Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pirelli P Zero Smartube - quick review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pirelli P Zero Smartube - quick review

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 03:46 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
bumping this up to see how you are still feeling about them? worth the money?
Old 08-21-23, 01:25 PM
Caliwild

Liked 753 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
bumping this up to see how you are still feeling about them? worth the money?
I was happy with them for a while... Then, I got a puncture, and then another one. Went back to regular tubes because I was too lazy to repair them and didn't want to fork out more money for new ones. Also, converted one of my other bikes to tubeless, which IMO is the best option nowadays...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 08-21-23, 02:21 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
I was happy with them for a while... Then, I got a puncture, and then another one. Went back to regular tubes because I was too lazy to repair them and didn't want to fork out more money for new ones. Also, converted one of my other bikes to tubeless, which IMO is the best option nowadays...
I was able to get 2 via biketiredirect for under $50 so I took the chance. I figure I have wasted $50 on beer in a single night
Old 08-22-23, 09:17 AM
Caliwild

Liked 753 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I was able to get 2 via biketiredirect for under $50 so I took the chance. I figure I have wasted $50 on beer in a single night
It's all relative I say! Let us know how you do with the tubes...
Old 08-22-23, 02:53 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Liked 3,066 Times in 1,657 Posts
I tried one because the shop didn't have any latex tubes in stock.

1. It is pretty light, and a lot of people carry them as a spare because they're so light (folks who don't like saddle bags for ex.)
2. It was hard to install - tuck it in here, and a piece comes out over there - could be frustrating on the side of the road.
3. Holds pressure far better than latex... maybe better than butyl.
4. Takes a set - I pinched it on the install, and when uninstalled it looks kinked even though it's fine.
5. It's not stretchy at all - probably need to match size to tire width more exactly than butyl or latex.
6. I conclude fine but too expensive. In fact, I think I'd still go with latex even if Pirelli were the price of butyl.

P-Zero
Old 08-22-23, 03:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,840 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
2. It was hard to install - tuck it in here, and a piece comes out over there - could be frustrating on the side of the road.
Seems weird behavior for TPU, particularly coming from someone with latex experience, because TPU is inherently, I thought, more low-pressure stable than latex, which can be a floppy mess when trying to install. Giving TPU a little shape-up, in my experience with Aerothan, makes installation a breeze.