Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Front Camera Help, recommendations, for safety

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-24, 07:51 AM
Aloyzius
Thawing Member

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma ES, Vintage Bob Jackson Audax, Raleigh Frankenbike., Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Alloro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently had an accident. It’s been painful, traumatic, and I’m off the bike, per my doc, for at least eight weeks. This could be going better if I had footage of what happened and it’s been a game changer. I don’t love cameras, but riding in Florida is dangerous.

when I get back out there, I’ll be riding with a Garmin RCT715. It has radar, looping camera, long battery life and has lots of good reviews. I’m open to other suggestion though.

does anyone have any recommendations for a decent front mount camera for safety? know there’s a lot of great action cams, like GoPro and Akaso, but I’m not interested in making videos. I want looping footage, long battery life, and I would like locked footage in the event of an accident. I would like to just get out and ride all day and not fuss with a bunch of electronics.

do you have something that works for you?

Last edited by Aloyzius; 05-04-24 at 12:57 PM. Reason: I gave too much info. I wish I could delete the whole thread, for now, but I cannot
Old 05-04-24, 08:27 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Aloyzius
I was recently taken out by a car, while riding and broke my clavicle. It’s been painful, traumatic, and I’m off the bike, per my doc, for at least eight weeks. This could be going better if I had footage of what happened and it’s been a game changer. I don’t love cameras, but riding in Florida is dangerous.

when I get back out there, I’ll be riding with a Garmin RCT715. It has radar, looping camera, long battery life and has lots of good reviews. I’m open to other suggestion though.

does anyone have any recommendations for a decent front mount camera for safety? know there’s a lot of great action cams, like GoPro and Akaso, but I’m not interested in making videos. I want looping footage, long battery life, and I would like locked footage in the event of an accident. I would like to just get out and ride all day and not fuss with a bunch of electronics.

I don't have one, but it's hard to argue with a Fly12 from Cyclic for the criteria you describe, other than cost. And if you haven't already bought the Garmin camera, their Fly6 is a great rear camera / light and build specifically for your use-case.

https://cycliq.com/

The other option is just an older GoPro with an external battery pack and set it up for looping record. No need for a GoPro 11 or 12 - a 3, 4 or 5 will do you just as well for this and you can get one much cheaper than a Fly12
Likes For Viich:
Old 05-04-24, 08:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 1,689 Times in 832 Posts
Aloyzius I have an earlier, less capable 1080 version of this camera. Five years on my helmet in rain, sun and snow...knocked it, dropped it...absolutely no problems. I still get 7 hours of battery life.

Drift Ghost XL Pro - 4K Action Camera, Image Stabilization, Waterproof, Rotatable Lens, Dashcam Mode, Livestreaming, Clone Mode, 7hr Battery Life at 1080P & 4.5hr Battery Life at 4K

...about $160.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 05-04-24, 08:41 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 254 Posts
I'm not nitpicking here, I just want to be sure that you're thinking clearly.

A front camera has nothing to do with safety. It does nothing to reduce the chances of you getting in an accident. It only helps after the fact, to show what happened. You want to be able to establish, after the fact, what went wrong/who is responsible. That is for civil or criminal liability, not safety.

(OK - I'm not entirely correct. A front camera can help with safety indirectly, I suppose, if you review the footage and change your riding behavior based on your review. But, it doesn't sound like you intend to use it in that way.)
Likes For noimagination:
Old 05-04-24, 08:47 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 280 Posts
I thought the OP was asking for a camera with built in AI that would steer the bike for him.

But thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 05-04-24, 08:56 AM
NVFlinch 

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 51 Posts
I was recently taken out by a car, while riding and broke my clavicle. It’s been painful, traumatic, and I’m off the bike, per my doc, for at least eight weeks. This could be going better if I had footage of what happened and it’s been a game changer. I don’t love cameras, but riding in Florida is dangerous...when I get back out there, I’ll be riding with a Garmin RCT715. It has radar, looping camera, long battery life and has lots of good reviews.
I feel your pain, or actually, I felt pain after getting pasted last fall and having a broken pelvis - off the bike for months. Fortunately there were three witnesses, and the uninsured, unregistered perp was cited. I'm considering a camera as well so am following this post. I did get rear radar, Varia, and won't ride without it now, for many reasons. I also bought the brightest rear light I could find, and run with both it and the Varia light - I don't ride in groups. Fenix front flashing light as well. Believe me, after going through the legal process, pics or witnesses make a huge $$$ difference.
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 05-04-24, 09:28 AM
Aloyzius
Thawing Member

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma ES, Vintage Bob Jackson Audax, Raleigh Frankenbike., Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Alloro.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here in Florida there are no license plates or tags on the front of vehicles. So a front camera is useful identifying vehicles and documenting unsafe behaviors.
Old 05-04-24, 09:38 AM
Aloyzius
Thawing Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noimagination
How thoughtful.
Old 05-04-24, 10:23 AM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 206 Posts
I have the Garmin 715 on the rear and a Fly 12 camera/light on the front.

The Fly 12 works well enough. Battery life is okay at about 4.5 hours while running the light in a daytime random flash mode. I wish it were longer so I could just recharge weekly. Now I recharge after every ride, unless I know I'm doing back-to-back rides under 4 hours total.

The Fly 12 seemed to be the best option for a combo camera and light. The image is fine and of course options for frame rates and resolution.

Negatives of the Fly 12 are the battery level indications are all but useless. I don't recall specifics, but it's like it indicates there is 50% or more left, but then battery dies in 30 minutes. That type thing. But the battery does last more than they say for various light and camera options. It's just you can't trust the level it tells you, other than fully charged.

The other is it has a microphone built in that is essentially useless. Any bike movement and wind noise dominates. They do sell a little "furry" stick on thing that apparently is meant to address this. I would have ordered that had I known. It's on my list to stick something on there as a wind block and see if it makes it any better.

Related to this is how good the mic is on the Garmin 715. No wind noise at all just the humming of my carbon wheels. Of course the location, front vs rear, likely has a lot to do with this.

I'd like to say buying a Fly 12 is a no-brainer. But, if you're willing to run a separate light (something that may make you safer), you obviously have more options for a camera only.

You an put larger memory cards in both the 715 and the Fly 12 that are going top give you all the recording time you'd ever want for any sort of normal bike riding. In fact, think that through a bit as larger just means more video files you'll have in the folder and it can be a lot of files. So, bigger isn't always better.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 05-04-24, 11:40 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 117 Posts
I was recently taken out by a car, while riding and broke my clavicle. It’s been painful, traumatic, and I’m off the bike, per my doc, for at least eight weeks. This could be going better if I had footage of what happened and it’s been a game changer. I don’t love cameras, but riding in Florida is dangerous.

I used a Cycliq Fly 6 rear camera for a few years. Did manage to capture one crazy c**ksucker who buzzed us in his truck. Sent the video to the Sheriff’s dept and a deputy made a house call and gave the guy a warning. A camera won’t make you safer, just provide you or your next-of-kin evidence for a conviction or lawsuit. My Fly6 gave me ~4.5 hours in daylight flashing mode - not really long enough for “all day riding”. A Varia radar actually contributes to safety, so that’s what’s on my seatpost now.

Last edited by 13ollocks; 05-04-24 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-04-24, 12:25 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 254 Posts
How thoughtful.
How nice.
Old 05-04-24, 12:30 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts

How will the camera keep you safe? I'll answer, it won't. Yes, it can give you footage for your loved ones to use in case of an accident, but it won't contribute to your safety.

As far as safety goes. Ditch the electronics that will only serve to distract you. Watch where you are going, and use a mirror. Everywhere is dangerous to ride. Try riding in the hills of Western PA in the Pittsburgh suburban areas on two lane roads where there are no shoulders, no bike lanes, and a hillside or a drop off at the side of the road, with lots of traffic. For that I use a flashing red taillight during the day, and a solid red taillight, and steady red taillights at night along with a Lupine Piko 3 headlight. A camera will do absolutely nothing to keep you safe.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-05-24, 08:47 AM
13ollocks

Originally Posted by phughes
How will the camera keep you safe? I'll answer, it won't. Yes, it can give you footage for your loved ones to use in case of an accident, but it won't contribute to your safety.

As far as safety goes. Ditch the electronics that will only serve to distract you. Watch where you are going, and use a mirror. Everywhere is dangerous to ride. Try riding in the hills of Western PA in the Pittsburgh suburban areas on two lane roads where there are no shoulders, no bike lanes, and a hillside or a drop off at the side of the road, with lots of traffic. For that I use a flashing red taillight during the day, and a solid red taillight, and steady red taillights at night along with a Lupine Piko 3 headlight. A camera will do absolutely nothing to keep you safe.
living in PGH for ~6 years almost made me give up cycling - roads were in terrible condition, the drivers pretty intolerant. I ended up going out Sunday mornings at/before sunrise, when the streets were deserted
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 05-05-24, 11:23 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2041 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,062 Posts

A front camera has nothing to do with safety. It does nothing to reduce the chances of you getting in an accident. It only helps after the fact, to show what happened. You want to be able to establish, after the fact, what went wrong/who is responsible. That is for civil or criminal liability, not safety.

(OK - I'm not entirely correct. A front camera can help with safety indirectly, I suppose, if you review the footage and change your riding behavior based on your review. But, it doesn't sound like you intend to use it in that way.)
A camera can also help with safety if it is visible to others and to the extent that it cause others to moderate their behavior.
Old 05-05-24, 01:52 PM
13ollocks

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
A camera can also help with safety if it is visible to others and to the extent that it cause others to moderate their behavior.
some ******* driver approaching too close and too fast is going to notice a small camera attached to your seatpost?🤔
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 05-06-24, 07:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,979 Times in 1,238 Posts
I ran a Fly6/Fly12 combination for a few years. It did what it did fairly well, although the 4-5 hour life was long gone at the end of all day rides. The only time I really reviewed any of the video, besides the "new toy" checkout, was to find out if I'd been in danger when I heard some loud screeching behind me. (No, it was a kid enjoying burning up his tires coming out of a stop sign, not someone hitting their brakes close behind me.) Shortly after that, I forgot to put it back on after taking it off for refreshing the date and recharging the battery. Haven't missed it, TBH.
Old 05-06-24, 08:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts

agreed but there's a caveat. if the camera is very obvious it can act a deterrent in some situations. so many cameras now, however, are built to blend-in & are NOT obvious
Old 05-06-24, 09:10 AM
sawyerge

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
put a sports camera on the helmet? Not sure it is a good idea or not.