Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Death of a Salesman - Oops - meant cyclist :-)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 07:37 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 111 Posts

Since around 2014 I have been a 7K to 9K per year roadie type, but never really competed beyond the occasional 'how fast can I go' century or maybe a Strava KOM. These days (age 74) improvement year to year is not going to happen (and 'deprovement' is inevitable and happening). Now my riding has interestingly shifted to 100% indoor trainer (at least since last fall). And there is not much motivation here beyond just weight control. I ride every day that I don't play golf (so I ride 5 or 6 days a week) and tend to stop at 1000 Kcal (per my Garmin Vector's) and 80 TSS points (which are probably being underestimated since I have not recently changed my ftp numbers). This takes 75 to 90 minutes depending on how I feel.

My list of age related aches and pains is relatively long, I guess
  • lumbar region spinal stenosis (thankfully in remission due to lots of crunches and I have not required a spinal epidural in over two years)
  • aortic valve stenosis that probably has some kind of performance impact but not much (so far)
  • bone on bone in both knees. An expensive knee brace and hyaluronic acid injections keep me pedaling although I doubt that I could do the training required for a serious century if I were so inclined. I could probably do the ride if my knees survived the training.
  • bone on bone in the left shoulder. This one is the one that put me off the bike as the vibration of riding (I think) triggered enough pain that golf was becoming impossible (and sleeping was no bargain either). A shoulder workout routine managed directly by my orthopedic surgeon (no PT involved) has at least kept me swinging a golf club.
  • undiagnosed (upcoming medical appointment) issue with the right shoulder
  • tachycardia that is quite manageable now that I have cut out all caffeine
  • carpal tunnel on both hands (some hand numbness during rides and lots at night requiring a wrist brace)
So I guess that (for now anyway) I am no longer a cyclist. Anybody want to buy a 2020 Trek Emonda SL6 (just kidding and just venting).

dave

ps. I suggested to my doctor that I rent the 2nd floor of the local hospital and have two knee replacements, back surgery, carpal tunnel surgery, aortic valve replacement, and heart ablation - just wake me when you are done

Last edited by DaveLeeNC; 05-07-24 at 07:42 AM.
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 05-08-24, 05:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3786 Post(s)
Liked 5,777 Times in 2,915 Posts
The time will come for each of us but I'd suggest you view it as a process rather than a clean break. You may be tempted by nice weather or boredom to go out for a ride. Don't get rid of your gear until an entire year has passed, maybe more. Speaking from experience and a depleted wallet.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-08-24, 06:57 AM
pelirary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I can identify with a lot of what you said. At 76 I still think that I am in my prime and wonder why I can't ride as fast or as long as I did years ago. My yearly mileage was nowhere near yours, averaging about three thousand. Now I am down to half that and some of that is on the trainer indoors. I keep thinking if I work at it I can get back to my old riding abilities. Hah! I only kid myself.

I know I should eat better and probably cut out the glass or two of wine I have each day to be in better shape, but I lack the willpower to do so. Or maybe my real feelings are that at this age I should be able to enjoy eating and wine.

As for my health. I have had joint and back issues since my thirties. Been in and out of PT more times than I can count. Both shoulders are okay today (lol) but could go bad at any time; and it happens. I can't do pushups or pull ups or any upper strengthening. I avoid throwing a ball, or bowling because I am afraid of making thinks worse. I have arthritis in my back and neck. And in my back I have two degenerative disks which put me on the floor with a heating pad a half a dozen times a year. My knees and hips ache from time to time but not enough to go to the doctor or keep me from riding. And I am just thankful my heart is in good shape.

Getting old is not for the weak.
Likes For pelirary:
Old 05-08-24, 07:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,829 Times in 880 Posts
Start skydiving. What have you got to lose?

Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Since around 2014 I have been a 7K to 9K per year roadie type, but never really competed beyond the occasional 'how fast can I go' century or maybe a Strava KOM. These days (age 74) improvement year to year is not going to happen (and 'deprovement' is inevitable and happening). Now my riding has interestingly shifted to 100% indoor trainer (at least since last fall). And there is not much motivation here beyond just weight control. I ride every day that I don't play golf (so I ride 5 or 6 days a week) and tend to stop at 1000 Kcal (per my Garmin Vector's) and 80 TSS points (which are probably being underestimated since I have not recently changed my ftp numbers). This takes 75 to 90 minutes depending on how I feel.

My list of age related aches and pains is relatively long, I guess
  • lumbar region spinal stenosis (thankfully in remission due to lots of crunches and I have not required a spinal epidural in over two years)
  • aortic valve stenosis that probably has some kind of performance impact but not much (so far)
  • bone on bone in both knees. An expensive knee brace and hyaluronic acid injections keep me pedaling although I doubt that I could do the training required for a serious century if I were so inclined. I could probably do the ride if my knees survived the training.
  • bone on bone in the left shoulder. This one is the one that put me off the bike as the vibration of riding (I think) triggered enough pain that golf was becoming impossible (and sleeping was no bargain either). A shoulder workout routine managed directly by my orthopedic surgeon (no PT involved) has at least kept me swinging a golf club.
  • undiagnosed (upcoming medical appointment) issue with the right shoulder
  • tachycardia that is quite manageable now that I have cut out all caffeine
  • carpal tunnel on both hands (some hand numbness during rides and lots at night requiring a wrist brace)
So I guess that (for now anyway) I am no longer a cyclist. Anybody want to buy a 2020 Trek Emonda SL6 (just kidding and just venting).

dave

ps. I suggested to my doctor that I rent the 2nd floor of the local hospital and have two knee replacements, back surgery, carpal tunnel surgery, aortic valve replacement, and heart ablation - just wake me when you are done
Old 05-09-24, 05:08 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 4,927 Times in 2,273 Posts
I don't quite get how you can ride 90 min most days and not ride outside. I can see where Emonda SL isn't the best choice for relaxed riding, but outside beats inside, most of the year. Maybe an e-bike to help those knees? For me (@72) cycling is no longer mostly about fitness, but equally about fun-ness.

Some rides just feel Italian.
Old 05-09-24, 08:36 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 379 Posts
At 76 I still have the same body I was born with. Just wish I had taken better care of it when I was younger. But like OP, I still hit 7G in miles per year and do it mostly for the exercise factor. Naw, that's not entirely true, I really do love riding. Anything with wheels gets my heart pumping and always has since I was a toddler. Since OP isn't ready to part with his ride, I'm betting he'll still get out there every day he can. Good luck,
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 05-09-24, 08:40 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 855 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
... Some rides just feel Italian.
... but with Japanese brakes. I see you did the same brake mod on your Bianchi that I did on mine, with aero levers and dual-pivot calipers. So much for keeping it Italian, but now at least I can stop safely.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-09-24, 09:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by John E
... but with Japanese brakes. So much for keeping it Italian, ...
Santa Madre di Dio, non mettere mai parti giapponesi su una bici Italiano.

La sella è già inappropriata

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-09-24 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-09-24, 09:48 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by John E
... but now at least I can stop safely.
stopping is overrated for road bikes....

Perché fermarsi, solo a rallentare?

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-09-24 at 09:53 PM.