Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon rejuvenation

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon rejuvenation

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 05:59 PM
Duragrouch

Liked 580 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Need41speed
Had to google “eschew”! Thanks for expanding my vocabulary 😜.
Mmmmm, eschew chicken, my favorite. With a glass of eschew milk.
Old 05-09-24, 04:15 PM
Need41speed
BeastMaster

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Retrospec Spec (highly modified), EPX fixie

Liked 60 Times in 29 Posts
Dismantling the V clamp hinge

The bike has been stripped of all components and prepping for powder coating. Encountered a problem with disassembling the hinge. There is a long spindle (ventral view of hinge) in this port that I’m unsure of how to remove. There are no visible surfaces for an Allen key or threads. Anyone ever tackled this problem?
The shaft is shown in the 2nd pic, on the left side.

Last edited by Need41speed; 05-09-24 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 05-09-24, 09:46 PM
Duragrouch

(above) Gosh, your pic, a bit fuzzy, but looks like a black snap ring on the bottom, but I see none in the rebuild kit shot. Is that long pin in a blind hole, or is there a hole on the opposite side to drive out the pin? In the parts shot, again, fuzzy so hard to see, but it looks like the pin is stepped or threaded on the end?
Old 06-03-24, 09:07 PM
Need41speed
BeastMaster

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
(above) Gosh, your pic, a bit fuzzy, but looks like a black snap ring on the bottom, but I see none in the rebuild kit shot. Is that long pin in a blind hole, or is there a hole on the opposite side to drive out the pin? In the parts shot, again, fuzzy so hard to see, but it looks like the pin is stepped or threaded on the end?
Took the frame to a machine shop and finally my LBS. The pin is internally threaded and further internet research found a YouTube video that showed how to extract the pin. The LBS (who was awaiting response from Dahon on pin removal) got the hinge disassembled and now, the frame members are heading to the paint shop for prepping & powder coating.
Old 06-03-24, 09:25 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Need41speed
Took the frame to a machine shop and finally my LBS. The pin is internally threaded and further internet research found a YouTube video that showed how to extract the pin. The LBS (who was awaiting response from Dahon on pin removal) got the hinge disassembled and now, the frame members are heading to the paint shop for prepping & powder coating.
Sounds great! If you can, please post a link to the youtube video. I'm hoping there is a related video for the steel Dahon frame which has a lateral setscrew below the pin to hold it in place, but the pin is therefore blocked so I can't see if it also has internal threads. That would make sense, as the pin is in a blind hole, can't punch/drift it out. Searching on youtube, I only see instructions for adjusting the latch on various hinges, same in the Dahon Service Manual, nothing about replacing the pin.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-24, 10:31 PM
Need41speed
BeastMaster

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Sounds great! If you can, please post a link to the youtube video. I'm hoping there is a related video for the steel Dahon frame which has a lateral setscrew below the pin to hold it in place, but the pin is therefore blocked so I can't see if it also has internal threads..
In my case also, there was a lateral set screw blocking access that I had removed. Pin removal (2:35) and reinstall (10:00)
Likes For Need41speed:
Old 06-03-24, 11:42 PM
Duragrouch

(above) Thanks, but no sound on video, here or on youtube. Says "Better with audio" on screen, tried clicking there, nothing. Commercial at beginning has sound, so not my settings.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 06-03-24 at 11:46 PM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 06-04-24, 12:06 AM
Ron Damon

Liked 667 Times in 422 Posts
Excellent job. You have the patience of a saint. My only nit-pick is the length of that cabling in front of the handlebar. If you install a rack or bag on the front block, it's gonna interfere. Plus don't forget the capstan equation. Only the coefficient of friction and total change in direction matter.

Good to see another unique 305er.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-04-24 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-04-24, 04:31 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Excellent job. You have the patience of a saint. My only nit-pick is the length of that cabling in front of the handlebar. If you install a rack or bag on the front block, it's gonna interfere. Plus don't forget the capstan equation. Only the coefficient of friction and total change in direction matter.

Good to see another unique 305er.
That video was not the OP, but the one where he learned how the pin removes. The OP sent his frame off to powder coat, and it'll be great to see that. As far as that video, yeah, ton of work. I chem-stripped a frame ONCE in order to put together my first derailleur bike from a trashed frame, while I was still in school and short of money, never again. I especially liked where they used the Dahon decals as a matte(?) or masking over a base coat, then remove after the contrasting coat, that's slick.