Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

new tube install

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

new tube install

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 07:55 AM
metropical

Bikes: 2009 CAAD 9 - 6

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
new tube install

front tire tube let go the other day at the stem base.
bought a couple Conti tubes to replace.
I'd watched a Park Tool vid regarding changing the tube with Calvin.
He referred to putting the tube and tire back in the same direction.
Since I didn't mark anything during the removal, is there away to tell what direction the tire is going or isn't it really that important in the long run?
Any reason to repair and save the old tube?
Old 09-01-23, 08:01 AM
big john

Liked 9,471 Times in 4,645 Posts
Some Continental tires are marked for direction of rotation. If not and they have a wedge shaped pattern, the wedge points forward. If you can't figure it out don't worry about it.
You don't have to take the tire all the way off to replace the tube, btw.

If the tube is leaking at the base of the stem it's junk.
Old 09-01-23, 08:03 AM
metropical

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"You don't have to take the tire all the way off to replace the tube, btw." too late for that. heh, heh, heh
thanks John.
Old 09-01-23, 08:50 AM
metropical

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
looking at the new box and tube partially inflated, wonder if I bought the right one.?

Also, while I'm at it. The OEM was 45mm stem and there were 60 & 800mm stem versions. Why would someone want such a long stem?

what I bought

what came off which was OEM (I think) from Cannondale.

Last edited by metropical; 09-01-23 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-01-23, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,021 Times in 3,455 Posts
Tubes are made to fit a range of tire widths. So they give the minimum and maximum width of tire that the manufacture recommends the tube to be used for.

27" tires and 700C's only vary in bead seat diameter by 8 mm. So tubes for one can be used in the other. 700c has a BSD of 622mm and 27" a BSD of 630mm. Though a tube made exclusively for 27" tires might wrinkle or kink in a 700C.

Different brands of tubes might differ on what ranges of tire width their tubes are for.

Your tire is a 23mm width, then the tube might be considered too big. But if you are confident it doesn't have any wrinkles in it when installed and inflated, then you are probably okay. I wouldn't bust a gut to get it out of the tire if I'm not feeling any bumps from a wrinkle. I'd just ride it till it flats and then replace with something more appropriate.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-01-23 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-02-23, 03:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,840 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by metropical

Also, while I'm at it. The OEM was 45mm stem and there were 60 & 800mm stem versions. Why would someone want such a long stem?
Yes, you got the right tube size. Old one was a little smaller, for tires 18-25mm, and you bought for 25-32mm, but they overlap at 25mm, so all good. You’ll have a thicker tube and more puncture resistance.

Longer valve stems are needed for deep, aero cross-section rims.
Old 09-02-23, 07:54 AM
metropical

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
thank you both.
Likes For metropical: