Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 racing stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-18, 05:57 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Heh. I was the fastest at the line, but I was maybe 10th into the turn, slowed hard for the crashed rider, then sprinted distance to the line, whatever 14 revolutions of a 53x14 works out to be in distance. If I'd had a bit more room to move up on that downhill, if the guy didn't fall in front of me, or if the finish was 50 meters further it'd have been a bit different. It wasn't so it wasn't.
Is that guy in second riding a white disc wheel, or is that something funky with the image?
Old 04-07-18, 01:04 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Brumble RR

Literally snapped my rear DR off five minutes before to start. Rode a service bike with the seat about six inches too high. Thing is no one was out climbing me, and I kept talking myself into sticking it out. One guy got far off alone, but I was in yellow and defending nonetheless. Last twenty I figured I had a shot. Race ends with a five minute climb, a downhill, Then a 1k climb to the line. With 200 meters I rolled away and took the sprint for second.

Rolling the three miles back to the lot a couple of cat cat 4s from another race grabbed a handful of brake to pee and I slammed into them. Sheered the front spokes on the service bike. Slammed my face into the pavement and probably broke my thumb. Driving home to dump the dogs, get a DR hanger installed and then to my wife’s ER to see if I can start tomorrow.

Last edited by gsteinb; 04-07-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-07-18, 01:47 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Takes me a good 2-3 weeks to get back into a comfort level. I don't know how these guys go from Zwift all winter to cornering like Sagan in their first crit outdoors but I admire them for it.
Shamelessly stealing this quote from somewhere online. Zwift's business model is get everyone indoors all winter so they go out and crash on their first ride back, break a collarbone and are stuck on zwift all spring.
Old 04-07-18, 03:05 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
San Luis RR 4/5 45+

Started out on a descent and I went down too slow and was 20 seconds behind; I've never been a good descender but this was awful. I just haven't descended enough this past year to be comfortable. I was able to catch back on putting out some power. Same thing happened on the next two laps but I cracked on the last one and finished off the pack. It was pretty gutting and 100% bike handling that killed me. Expected to be competitive but seeing at 155 I was the fattest guy there it was a much stronger field than I anticipated.

@gsteinb great racing and I hope everything is in one piece
Old 04-07-18, 04:45 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@gsteinb nice results but that blows on the stupid crash. Hopefully the thumb is ok.
Old 04-07-18, 05:10 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Piru 40K ITT for me today, the only woman in my class.

I’ve made a couple of position changes in the last month, finally I at least look pretty aero. But: only a few rides so far in the current iteration, and no intervals longer than 20 min yet. My first 40K in 11 months, I mostly race 20Ks.

So... it pretty much sucked to see my power dwindle away during race and it was not fun.

However: I was only 1% off my best time for the course while being 8% off my best power, so I’m happy with the position change. My power fade was all about the legs filling up with lactate and feeling on the verge of cramping, with different-than-usual muscles squawking at me, that was interesting. No issues with resp compromise or HR and the upper body position felt comfortable, meaning I’m pretty sure it will be a rideable position for me given a little time to adapt.

Actually looking forward to rebuilding the power and endurance in the new position and seeing what comes of it.
Old 04-07-18, 05:55 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Brumble RR

Literally snapped my rear DR off five minutes before to start. Rode a service bike with the seat about six inches too high. Thing is no one was out climbing me, and I kept talking myself into sticking it out. One guy got far off alone, but I was in yellow and defending nonetheless. Last twenty I figured I had a shot. Race ends with a five minute climb, a downhill, Then a 1k climb to the line. With 200 meters I rolled away and took the sprint for second.

Rolling the three miles back to the lot a couple of cat cat 4s from another race grabbed a handful of brake to pee and I slammed into them. Sheered the front spokes on the service bike. Slammed my face into the pavement and probably broke my thumb. Driving home to dump the dogs, get a DR hanger installed and then to my wife’s ER to see if I can start tomorrow.
oh my good God.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-07-18, 05:56 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Shamelessly stealing this quote from somewhere online. Zwift's business model is get everyone indoors all winter so they go out and crash on their first ride back, break a collarbone and are stuck on zwift all spring.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-07-18, 05:58 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Is that guy in second riding a white disc wheel, or is that something funky with the image?
It's a wheel cover, thin mylar kind of thing. Spoked wheel underneath, bonded to a slightly aero shaped rim so the brake surface is uncovered. Marketed for a while (i.e. there's a brand name for these things) but I think these are homemade. Him and a teammate use them. I think by now that guy has 30 national titles - last I heard it was 28 and that was maybe 8 years ago. As a Cat 1 Senior he's won Somerville and he's not necessarily a sprinter.
Old 04-07-18, 06:24 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
oh my good God.

Need surgery. Dang. Hell of way to lose a leaders jersey.
Old 04-07-18, 06:57 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
That sucks @gsteinb. Heal quickly.
Old 04-07-18, 07:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,487 Posts
@gsteinb Heal up fast.
@Heathpack Solid effort.
Old 04-08-18, 07:03 AM
rubiksoval

Sunny King PRT (Pro/1): 13th.

All week it was supposed to rain, then it was only supposed to rain in the morning and be done by late afternoon. Then by Sat. morning the forecast had flipped and it was only supposed to rain in the evening. Dumb weather. Oh, and, it was 45 degrees.

The race was at 7:30. I drove the 3.5 hours down to Alabama and got there around 6:00. Got the numbers and the bike setup and and thought the rain was done so went out for a 10 minute warmup. Then it started to rain around 7:00, so went back and forth with wheel and tire choices. I'd just glued up my Hed Stinger 4s, but having never run these tires in the rain, decided to default back to my clinchers with GP4000s. Then decided to just run the rear Stinger with a Vittoria Corsa because I had a 11-28 cassette on there...silly things to preoccupy myself with 15 minutes before the start. Ended up going with two pairs of gloves, long sleeve base layer, goretex second layer, arm warmers, leg warmers, and oversocks. I was still freezing.

Anyway, this was my first race of the year; it was a pro crit, it was dark, and it was rainy. So three big "yikes" features for one race. I lined up second at the entrance gate to the course and managed to hold position on the race to the starting line, lining up in the second row (behind the call-ups). We took off and went pretty gingerly until everyone figured out how hard they could take the corners without ending up in a barrier.

Sometimes wet crits are a bit safer than dry ones as people don't get quite so kamikazee. This seemed to be the case today. I surfed around in the top 30-40, looking for chances to move up and trying to figure out which lines and corners were best for that. Went from mid pack into the top 5 a couple of times so was pretty confident with my lines. A Hincapie guy snuck off and lapped the field solo (!) and then I guess by the end two other pairs had gone off. Couldn't really tell what was going on off the front. It constantly looked like someone was there, and then it'd surge and be brought back, just over and over again.

With three to go I'd moved myself up into near top ten but then got caught out in a huge surge and lost 20 spots almost instantly. Tried fighting back in the waning few minutes and made up a bit of ground on the last lap with some digs before the final two corners. Ended up 8th in the field sprint for 13th overall. Best PRT result to date and got $270 bucks for it! Season goal is a top 10 in a PRT, so excited to be so close, but also bummed to have been so close! Not too many opportunities to do these races so have to really make it count.

So first race of the year done and the season's off to a good start. It was a bit tough dealing with the wet conditions and surges and bumps and darkness, but by the end I'd settled in okay. Still got bumped off my lines a lot, but that'll come back with a few more races. Didn't get in any situations with shoulders or hipbumps or headbumps being thrown, so that always makes for more a pleasant race.

On to the next one!
Old 04-08-18, 07:56 AM
rubiksoval

Bummer to hear. Heal up quickly.
Old 04-08-18, 09:58 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2813 Post(s)
Liked 3,414 Times in 1,788 Posts
What a bummer @gsteinb.

San Luis Rey RR cat 3: Bout halfway down.

I typically struggle here just trying to not get dropped before the fourth and final climb.

Which I did, on lap three, but not that bad. I was too far back and some gaps opened up but I didn't worry about it too much, knowing that the field typically slacks off towards the bottom of the descent, so me and two other guys paced back on. Midway through the last lap I wasn't done so I took a flyer to take some pressure off my teammates and set one of them up for the counter. Ended up spending about ~8 min out there just truckin' along, funny how you can go from OTB to OTF in one lap of a RR.

Anyway at the bottom fast stretches of the climb I helped pace one of our riders near the front, who ended up taking 5th. As soon as we hit the first steep ramp I dropped anchor and switched into the little ring and z2'd it in. Still good for somewhere roughly half down as guys were getting shelled every lap.
Old 04-08-18, 10:19 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Sunny King PRT (Pro/1): 13th. !
Nicely done!
Old 04-08-18, 04:11 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

thanks, folks.

I was in pretty good spirits yesterday thinking it'll be a good training block until I'm cleared to race. That was until the wrapped me up like a mummy. A bit worse today when I realized I can't really grip the bars wrapped like this. Rode an hour, but worsened a saddle sore I got on the pit bike because I couldn't shift my body around so good. Hopefully I'll see the surgeon tomorrow.
Old 04-08-18, 07:02 PM
carpediemracing 

thanks, folks.

I was in pretty good spirits yesterday thinking it'll be a good training block until I'm cleared to race. That was until the wrapped me up like a mummy. A bit worse today when I realized I can't really grip the bars wrapped like this. Rode an hour, but worsened a saddle sore I got on the pit bike because I couldn't shift my body around so good. Hopefully I'll see the surgeon tomorrow.
Mold cast to bar?
Old 04-08-18, 07:03 PM
carpediemracing 

That's very impressive. 8th in a P1 field sprint.
Old 04-08-18, 08:41 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
thanks, folks.

time for some R&R and appreciation that you broke a thumb and not your face? :/
Old 04-08-18, 10:23 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts

All week it was supposed to rain, then it was only supposed to rain in the morning and be done by late afternoon. Then by Sat. morning the forecast had flipped and it was only supposed to rain in the evening. Dumb weather. Oh, and, it was 45 degrees.

The race was at 7:30. I drove the 3.5 hours down to Alabama and got there around 6:00. Got the numbers and the bike setup and and thought the rain was done so went out for a 10 minute warmup. Then it started to rain around 7:00, so went back and forth with wheel and tire choices. I'd just glued up my Hed Stinger 4s, but having never run these tires in the rain, decided to default back to my clinchers with GP4000s. Then decided to just run the rear Stinger with a Vittoria Corsa because I had a 11-28 cassette on there...silly things to preoccupy myself with 15 minutes before the start. Ended up going with two pairs of gloves, long sleeve base layer, goretex second layer, arm warmers, leg warmers, and oversocks. I was still freezing.

Anyway, this was my first race of the year; it was a pro crit, it was dark, and it was rainy. So three big "yikes" features for one race. I lined up second at the entrance gate to the course and managed to hold position on the race to the starting line, lining up in the second row (behind the call-ups). We took off and went pretty gingerly until everyone figured out how hard they could take the corners without ending up in a barrier.

Sometimes wet crits are a bit safer than dry ones as people don't get quite so kamikazee. This seemed to be the case today. I surfed around in the top 30-40, looking for chances to move up and trying to figure out which lines and corners were best for that. Went from mid pack into the top 5 a couple of times so was pretty confident with my lines. A Hincapie guy snuck off and lapped the field solo (!) and then I guess by the end two other pairs had gone off. Couldn't really tell what was going on off the front. It constantly looked like someone was there, and then it'd surge and be brought back, just over and over again.

With three to go I'd moved myself up into near top ten but then got caught out in a huge surge and lost 20 spots almost instantly. Tried fighting back in the waning few minutes and made up a bit of ground on the last lap with some digs before the final two corners. Ended up 8th in the field sprint for 13th overall. Best PRT result to date and got $270 bucks for it! Season goal is a top 10 in a PRT, so excited to be so close, but also bummed to have been so close! Not too many opportunities to do these races so have to really make it count.

So first race of the year done and the season's off to a good start. It was a bit tough dealing with the wet conditions and surges and bumps and darkness, but by the end I'd settled in okay. Still got bumped off my lines a lot, but that'll come back with a few more races. Didn't get in any situations with shoulders or hipbumps or headbumps being thrown, so that always makes for more a pleasant race.

On to the next one!
rad
Old 04-09-18, 04:16 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Ygduf
time for some R&R and appreciation that you broke a thumb and not your face? :/
I'm really very appreciative and well aware of how much worse it could have been. This whole thing has just been incredibly up and down, like this old parable

Once there was a Chinese farmer who worked his poor farm together with his son and their horse. When the horse ran off one day, neighbors came to say, “How unfortunate for you!” The farmer replied, “Maybe yes, maybe no.”

When the horse returned, followed by a herd of wild horses, the neighbors gathered around and exclaimed, “What good luck for you!” The farmer stayed calm and replied, “Maybe yes, maybe no.”

While trying to tame one of wild horses, the farmer’s son fell, and broke his leg. He had to rest up and couldn’t help with the farm chores. “How sad for you,” the neighbors cried. “Maybe yes, maybe no,” said the farmer.

Shortly thereafter, a neighboring army threatened the farmer’s village. All the young men in the village were drafted to fight the invaders. Many died. But the farmer’s son had been left out of the fighting because of his broken leg. People said to the farmer, “What a good thing your son couldn’t fight!” “Maybe yes, maybe no,” was all the farmer said.
So I keep making peace with how things are, and then it gets a bit more complicated. If I even ended up losing the season, so be it.But really I prefer not to.
Old 04-09-18, 06:08 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sorry to hear about that G. heal up!

unrelated pro tip: if you bring pit wheels to the race go through the extra effort to literally put them in the pit so when you flat out of a race that's part of a series you're sitting 2nd in you still have a shot at a result.
Old 04-09-18, 08:19 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,487 Posts
@rubiksoval Booyah!
Old 04-09-18, 09:41 AM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
San Luis RR 4/5 45+

Started out on a descent and I went down too slow and was 20 seconds behind; I've never been a good descender but this was awful. I just haven't descended enough this past year to be comfortable. I was able to catch back on putting out some power. Same thing happened on the next two laps but I cracked on the last one and finished off the pack. It was pretty gutting and 100% bike handling that killed me. Expected to be competitive but seeing at 155 I was the fattest guy there it was a much stronger field than I anticipated.
Bananas! I'm at 181lbs on a good day so hilly RR's are on the no-go list for me.

Two guys I know did that race, Cat 5 buddy got 4th in his event. The Cat 4 was somewhere in the 30's and which surprised me because he is small/fit and kills it in the local crits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.