Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Keys lost - Opening Pit lock

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Keys lost - Opening Pit lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 01:38 AM
capybeep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Is it one key for the skewers and seatpost, or two keys? If you mail them the skewers, can they decode them and send you back your skewers and all your keys and codes?
It was a single key for the whole set. However, guess where I packed the remaining set pieces I didn’t use. Har har. (Spoiler: in the same box of bike gear that was lost in the move.)

It could be worse. I could’ve installed the whole set before moving. Thankfully, the my saddle is in a good position and not in need of replacement.
Old 06-27-21, 07:18 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
We used to remove McGard wheel locks from auto wheels by driving a just smaller impact socket unto them and turning them off.
I was going to suggest the same. I've had to do that pulling parts in junk yard. Use a 12 point socket if possible.

I don't know how pit locks work but that thing looks like you need to turn the part inside that outer cup.

If you are really stuck weld a nut onto the end of the part you need to turn.

Just noticed the date of the thread, but this being BF it won't stop a conversation.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 06-27-21 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-27-21, 09:13 AM
capybeep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I was going to suggest the same. I've had to do that pulling parts in junk yard. Use a 12 point socket if possible.

I don't know how pit locks work but that thing looks like you need to turn the part inside that outer cup.

If you are really stuck weld a nut onto the end of the part you need to turn.

Just noticed the date of the thread, but this being BF it won't stop a conversation.
Oh neat! I didn’t consider the welding option. I’ll keep it in mind. Thank you :-)

And you’re right; it’s the part on the inside of the cup that requires turning.
Old 06-27-21, 06:52 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Seeing as we're all having productive fun with a zombie thread I'll chime in:
1. If I had proof (eg, e-mail receipt) of purchase I'd certainly expect the manufacturer to he more helpful. I do understand that without some sort of proof of ownership there's no way they would send out locks.
2. An insured mover should pay the cost of having this resolved. During my one paid move the movers damaged a few things. It was very easy to come to an agreement with the movers that they would give me $X for the effort. If they didn't want to pay be $Y for the part plus $Z for my time to fix it myself I would happily take it to a professional for repair, where the bill would be much larger.
3. Careful with the welding solution. I've used that to remove a number of stubborn fasteners, particularly broken off screws in large castings. However, the heat from the welding action is something to be considered. It's probably not an issue with a steel or maybe even aluminum fork, but even wrapped in a wet rag I wouldn't want to do that to a fork with a carbon leg, or really any fork that has a bonded in dropout. It may also not do the paint any favors.
4. If using destructive removal, you could grind the entire end off, but if you grind a hole in the center the head then typically falls off. It may be easier to access the fixed side rather than the nut side if you're going the destructive removal route.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 06-28-21, 01:44 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
I still would talk to the manufacturer (do they have a local branch?). Sending them the brand new skewers should suffice as proof of ownership (along with purchase records), and hopefully they are able to decode them.

Or are the skewers lost with everything else?

Originally Posted by dedhed
We used to remove McGard wheel locks from auto wheels by driving a just smaller impact socket unto them and turning them off.
There are also a few brands of "bolt extractors". Craftsman, Irwin, others?

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Bol.../dp/B007C6KKAK

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-HANSON-...dp/B0000CCXVZ/

I haven't had a lot of use for my Craftsman bolt extractors. When I bought them, they came in a nice plastic box with half of them. Then I had to pay extra to get the other half.
Old 04-18-24, 04:29 AM
lister00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An old thread but one of the few on the subject.
I've just been in the same position, and was looking for answers.
I was thinking up a load of complex and destructive options, until I thought I should try some plyers.
Just opened my pitlock axel in 2 seconds with some needle nose plyers.
So maybe not as safe as we thought.

But the answer for anyone stuck is: Needle Nose Plyers
Old 04-18-24, 06:21 AM
grumpus

Liked 517 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by lister00
An old thread but one of the few on the subject.
I've just been in the same position, and was looking for answers.
I was thinking up a load of complex and destructive options, until I thought I should try some plyers.
Just opened my pitlock axel in 2 seconds with some needle nose plyers.
So maybe not as safe as we thought.

But the answer for anyone stuck is: Needle Nose Plyers
Pliers. I don't think that would work if the skewer was properly tight. An angle grinder will work every time, just don't spoil the paint with a shower of sparks.