Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti GP5000 tire life-span: how many miles did you get?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti GP5000 tire life-span: how many miles did you get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 07:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked 4,945 Times in 3,405 Posts
My front tire looks like it will make it beyond 13,000 kilometers (8078 miles) Rear tires I'm getting. I don't swap front to rear when installing a new tire any more. That just seems like too much possibility of a flat from installation error for the little bit more traction the new tire provides.

I'm just using the basic GP5000 tubed black wall. The rear I just changed out last year with more than 5000 but less than 6000 miles (8047 - 9656km). Bad record keeping on my part, I failed to record exactly when I put it on. It could have gone further, but I had one skid patch showing threads and a organized ride coming up that I didn't want trouble on. No flats on either tire. I think I'm almost 3½ years since any flat.
Old 04-12-24, 07:57 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
You put 13 000kms on a set of premium race tires? Get outta here!
And I was out again yesterday hitting a gravel patch without issues. I really dont get how people get so little use out of these. That would really piss me off lol I mean these cost nearly as much as a car tire.
Old 04-12-24, 09:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked 4,945 Times in 3,405 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
And I was out again yesterday hitting a gravel patch without issues. I really dont get how people get so little use out of these. That would really piss me off lol I mean these cost nearly as much as a car tire.
You buy cheap car tires. Comparing top of the end bike tire to low end car tire is definitely apples and oranges.

Perhaps you also don't look for the better deals on GP5000's or bike tires in general. The same vendor may not always have the best prices. You have to search.
Old 04-12-24, 09:34 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
The general lifespan of a performance top tier race tire is 5000kms if I'm not mistaken. I'm lucky if I get 3000km out of my rear Schwalbe Pro Ones.
Old 04-12-24, 09:40 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,979 Posts
when ever i used "performance" tires, the one thing I do not expect is long-life akin to passenger tires albeit all-seasons, winter, summer compound.... Even a true summer tire I don't expect to get as many miles out of them compared to general use all-seasons.
What I do expect from the OEM regarding a performance tire that they produce are minimum miles under comprehendible criteria/details that the average consumer will understand.
An example that may or may not be accurate might be: ~1,200 miles in temps between 32F & 98F wet or dry, on solid road surfaces, within the min/max sidewall PSI rating, mounted in forward arrow rotation position, & speeds not exceeding 55MPH~
That'd probably never exist, but if it did, that'd be pretty cool & useful information imo.

In short, my expectations of a "performance" bicycle tire generally applies to "performance" automotive tires.
Old 05-14-24, 12:34 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 951 Times in 607 Posts
I'm at 4300 miles right now and the rear wear dots are almost gone.