Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'83 720 - Swapped to 700c, freewheel too close to dropout, fender bolt won't fit etc.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'83 720 - Swapped to 700c, freewheel too close to dropout, fender bolt won't fit etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-23, 08:26 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Liked 1,860 Times in 654 Posts
One thing you can do easy is pic up out side washers for both sides front and rear on the axels and maybe some inside ones.. Place one between the skewer and hub on each sides Washers premium stainless or brass ten dollars or so at nearly any hard wear store.
Old 09-09-23, 09:10 AM
polymorphself 

Liked 1,096 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I seem to remember these drop outs came with one eyelet and a second was brazed on during the build up. That could account for a slightly inboard eyelet without damage.

somewhere on this forum is a 720 stripped before a repaint, and you can see the brazing.

if I’m remembering….
Thanks, another poster said the same, so it seems likely. More than the eyelet now I'm worried about whether the dropout itself is bent in a little or if the inward eyelet is just giving that impression. I know we can't really confirm from photos, I can hardly confirm from looking at it and haven't had a chance to really look at it since this post.
Old 09-09-23, 09:23 AM
madpogue 

Liked 1,763 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
I seem to remember these drop outs came with one eyelet and a second was brazed on during the build up. That could account for a slightly inboard eyelet without damage.
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Thanks, another poster said the same, so it seems likely.
That "other poster" is JohnDThompson , who worked there. So you can count on it.
Likes For madpogue: