Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to Carbon Fiber Game, about to pull a trigger, school me before I do!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New to Carbon Fiber Game, about to pull a trigger, school me before I do!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 09:15 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9662 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,507 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What is "front rattle"? I currently have 5 CF bikes in my stable. Anything that rattles isn't because the frame is CF.

Ride quality is influenced by tubes shapes, carbon layup pattern, quality of CF material, geometry, and multiple other things. You are correct that not all CF frames feel the same.
My guess is that is is from internal cables slapping the inside of the tubes when going over rough surfaces. I have one bike that does that some, but the other two are super quiet and rattle free.
Old 08-15-23, 09:33 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5052 Post(s)
Liked 8,320 Times in 3,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
My guess is that is is from internal cables slapping the inside of the tubes when going over rough surfaces. I have one bike that does that some, but the other two are super quiet and rattle free.
Sounds like a reasonable guess. My Stork does that in the top tube unless I have the cable in exactly the right spot. My other CF bikes do not.
Old 08-15-23, 01:42 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 336 Posts
Or valve stem hitting the rim on rough surfaces (common with deep carbon rims).
Old 08-15-23, 02:22 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
Hello all!

I am in process of getting myself a new road bike/frame as a whole or a project, but instead of my typical steel stallion, it will be Carbon or Titanium (more on Titanium later..)

This is new territory for me. I am looking into a Trek Madone carbon fiber frame. However, I found out the frame of interest is a 2016 model (7 years old?!), and after some reading, I am having my concerns..

Point blank, should I invest in a 7~ year old carbon frame? Or should I look for something a little newer? I have some 2020-2021 models in sight as well.

Thoughts?

Also have been looking into Titanium as well. Came across a brand called Blackhearts Ti Bike Co. Fairly priced, and was hoping to get any input on Ti frames and not the company in specific.

I want to venture into Carbon or Titanium. I am very excited for this new terrain and would love all input!

Thank you again!

Edit. Realized my questions had lots of 'preferences' within them.
I love Ti but if you are comparing modern Ti to modern carbon frames you are totally lost buying wise since they are the complete opposite.

Ti will never ever be as aero as carbon and certainly never be as light. Then factor in very few Ti bikes have full integration and the prices of a mid range Ti bike can even reach super bike territory. For me Ti is a great gravel, all road, flat bar, and even hardtail bike but for race and serious MTB I would stick with carbon or even aluminum.
Old 08-16-23, 01:05 PM
shuru421

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 27 Posts
Thank you all for the great feedback! After much thought and considerations, I pulled the trigger..

Its in transit and will post pics once I receive the frame.
By the way, I ended up going with a Canyon Carbon Fiber, Disc. Very excited!

2nd part of the fun!
Im dead set on Sram eTap groupset, but wheels are now the next big thing..

Am I correct to believe I need to consider the type of riding and terrain when choosing wheels?

I will take this bike for group rides on smooth terrain, solo rides near PCH, but also want to tackle climbs as well. Nothing too blingy (not important, function over form!), approx $1000~ MAX would be nice.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-16-23, 01:06 PM
shuru421

Originally Posted by Jrasero
I love Ti but if you are comparing modern Ti to modern carbon frames you are totally lost buying wise since they are the complete opposite.

Ti will never ever be as aero as carbon and certainly never be as light. Then factor in very few Ti bikes have full integration and the prices of a mid range Ti bike can even reach super bike territory. For me Ti is a great gravel, all road, flat bar, and even hardtail bike but for race and serious MTB I would stick with carbon or even aluminum.
Almostttt got the Ti.. I went to go check it out in person, and it sure was tempting..
Old 08-18-23, 01:32 PM
shuru421

Just got it! Realized I didnt have the bars on, but heres the final product! Wheels time!
Likes For shuru421:
Old 08-19-23, 06:59 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked 674 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Disc brakes are slightly heavier, but it will make no significant difference. Actual braking performance is generally better and more consistent. Also an advantage if you are choosing carbon wheels, especially wider modern rims.

Fully wireless eTap AXS 12-speed shifting is very nice and the easiest build possible. Di2 still has some wires to route, but 12-speed at least has wireless shifters. Both are a nice step up from cable shifting.

I have a 2022 Canyon Endurace SL8 with Force eTap AXS and DT Swiss ERC 1400 wheels. It weighs around 7.7 kg and the ride and handling is great. Super comfortable on 30 mm GP5000S TR tyres and completely rattle free ride. The carbon bars and seatpost add a lot to the comfort, damping out pretty much all road buzz. I’ve done some epic rides on this bike over the last year and it hasn’t missed a beat or had a single flat. So I’m definitely a big Canyon fan and their pricing is very competitive. Like multiple thousands cheaper than an equivalent spec BMC, Cervelo etc.

Ti frames are really a “lifestyle” choice at this point. If you prefer the aesthetic over the performance advantages of modern carbon then I guess why not? Personally I don’t see much advantage of titanium over steel or aluminium as a frame material. Design and manufacture are much more important. Even more so for carbon with so many intricate layup designs.

Just some thoughts from a mech engineer.
Problem with Canyon is that they sell you whatever integrated stem/bar combo they decided is appropriate for your size. The bar width is adjustable but the stem length is not. So how do you fit the bike? You can't.

They also won't let you buy the bike with a stem length of your choice. What they designate is what you must buy.

That's a dead end deal breaker right there. No point in paying money for a bike that you can't adjust the fit on. And no, you can't "just get used to it". Can you get used to wearing a different sized shoe? Everyone has different body proportions. Reach is the single most important thing that needs to be fitted on every bike.
Old 08-20-23, 09:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked 5,106 Times in 3,151 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Problem with Canyon is that they sell you whatever integrated stem/bar combo they decided is appropriate for your size. The bar width is adjustable but the stem length is not. So how do you fit the bike? You can't.

They also won't let you buy the bike with a stem length of your choice. What they designate is what you must buy.

That's a dead end deal breaker right there. No point in paying money for a bike that you can't adjust the fit on. And no, you can't "just get used to it". Can you get used to wearing a different sized shoe? Everyone has different body proportions. Reach is the single most important thing that needs to be fitted on every bike.
Yes it’s a problem if the stock aero bars don’t fit you. But even if you had to buy replacement bars it still works out a lot cheaper than their direct competition. For example my Canyon was £4,500 and all the other equivalent bikes were in the £6-7k range.
Old 08-23-23, 11:22 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
Just got it! Realized I didnt have the bars on, but heres the final product! Wheels time!
That is a sick frame (Aeroad CFR Tokyo Edition)
The missing handlebars might be the most troublesome to find since you probably need to buy a whole new cockpit if the length and width don't fit you, but other than that as long as you got a good deal on the frame I'd take that any day over a Ti frame unless you plan to crit race
Old 08-23-23, 08:55 PM
shuru421

Originally Posted by Jrasero
That is a sick frame (Aeroad CFR Tokyo Edition)
The missing handlebars might be the most troublesome to find since you probably need to buy a whole new cockpit if the length and width don't fit you, but other than that as long as you got a good deal on the frame I'd take that any day over a Ti frame unless you plan to crit race
Ah thank you! No its just not pictured, came with the bars and all!
The search continues for group/wheels!