Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Temptation

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 12:23 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Every Friday is good, doesn't everyone think so?
Absolutely, especially one followed by a 3-day weekend.
Old 04-14-17, 12:23 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Damn straight it is, and it's so tempting to cut out early and go for a bike ride ...
Old 04-14-17, 12:27 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Go for it! It's FRIDAYYY!!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-15-17, 10:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Temptation
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. - Oscar Wilde

Go get that bike that you have been longing for, or take that trip that youhave always wanted to take; undertake the adventure of your life before time runs out
Originally Posted by wphamilton
By temptation do we mean it in the colloquial sense as a choice which is not particularly harmful? Or in the literal sense ofan urge to a wrongful action?

If the latter, I strongly agree with @TimothyH that Oscar Wilde's quote, while clever, was superficial and wrong-headed. Character is strengthened when exercised, and the sad reality is that those who succumb become weaker withevery failure.

If we're talking about the former however, I am reminded of Robert Herrick "To the Virgins" - gather your rosebuds while you may. Don't waste time, grab life with both hands and wring every dropout of it.
Originally Posted by Biker395
…With regard to the stuff EB was referring to, he is absolutely right. If something is important to you (whether it be a possession, having an experience, getting a credential ...whatever), GO OR IT while you can
I’d like to suggest an alternative viewpoint to desirable living by surrendering, or chasing temptation, which I think in this thread is meant as a significant goal, e.g. a new bike, visiting Paris, etc.

On a few Forums, I have posted my most existential reason to cycle:
Originally Posted by Jimfrom Boston
Several years ago, I had lunch with a couple of MD's andthe discussion turned to the vissicitudes of life, such as sudden death, andtrivial symptoms that are a harbinger of a serious disease. The conclusion ofour conversation was that old chestnut to live life everyday to the fullest.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner said, "Well, any daywith a run in it is a good day for me." I was already a serious cyclist for many years, but it suddenly clicked for me; any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.

Ever since then, I make a definite effort to ride my bike every day and I'm lucky to have a nice year-round cycle commute.….
IMO, while having a significant goal (Temptation) can be a good thing,
for me, it’s more important to focus on life as it happens. Working towards satisfying a Temptation certainly can be a worthwhile, although mundane activity in its own right.

As an example for me, when I go away on an often long-planned vacation, I don’t enjoy the hard effort I must put in to finish up work-related activities. Yet once we are en route, I often look back on that flurry as having been interesting in its own right. I really should learn to enjoy it more, but fortunately the vacation is as, or more enjoyable than I anticipate.

So I’m just sayin,’"to live in the moment." I once heard this enunciated as a virtual theological principle:
Originally Posted by Woody Allen
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.
PS: Lest I seem lackadaisical, I had definite goals (not quite “temptations”) in my professional / personal life,that I have attained, much to my satisfaction. Maybe temptations are better suited to the “under Fifty-Plus crowd,” and the Fifty-Plus should be more satisfied living in the moment.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-15-17 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 04-15-17, 05:05 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I love this thread!

I have been dreaming about a Porsche for as long as I can remember. I am at a stage in life where everything is paid for and I have been saving for my Porsche. But, I have mostly been a sensible Toyota kind of guy. I test drove two Porsches and two Audis (lo no story as to why) this week. I do not know if I will be able to get myself to take the leap. But, there are certified used Boxsters and Caymans for about $45,000 with really low miles that are perfect (and some Toyotas and Hndas are now mid 40's).

Oh, temptation!!!
Old 04-17-17, 09:01 AM
eja_ bottecchia

@Jim from Boston, I agree with most of what you wrote, except for one notable exception.

When I was younger, building a career and family life, it was very easy to resist temptation.

Now that I am older, with family and career "struggles" behind, I find that temptation is an easy, and often welcome companion. The closer that I get to the final lap, the less inclined I become to needlessly deny myself the things that my heart yearns for.
Old 04-17-17, 09:02 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I love this thread!

I have been dreaming about a Porsche for as long as I can remember. I am at a stage in life where everything is paid for and I have been saving for my Porsche. But, I have mostly been a sensible Toyota kind of guy. I test drove two Porsches and two Audis (lo no story as to why) this week. I do not know if I will be able to get myself to take the leap. But, there are certified used Boxsters and Caymans for about $45,000 with really low miles that are perfect (and some Toyotas and Hndas are now mid 40's).

Oh, temptation!!!
If not now, then when? Right?
Old 04-17-17, 09:27 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 595 Posts
I love this thread!

Oh, temptation!!!

This is exactly the kind of temptation EJ was talking about. If you can afford it, Go for It! What are you waiting for?

Old 04-17-17, 11:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Temptation…I’d like to suggest an alternative viewpoint to desirable living by surrendering,or chasing temptation, which I think in this thread is meant as a significant goal, e.g. a new bike, visiting Paris, etc

IMO, while having a significant goal (Temptation) can be a good thing, for me, it’s more important to focus on life as it happens. Working towards satisfying a Temptation certainly can be a worthwhile,although mundane activity in its own right.

So I’m just sayin,’"to live in the moment."… Lest I seem lackadaisical, I had definite goals (not quite “temptations”) in my professional / personal life,that I have attained, much to my satisfaction. Maybe temptations are better suited to the “under Fifty-Plus crowd,”and the Fifty-Plus should be more satisfied living in the moment.
Originally Posted by eja_bottecchia
@Jim from Boston, I agree with most of what you wrote, except for one notable exception.

When I was younger, building a career and family life, it was very easy to resist temptation.

Now that I am older, with family and career "struggles" behind, I find that temptation is an easy, and often welcome companion. The closer that I get to the final lap, the less inclined I become to needlessly deny myself the things that my heart yearns for.
I love this thread!

I have been dreaming about a Porsche for as long as I can remember. I am at a stage in life where everything is paid for and I have been saving for my Porsche. But, I have mostly been a sensible Toyota kind of guy. …

Oh, temptation!!
Hi @EB

Thanks for your reply. Not to be argumentative, but FYA, this contrapunctal thread appeared yesterday on Fifty-Plus, “N-2”:
Originally Posted by DougG
OK ,at 70+ I've been trying lately to simplify my life because it's getting harder these days for me to keep track of everything like I used to. After buying a new bike last September I was up to four bikes plus my wife's, and it's become difficult to find the time to maintain that many bikes at my accustomed level of quality.

Things are already getting simpler for me, as even deciding which bike to ride on a particular day is now pretty much a no-brainer! I'm looking forward to the new season with my smaller but more practical stable.
Originally Posted by Piratebike
I have just gotten to the place in life where I have all the toys a man could want. Now I am thinking about selling most of them.....life.
Originally Posted by bargeon
First rule of the end game: simplify.

But all the N+1 jokes asside, after a while stuff just weighs you down. And the more it costs the less you own it, the more it owns you.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-17-17 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added quote by Kindaslow
Old 04-17-17, 02:23 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,201 Times in 1,339 Posts
If you want a new bike get it. As far as dreams... reality rarely meets the expectation of our dreams. More so with lifelong dreams as they have been built up over the years to the point where it is impossible for the event to come close to the anticipation.

Much better, at least for me, to make rational considerations and then go for it. I've done both, and at times the former ended up as, well that was nice, but not everything I excepted.

John
Old 04-17-17, 02:30 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I love this thread!

Oh, temptation!!!
Tempting you....

Old 04-17-17, 03:20 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
@Kindaslow btw, the annual PCA Porsche Parade week this year is in Spokane in July....just a few hours drive from your neck of the woods.
Old 04-17-17, 03:52 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4449 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,899 Posts
Well, speaking personally, that depends entirely on whether I get to ride my bicycle that day.
Old 04-17-17, 06:14 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks everyone!

I am hoping to have enough saved up by next year to pay cash for a certified Boxster or Cayman. And, I believe I will do it!
Old 04-17-17, 09:13 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

I love this thread!

Oh, temptation!!!
If it's going to give you that thrilling feeling each time you ride or even each time you gaze at it in the garage, then it will be a bargain.

Personally, I'm not at all tempted by expensive cars. I want something reliable and basic, so I'm a Toyota-Honda kind of guy. Now expensive bicycles (and expensive vacations!), that's another matter.
Old 04-18-17, 05:19 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 781 Posts
As Mae West famously said, "I can resist anything but temptation."
Old 04-18-17, 06:12 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 494 Posts
My greatest "temptation" is to learn to have more self-discipline and to clearly distinguish the difference between what I need and what I want. However, in regards to being compelled by an outer directive, ie; something "tempting" me, I feel it important to respond primarily to rather inner formulations, which are more like awakenings or even revelations. The word "tempt" suggests some kind of psychological conflict. I like to be on the same page as my soul.
Old 04-18-17, 06:36 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 90 Posts
Temptation for me is to retire at the minimum retirement age, buy a classic steel bike, stop shaving, and ride round the city all day mumbling and randomly yelling out at no one in particular. Ive been a conformist all my life and I need a change.
Old 04-18-17, 07:27 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11038 Post(s)
Liked 4,778 Times in 2,178 Posts
I've had cancer twice and I tell people that I determined, "Here is your second chance. Life is precious. Don't waste it."

The second time, I tell people that I felt I had been hit with a hammer and thought, "You weren't listening. See if you can do it right this time."

Since then, my wife and I have traveled considerably and yes, we have given in to several temptations like a new high-end tandem and a fancy car for her to name a few.

My wife developed breast cancer this year (seems to have been handled) and the message has been driven home even more.

My Road ID is engraved, "Life is precious, don't waste it."

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 04-18-17 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-18-17, 07:34 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11038 Post(s)
Liked 4,778 Times in 2,178 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Temptation for me is to retire at the minimum retirement age, buy a classic steel bike, stop shaving, and ride round the city all day mumbling and randomly yelling out at no one in particular. Ive been a conformist all my life and I need a change.
Sounds good to me. I also was an uptight black&white type of guy. My life has a lot more color in it since I retired the second time at 58 (first time at 54).

Old 04-18-17, 07:42 AM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am no longer tempted by things in life. I just live it. My watch does not tell time, it only says "NOW".
Old 04-18-17, 01:02 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Piratebike
I am no longer tempted by things in life. I just live it. My watch does not tell time, it only says "NOW".
There are many advantages to this.

For one thing, your calculated speed on a bike is infinite.
Old 04-18-17, 02:08 PM
LAriverRat

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
An explanation might be helpful.

This weekend I turn 61. Except for a couple of health scares I am in generally good health, my mind is still sharp (some might argue the point) and physically I can do some things better than I did 20 years ago (others not so good, regrettably).

My parents both worked very hard to build a business and they were more successful than they expected, especially considering that they got a late start at it (we are immigrants).

My Mom always spoke about traveling to France and Spain, especially Paris.

My Mom passed away a few years ago, at age seventy-five, from complications resulting from diabetes. She never got to see Spain, or France or her beloved (at least in her heart) Paris. In the days before she passed on, when she knew the end was coming, she made me promise that I would take that trip that she was never able to take.

The take away from this, and the lesson to be learned, is that sometimes it is OK to yield to temptation and treat yourself to that one thing you heart yearns for.
My wife's parents were from Italy, they left in 1952 and had not returned. They always said next year they would go back and visit. Finally in 1999 I went and bought tickets for all of us (7) to go to Italy for a month because I knew they would never do it. Had to almost drag my father in law on to the plane. We had a wonderful time, they had a wonderful time. The next year I went to Scotland to play golf in the home of golf, I did not want to wait until I was to decrepit to play good golf (3 index). Glad I did.
Old 04-18-17, 09:08 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. - Oscar Wilde

A beautiful modern take on the Ancient Greek aphorism "know thyself"
Old 04-18-17, 09:30 PM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a heart attack at 48. I have seen death with my own eyes. We are not immortal. We all will go some day. Until then I live every day to its fullest. I don't miss a sun rise and I don't miss a sun set. I don't get tempted by anything. If I want it I get it, within means of course. After I had my heart attack I paid everything I owned off, I am now debt free to LIVE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.