Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

best helmet for a hot head/sweating fool?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

best helmet for a hot head/sweating fool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 11:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
POC. My Omne Air Spin has the best ventilation of my four helmets. Several friends here in Texas switched to various POC helmets (Ventral, Octal) for the same reason -- excellent ventilation. I got mine about 4-5 years ago when it first came out and at the time it seemed like only Lachlan Morton and I wore them. Since then I'm seeing more riders wearing the Omne Air Spin so it seems like a good 'un.

The Omne Air Spin is their most affordable roadie helmet, partly because it's made in China rather than Sweden. It's a bit heavy (thicker EPS crushable foam, heavy duty polycarbonate shell, maybe overbuilt for cycling) and runs a bit large, so if your noggin is borderline medium/large, go for the medium. Not sure about the other POCs, haven't tried them. I'm considering selling my large Omne Air Spin and getting the medium to save a few ounces as my neck arthritis from old injuries worsens. I'm not a weight weenie on my bike, but on my head, yeah, every gram matters.

My Bell Formula MIPS has a drip channel design that's clever. It diverts sweat so it drips off the front of the helmet. However, at any speed, the wind blows it back into my face anyway. And while MIPS works well and fits comfortably, the harness is busy and cluttered and interferes with ventilation, so it's not as cool as the POC in summer. But the Bell Formula MIPS and models above that are more meticulously crafted than my POC, Catlike and other helmets. Seriously, it's impressive how much attention to detail Bell puts into their very affordable helmets. The polycarbonate outer shell completely covers the softer EPS foam so when you set the helmet down on a rough surface it doesn't touch the soft EPS foam. The detachable, washable and replaceable inner strips are very well made and durable. The harness, chin straps, etc., all fit well and feel like premium quality compared with other similarly priced or more expensive lids -- including Giro, which is owned by the same company as Bell now. Giro helmets are very comparable overall but not identical or rebadged clones of Bell helmets.

A couple of friends like the Catlike helmets for summer wear. Very lightweight, possibly the lightest helmet I've tried, with lots of big circular scoops, very distinctive looking. Alas, I ordered mine in medium and it turned out to be much too small for my borderline medium/large noggin. So I sold it to a friend who likes it. If you order a Catlike it's probably a good idea to go a size up, or be sure the seller is willing to exchange or refund.

I usually wear a bandana under any helmet. Just plain cotton bandanas. I have dozens of 'em, so I grab a clean one for every ride and wash a bunch every couple of weeks. They work fine. I've tried microfiber, wicking fabric, etc., but they don't work any better for me than plain cotton bandanas. The longer I have 'em the softer they get too.
Old 08-07-23, 10:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I ride when it is in the low 40's and use a skull cap to keep my ears warm but even in the 40's it becomes drenched and just drips in my face. Maybe I need to try a different brand the one I have is a pearl izumi.
Are you using a wicking skull cap like this, or one that is intended to keep you warm?

PEARL iZUMi Transfer Lite Skull Cap | REI Co-op
Old 08-08-23, 02:41 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Most bike helmets for adults provide plenty of ventilation. I use the Bell Z20 MIPS and the Lazer Z1 helmet and both provide excellent ventilation. I owned the very first bike helmet that was made by Bell and it had very little ventilation and after a couple of rides I stopped using it to avoid heat stroke.

Best to wear lightweight sleeveless bike jerseys to maximize upper body cooling. But you may also have a medical condition.The purpose of sweat is to cool down the body. In hyperhidrosis, sweating occurs even when there is no need to cool the body.There are two types of hyperhidrosis: primary focal hyperhidrosis and secondary hyperhidrosis.Genetic factors may play a role in primary hyperhidrosis. About 33% of people with hyperhidrosis have a family member with the same condition.

In some instances, there is no apparent cause for secondary hyperhidrosis. However, secondary hyperhidrosis may occur due to:
  • infections
  • diabetes
  • overactive thyroid gland - hyperthyroidism
  • low blood sugar or hyperglycemia
  • obesity
  • gout
  • tumors
  • fluoxetine and other similar antidepressant medications
  • propranolol, pilocarpine, and bethanechol
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • drug or alcohol use, or withdrawal from drugs or alcohol
  • injury, such as head trauma
  • blood cell or bone marrow disorders, such as Hodgkin lymphoma
  • certain rare inherited conditions
  • irritation or diseases that impact the sympathetic nerves
My brother suffered from hyperthyroidism as a young teen and was always hot and had trouble sleeping as a result.
Old 08-08-23, 03:49 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,949 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Are you using a wicking skull cap like this, or one that is intended to keep you warm?

PEARL iZUMi Transfer Lite Skull Cap | REI Co-op
I have both and both sane results. The new helmet is fine did 80 mikes yesterday and wasn’t blinded by salt water🙂