Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing 1 to 2 mm from steerer tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-24, 01:10 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 199 Posts

If you wanted to remove 1 to 2mm from a carbon fiber steerer tube how would you do it?

Would you bevel the edges down to where you wanted to end up?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 05-12-24, 01:20 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,829 Times in 880 Posts
Disk sander, not a handheld model.
Old 05-12-24, 01:28 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by nomadmax
right but what to hold the fork true to the platter?

67'er
Old 05-12-24, 01:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked 5,774 Times in 2,913 Posts
It doesn't need to be particularly true. Longer lengths are usually cut with a hacksaw, not precise.
Old 05-12-24, 01:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 2,359 Posts
Since the top of a threadless steerer doesn't need to be particularly square with the axis a simple and quick "eyeball" approach is all that's needed. One trick is to wrap a bit of masking tape around the steerer and use the upper edge as a visual guide while grinding away. Remove the tape and deburr by hand with fine emery cloth. Andy
Old 05-12-24, 02:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5943 Post(s)
Liked 2,850 Times in 1,589 Posts
As noted by others, it doesn't have to be perfect because nothing ever rests on the top and relies on it for squareness, nor is it ever seen.

However, if you're finicky, throw a hose clamp around it as a reference guide, and trim down with a file, or cut down with a hacksaw. While a bevel isn't necessary, I bevel all cuts out of habit.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-12-24, 03:05 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
We have a dedicated miter saw with a crazy fine blade and a jig to hold the fork (or seatpost) cause time is money, but a sacrificial hose clamp or old stem and a disk sander (hand held or otherwise) works well too. This is another "i gotta shoot the s***t with the mechanic for a bit" scenario, otherwise folks ***** about the rate per minute on the service. I usually tell em to get a coffee or such, and "it should be ready" when they get back...
Old 05-12-24, 03:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

One hint for those using a hacksaw to cut CF steerers.

One of the general rules of using saws counts double with CF, namely, Let the saw do the work. People have a tendency bear down when sawing, which is fine on wood, kind of OK with steel or other metals, but a definite NoNo with CF. You want a sharp blade, and want to let it do the work. Bearing down causes it to bite too hard and tear rather than make a smooth cut.

Same with a file, light but firm pressure, not force.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-13-24 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-12-24, 03:34 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by FBinNY
As noted by others, it doesn't have to be perfect because nothing ever rests on the top and relies on it for squareness, nor is it ever seen.

However, if you're finicky, throw a hose clamp around it as a reference guide, and trim down with a file, or cut down with a hacksaw. While a bevel isn't necessary, I bevel all cuts out of habit.
brilliant, hose clamp and I tend to bevel. Hose clamp, mill file, mask and goggles don’t like cf dust.
67'er
Old 05-12-24, 04:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 1,557 Times in 1,078 Posts
I would just add a 2 mm spacer, but maybe I am too risk-adverse when it comes to non-reversible changes.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-12-24, 04:35 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4585 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,138 Posts
Don't grind it. That will damage the matrix. Use a diamond saw or a well worn metal hack saw.
Old 05-12-24, 04:38 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I would just add a 2 mm spacer, but maybe I am too risk-adverse when it comes to non-reversible changes.
For that amount, I wouldn't bother either. However the OP asked how can I, not should I.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-12-24, 07:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3326 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,231 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That was my thought. Why bother for a millimeter or two.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-12-24, 07:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 2,359 Posts
The amount wanted to be removed (the reason and some of our opinions are unknown) is pretty much the cutting width of a common metal hack saw blade and much less than those carbide glued to a wire ones. So in this specific case I sort of suggested using a bench grinder or belt sander. The key, as I learned it by doing, is a fast cutting speed and a maximum grit count (fine cutting) stone/belt. The feed should be pretty slow and I have held the steerer's end against the grinder so the cutting force is tangential and the fibers support each other better. The usual time to do this is after cutting down the factory length to fit a bike and one does want to deliver the bike with a close to square and smooth top of steerer, so only minor removal is done. But taking off another mm or so should be no big deal if one doesn't use a hand held sawing tool. Andy
Old 05-13-24, 08:37 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 499 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
If you wanted to remove 1 to 2mm from a carbon fiber steerer tube how would you do it?

Would you bevel the edges down to where you wanted to end up?
I'd use one of these https://www.amazon.com/Zona-SA35-35-...dp/B0006N736A/ and just cut it as square as I could. Truthfully I wouldn't bother with 2 mm, but I do find those saws useful for precise cuts. CF pros use rotary tools with carbide grit discs for trimming, I'm not sure how useful that would be with such a fine cut.
Old 05-13-24, 12:47 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The amount wanted to be removed (the reason and some of our opinions are unknown) is pretty much the cutting width of a common metal hack saw blade and much less than those carbide glued to a wire ones. So in this specific case I sort of suggested using a bench grinder or belt sander. The key, as I learned it by doing, is a fast cutting speed and a maximum grit count (fine cutting) stone/belt. The feed should be pretty slow and I have held the steerer's end against the grinder so the cutting force is tangential and the fibers support each other better. The usual time to do this is after cutting down the factory length to fit a bike and one does want to deliver the bike with a close to square and smooth top of steerer, so only minor removal is done. But taking off another mm or so should be no big deal if one doesn't use a hand held sawing tool. Andy
The reason would be I have a custom spacer stack coming for this bike, it should work out just fine allowing me to simply replace the existing spacer stack while keeping the flush top cap.. if there is a couple mm difference from the current spacer set I want to reduce the height enough to use the stock cap. I know I could use a small spacer on top.

67'er