Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I may have a fit problem

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I may have a fit problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 01:55 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 508 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 1979schwinn
Hydrate hydrate
I stay hydrated, and with the weather turning warm and humid I plan to stay ahead of it.
Old 04-17-24, 02:00 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Rode 12 miles today with my original saddle mounted. I still need to tweak it a little but it’s close to being adjusted. I mounted it with about a half bubble nose up using a 6” torpedo level.
My sit bones felt ok and there was no pressure on my nads.
I still have weight on my hands. Once I get the saddle positioned as perfectly as possible I will look at adjusting the height and reach for the handlebars.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 09-18-24, 08:47 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I hate to resurrect an old post but I am still trying to figure this out.
I may give in and take it to get fitted but I am stubborn and want to do it myself.
Reading back through the replies I see mentions of the handlebar to seat height. I now see the spacers that increased the stack height to yhe point my seat and the bars are basically the same height.
Tonight I lowered the seat height and moved to a little forward.
Keep in mind I bought this bike used and have no idea what was done to it before I got it. The previous owner had rotated the handlebars. Someone said it may have been to increase reach.
I found a website with the original specs for my bike. How do I measure stack height? I want to return the bike to factory specs or see if it has been changed.
How do I measure reach?
Old 09-18-24, 09:25 PM
Kontact

Liked 2,262 Times in 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I hate to resurrect an old post but I am still trying to figure this out.
I may give in and take it to get fitted but I am stubborn and want to do it myself.
Reading back through the replies I see mentions of the handlebar to seat height. I now see the spacers that increased the stack height to yhe point my seat and the bars are basically the same height.
Tonight I lowered the seat height and moved to a little forward.
Keep in mind I bought this bike used and have no idea what was done to it before I got it. The previous owner had rotated the handlebars. Someone said it may have been to increase reach.
I found a website with the original specs for my bike. How do I measure stack height? I want to return the bike to factory specs or see if it has been changed.
How do I measure reach?
Measuring stack and reach aren't going to tell you anything. Those are numbers that people who already have a good fit use to select bikes that will work for their fit.

You lowered the seat. What process did you use to set the seat height in the first place?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-18-24, 09:44 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Kontact
Measuring stack and reach aren't going to tell you anything. Those are numbers that people who already have a good fit use to select bikes that will work for their fit.

You lowered the seat. What process did you use to set the seat height in the first place?
The first height was sitting and putting my heel on the pedal with my knee not locked out.
I don't think I rock my hips while pedaling.
I lowered it about 1/4”-1/2” from where it was.
I may not be as precise as the rest of you.
Old 09-18-24, 09:53 PM
Kontact

Liked 2,262 Times in 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
The first height was sitting and putting my heel on the pedal with my knee not locked out.
I don't think I rock my hips while pedaling.
I lowered it about 1/4”-1/2” from where it was.
I may not be as precise as the rest of you.
That seat height method is going to give you a low saddle height compared to more accepted methods.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-18-24, 11:00 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Kontact
That seat height method is going to give you a low saddle height compared to more accepted methods.
When I get a chance I will do the measuring and formula method.
One problem I have is that I am not sure exactly where I am on the saddle. I scoot back and forth.
Old 09-19-24, 04:04 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Liked 1,429 Times in 835 Posts
Maybe I missed it but what is needed is a pic of you on the bike. Your body dimensions will be one of the critical variables. And, you are asking people on a cycling forum to offer advice? I've been cycling for close to 50 yrs so I have a good idea of what my ballpark figures are. But, that ends up being an approximation. I'd go get a fit.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-19-24, 08:43 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by bruce19
Maybe I missed it but what is needed is a pic of you on the bike. Your body dimensions will be one of the critical variables. And, you are asking people on a cycling forum to offer advice? I've been cycling for close to 50 yrs so I have a good idea of what my ballpark figures are. But, that ends up being an approximation. I'd go get a fit.
I do need to get my wife to take a pic of me on my bike. It’s difficult for her to get the time. I will work on doing that this weekend.