Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Miyata Freedom Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 10:08 PM
beance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata Freedom Sport

Hey guys!

I have a Miyata; albeit a modern one and nothing as pretty as the classics over at the Miata Forum.

Anyway, after randomly visiting a bike shop which sells surplus bikes from Japan, I came into possession of a relatively modern (2013?) chromoly steel framed Miyata Freedom Sport model (type of CrMo wasn't indicated on the frame and website though - any thoughts on what it could be?). It came with modern, relatively low-end components:

RD: Shimano Tourney A050
FD: Shimano Tourney A050
Shifters: Shimano SL-SY20A downtube shifters
Brakes and Levers: Promax BL253 Levers and Promax RC469 Calipers
Wheels and Tires: Modus 28 spoke hubs, HL13DA-A6061 700C & 700×28C Tires
Generic crank and chain rings

I adore classic geometry on a road bike and I always wanted to have a classic steel bike (or at least a classic-looking bike) so I said whatever and pulled the trigger on it. I paid around $145 bucks for it; and despite looking banged up and needing to true up the front wheel, it rides pretty nice - although this being my first steel road bike (and road bike at that) I have nothing to compare it to.

The wheels come in some pretty funky colors though which kind of makes it look a bit funny. As I said, I love the look of old steel bikes so the first thing I would do would be to swap out the wheels for something that looks more retro - gumwall tires, and silver rims and spokes. And getting more retro-looking downtube shifters would also be ideal. Also repainting it would be nice since I don't really dig the white fork.

The question now is whether it is worth spending more money on this bike or just leave it as it is and ride it til its broke? I'm torn between updating it to brifters and just leaving the downtube shifters on. If you had such a bike what would you do with it? I'd really love to hear your ideas or just general thoughts on the bike. Thanks guys and continue rockin this forum

Old 08-29-17, 06:13 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2966 Post(s)
Liked 3,045 Times in 1,553 Posts
I think the frame is much older than 2013. I believe most large brands stopped using threaded headsets by 2000.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-29-17, 07:13 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Swap out the shifters for ST-A070 Tourney brifters...
Old 08-29-17, 07:44 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,882 Posts
It may not be a whole lot older, providing the derailleurs are OEM. These were popular as replacement derailleurs with cost conscientious customers and a quick check of the technical data sheet shows a March 2003 date, which was likely the introduction date.

While it is a low end model, if the installing brifters will greatly increase cycling pleasure, then they should be considered, There was a matching set of A050 brifters and they can be had for about $75. If all you want is to move the shifters on onto the bars, there was also a set of matching thumb shifters designed to mount next to the stem and they cost about $20.

The two things that I would definitely do to this bicycle are new handlebar tape and brake lever hoods. Since brifters would come with hoods, that would effectively offset some of the cost.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-13-17, 11:17 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by beance
Hey guys!

I have a Miyata; albeit a modern one and nothing as pretty as the classics over at the Miata Forum.

Anyway, after randomly visiting a bike shop which sells surplus bikes from Japan, I came into possession of a relatively modern (2013?) chromoly steel framed Miyata Freedom Sport model (type of CrMo wasn't indicated on the frame and website though - any thoughts on what it could be?). It came with modern, relatively low-end components:
This is a Japanese domestic model, I think. Freedom Sports AFRS525 the 52cm version or AFRS485 the 48cm version. Part of the Miyata Urban group of models.

MIYATAŽ©“]ŽÔ | MIYATA | ƒ‰ƒCƒ“ƒiƒbƒv
Old 05-03-24, 11:56 AM
Hussnain Subhan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata Freedom Shonan Series

Hi Everyone ... Just joined this forum recently... Wanted some info regarding an old model of Miyata ... Had stopped riding for some time ( got into motorcycles lol) so I had some old bikes left in my store and recently decided to restore them when I came thru a Miyata ... Wasnt able to find this model on the net ... Most of the parts seem original like the Veronique wheels Joytec hubs etc... has a Miyata Metal badge on the front with a freedom sticker in the centre frame rode and below the seat it says Shonan Series...and it has a flip flop hub with both freewheel and fixedIf anyone could guide me the model year and it's worth roughly ( thinking abt selling it )