Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 7020 Hydro lever adjustment.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 10:39 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts

I recently got 7020 hydraulic brakes and shifters on my new road bike. They work fine with one set up that irritates me. There is no free stroke adjustment on the 105 shifters only ultegra and dura ace. There is a reach adjustment that I have all the way back so levers are farthest from drops. The brakes work but when I brake go almost back the bar before they fully engage. The brakes are not spongy feeling and stop the bike quite nicely. However, I am so used my Ultegra 6800 where the lever grips the brakes engaged quicker. I don't take it anywhere near the bars to stop.

I am a decent mechanic and did try and bleed the brakes to see if I could get a bit more bite in the lever. It really did not change and for good measure I tried it over a period of of days to see any difference. Nothing really changed. Then I thought about set the brakes on the bar in a different position trying higher up and a bit lower. That did not help but pushing them in so that slant a lot more inward did a bit.

This is something I can live with but work prefer not to. Has anyone else had this problem or issue in set up of 105 7020 hydros? I really would like the brake lever but fully engaged and I still can get my fingers easily between the bar and lever. Right now there is a gap for sure but I want more. I hope someone can respond. I have searched the web and in most cases they say that is the way these are set and work. A few response suggested they got better with bleeding but I am quite confident that very little air is in the line. Both the rear and front brake feel almost the same firmness nothing spongy as I said. I am not worried about he rear because the front is what counts. Help!
Old 05-14-23, 10:55 AM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
take the wheel out and then advance the pistons a bit, install the wheel and check,
Likes For headasunder:
Old 05-14-23, 12:10 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
That worked to a large extent. Now I get a bit of disk rub and they are true but not anything significant. I think I will ride it this way for awhile it probably will set the pad correct as the slight rub will wear. It does not significantly slow the wheel spinning so riding I think is fine. I still may try and flair the hoods in more that might also help.