Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone using Bontrager TLR rim strip on Kinlin XR rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 02:38 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Liked 1,890 Times in 1,051 Posts

Anyone using these Bontrager tubeless rim strips on a Kinlin tubeless ready rim? Or on any non-Bontrager rim? What width did you use?

Also- how about the Caffelatex tubeless rim strip? Any experience with that good, bad or ugly?
Old 05-07-24, 04:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,272 Times in 2,851 Posts
You could probably use just about any tubeless rim tape on whatever rim you would just need to get the correct size for your rim. That is determined by the inner width of the rim.

I generally go for the Muc-off or Orange Seal tape when I am doing it but that is usually what is in stock because it is good sealant and a good product base in general. I haven't used specific rim strips but I am sure they are fine as well. I know Effettto Mariposa makes at least a good quality torque wrench as I own one and their other products seem solid. I like the idea of an olive pit based sealant which is potentially a little more earth friendly.
Old 05-07-24, 09:01 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
You could probably use just about any tubeless rim tape on whatever rim you would just need to get the correct size for your rim. That is determined by the inner width of the rim.
The Bontrager rim strips are contoured to fit the rim profile, unlike rim tape, so it's not entirely clear how it fits.

I have had enough issues with tubeless rim tape that I try to avoid that now.
Old 05-08-24, 02:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The Bontrager rim strips are contoured to fit the rim profile, unlike rim tape, so it's not entirely clear how it fits.

I have had enough issues with tubeless rim tape that I try to avoid that now.
Ahhh makes sense it is probably going to be more specific to their rims would be my best guess. Maybe someone at the local Trek store might have tried it elsewhere?

Curious what the issues were and with which tape or tapes? I have yet to see a rim tape problem except on an older fat bike but they were using duct tape and got it working just fine.
Old 05-08-24, 03:55 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ahhh makes sense it is probably going to be more specific to their rims would be my best guess. Maybe someone at the local Trek store might have tried it elsewhere?

Curious what the issues were and with which tape or tapes? I have yet to see a rim tape problem except on an older fat bike but they were using duct tape and got it working just fine.
The first wheel I taped up for my kid's MTB worked perfectly fine, first time out of the gate. The next one seemed to seal OK after a few false starts. But then a day later, while my wife was in the garage, it suddenly went phoosh and leaked all the air out. I pumped it back up and shook the sealant all over. It seemed to hold. I set it down and 5-10 minutes later, it went phoosh again and lost all the air. After that I lost all confidence in taping. I switched the kids' bikes all to Mavic UST wheels which have a closed rim bed and use no rim tape. And they have worked wonderfully well over the last 2 years. But for my own build now, I want to stick to a classic looking wheelset, so the closed-bed Mavic/ Ultegra/Dura Ace/ Easton wheels are out. I have to deal with holes all over again. That's why I am looking for tape-alternatives now.
FWIW I watched some vids on the Caffelatex tubeless rim strip, and it looks fairly foolproof. I think I'll give that one a try.
Old 05-08-24, 04:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The first wheel I taped up for my kid's MTB worked perfectly fine, first time out of the gate. The next one seemed to seal OK after a few false starts. But then a day later, while my wife was in the garage, it suddenly went phoosh and leaked all the air out. I pumped it back up and shook the sealant all over. It seemed to hold. I set it down and 5-10 minutes later, it went phoosh again and lost all the air. After that I lost all confidence in taping. I switched the kids' bikes all to Mavic UST wheels which have a closed rim bed and use no rim tape. And they have worked wonderfully well over the last 2 years. But for my own build now, I want to stick to a classic looking wheelset, so the closed-bed Mavic/ Ultegra/Dura Ace/ Easton wheels are out. I have to deal with holes all over again. That's why I am looking for tape-alternatives now.
FWIW I watched some vids on the Caffelatex tubeless rim strip, and it looks fairly foolproof. I think I'll give that one a try.
Still rather curious what tape and are we sure it leaked from the tape. I don't have photos or video so I am going by what you said but have had some tires leak usually at the bead which is close to spokes but generally not a result of tape usually a poor bead or something. Now it is wholly possible there was a tape issue I would have no real reason to doubt that but tubeless I know can be fiddly sometimes in all manners. Though the first ever tubeless set up I ever did was absolute perfection no issues at all had never done it before was solo that day just had watched videos and read stuff in the past and knew enough to not do the stupid things a lot of more recent co-workers have done to sealant on their face and all over the shop.

I would give the CL a try. I haven't really heard a lot of bad stuff about them and usually it is the usual I like a different sealant talk.
Old 05-11-24, 12:28 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Liked 318 Times in 241 Posts
Were the rims you failed to set up intended to be tubeless compatible? If not, the bead seat is likely to not be as secure. The Bontrager strips are contoured fairly specifically to fit their rim profiles, and basically change the profile of the rim to have a proper tubeless bead seat area. It'd be a bit of a crapshoot to try them on other rims.

If you have a hard time with the actual tape failing (on a tubeless compatible rim), try:
-Different brands. Stans for example works fine but it's really hard to do a good application with. Tessa tape, DT Swiss Tape, Whisky tape etc all are easier to apply well. Don't use Gorilla tape--its adhesive is too aggressive so it is very difficult to clean the rim afterwards if you want to do a clean retape, and it's porous and can accelerate corrosion of nipples.
-Really aggressively and comprehensively cleaning the rim you're taping. Try scotch brite or similar, and finish with a clean alcohol wipe.
-Making sure to focus on pressing the tape into the center channel while taping, and then going back over and making sure it's well adhered in the bead seat area as well.
-A little heat can help the tape conform and to get the adhesive to stick well.
-If all else fails--take it to a pro.