Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 11:44 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Well that depends entirely on the knowledge and experience of the individuals involved. That’s why newbies often ask for advice from random dudes on the internet. The replies tend to reflect the full spectrum of good, bad and indifferent.
Replace with ridiculous.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-18-24, 11:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
not so much if the advice and opinions about others' choices is gratuitously furnished and come across as smug and snarky putdowns of others' choices.
mmmm....... I bet you never do that kind of thing right?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-23-24, 12:30 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2p

Originally Posted by jlaw
Cool bike.

Keep the fork.

fork changed !

Last edited by t2p; 05-23-24 at 12:34 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 05-27-24, 09:34 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Of course you are totally free to make whatever choices of clothing or gear you like, however poor they may or may not be.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

I do ride with bicycle shorts, and they have marijuana-themed graphic panels on the side. I don't 'partake' I bought them because they were deeply-discounted. Other than summertime gloves I don't have any other bicycle-specific clothing.
Old 05-28-24, 08:17 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 474 Posts
As it happens, the last 6-7 years of my 58+ years of cycling are now often Solo. So I half qualify for this thread. I am not a casual cyclist, as might be the tilt that word is used herein.
I've been a dedicated cyclist for all of those cycling years. And aside from my family (young and elder) cycling seems to be the longest 'love' of my ride thru time. There are many other 'loves', some more encompassing of my spirit and soul, but cycling has been most consistent. I try to ride everyday which presents that opportunity.
These days I do ride solo a lot. But, luckily I also have groups I can ride with.
I've been graced with a life which makes good allowance for cycling, and time in our natural world.
Riding Solo is not a requirement, but it does provide flexibility to ride however, wherever I desire. Riding with others has it's strong points, because mostly I find others with the same positive outlook on their lives and the world. And the 'competitive' aspect is as much (and 'more' for me) about competing with yourself, as well as competing with others.
I'm ok with cycling in all its forms, some which don;t interest me, but that's ok.
Cycling is one of the few things where you can off-load the baggage and difficulties of life, and re-find yourself.
There are so many things in life which challenge our ability to bring joy into life, cycling remains one of the things I can count on to bring joy, no matter how difficult and adverse the process might be.
Here's hoping it can do and be the same for you.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-29-24, 11:53 AM
JeffAP60

Bikes: Trek DS1 yard sale find :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
63 years old.

I always ride solo, usually tour the neighborhood or a sprint to a local store. I try not to use the car much anymore.

At some point I would like to get rid of the car, I could always rent one for trips, but I usually vacation by train anyway. Could Uber if needed in bad weather.
Old 05-29-24, 01:16 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 2,520 Times in 1,480 Posts
Moderation note. Members who are not posting in the thread, should not be referenced especially if there is no value added.
Old 05-29-24, 01:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,774 Times in 2,913 Posts
My friend and role model has no patience with the gatekeeping and elitism of cycling. He refuses to buy any cycling specific kit. Or a bike.
Likes For shelbyfv: