humber so he said $40 and I caved. It's actually a 52. It's completely clapped out but the frame is solid and true. I think I'll do something unusual with it...townie type thing, parts bin special.

You must be easy. Actually I think you have a great project. I would like to see a clean chainring of creepy little men who share one head spinning around.
Old 01-04-17, 04:45 PM
9volt 

Originally Posted by dweenk
If your new saddle is black, I have a pair of black grips that I would trade for your brown ones.
The new saddle is brown like the one in the picture. I'm switching stuff around all the time and will let you know if the brown set becomes available.

I'm thinking about doing the Robin Hood next if I can locate an enclosed chain guard. I'm not familiar with this style of guard. Anyone have pics of chain guards that would look appropriate on this bike? What should I expect to pay for one in rough but usable shape?

Old 01-04-17, 05:37 PM
BigChief

The new saddle is brown like the one in the picture. I'm switching stuff around all the time and will let you know if the brown set becomes available.

I'm thinking about doing the Robin Hood next if I can locate an enclosed chain guard. I'm not familiar with this style of guard. Anyone have pics of chain guards that would look appropriate on this bike? What should I expect to pay for one in rough but usable shape?

Even though the Sports frames all had the enclosed chain guard lug on the chain stay until the late 50s, hardly any of the bikes imported to the states had enclosed guards. More than likely, this bike had the usual 2 point hockey stick guard. I did see some new enclosed guards for sale. These were either Flying Pigeon or Eastman, but they are all for the 28" roadsters. I doubt they would fit a Sports, but I don't know for sure.
Old 01-04-17, 05:40 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

You're asking for problems trying to mount an enclosed chainguard just because they're fussy at the best of times. You'll have to get a Raleigh because they made the frame. Otherwise I'd sell you a Hercules . Check UK ebay...

Originally Posted by dweenk
You must be easy. Actually I think you have a great project. I would like to see a clean chainring of creepy little men who share one head spinning around.
Easy? Sadly yes. Unless you talk to my wife that is...

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Keep the chainring ! Nice project.
Unfortunately, if I want to ride it, I have to swap out the chainring for something in the 150 mm range. Just the unhappy consequence of knee replacement done poorly. Of course I'll clean and keep the ring for a return to original spec.
Old 01-04-17, 05:53 PM
desconhecido 

Even though the Sports frames all had the enclosed chain guard lug on the chain stay until the late 50s, hardly any of the bikes imported to the states had enclosed guards. More than likely, this bike had the usual 2 point hockey stick guard. I did see some new enclosed guards for sale. These were either Flying Pigeon or Eastman, but they are all for the 28" roadsters. I doubt they would fit a Sports, but I don't know for sure.
A quick look at images on the web, and I can't find any Robin Hoods with anything but the "hockey stick" guards. Or guardless, of course. Surely they would not go to the expense of the stylized chain ring just to hide it, would they? All the Raleighs, I think, with the enclosed guards had plain rings.

So, any early Raleigh HS guard should do -- until they introduced the heel grabber.

Hey, looky:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...available.html

I love this place. If only searching were easier. Too bad everybody's such a big meanie.
Old 01-04-17, 06:43 PM
9volt 

Would the chain guard normally attach to this spot behind the BB?

Old 01-04-17, 06:57 PM
BigChief

That lug is for an enclosed guard. What you need is a 2 point hockey stick like this.
Raleigh chain guard | eBay
Later versions attached at 3 points. Those will only work on the newer Raleighs with brazed on tabs. Make sure you get the older style 2 point.

Last edited by BigChief; 01-04-17 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-04-17, 07:14 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

I have a 2 point white one you can have for postage from Canada...probably $10. It's for rebranded Raleighs and has Made in England in the typical script although the paint is dull and faded. Might be a very good match. The metal is dent free and I have hardware. PM if you want pics.
Old 01-04-17, 07:37 PM
9volt 

Originally Posted by clubman
I have a 2 point white one you can have for postage from Canada...probably $10. It's for rebranded Raleighs and has Made in England in the typical script although the paint is dull and faded. Might be a very good match. The metal is dent free and I have hardware. PM if you want pics.
Sounds perfect. PM sent.

That lug is for an enclosed guard. What you need is a 2 point hockey stick like this.
Ok thanks for the info. I had only run into 3 point chain guards so far and didn't realize the 2 point chain guard was a thing.

Last edited by 9volt; 01-04-17 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 06:28 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Raleigh chain guard | eBay
Later versions attached at 3 points. Those will only work on the newer Raleighs with brazed on tabs. Make sure you get the older style 2 point.
I agree that the enclosed guards are a royal pain. Even if you can install it cleanly without the chain/chain ring rubbing somewhere, changing a tire becomes a major chore.
Old 01-05-17, 06:50 AM
BigChief

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the enclosed guard lug is present on the chain stay. But just like DL-1s, all Sports frames had that lug whether it originally had an enclosed guard or not until Raleigh stopped adding them in the late 50s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.