Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Noob Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tubeless Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 04:19 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 309 Posts
As a nurse, I use saline flushes all day at work. Every so often, I will take a few empty syringes home. They happen to fit perfectly in the stem once the core is removed. I've also started to drain the sealant into some kind of container, like an old plastic food container that's been cleaned out, for reuse. Those syringes are good for drawing the sealant back up as well.

YMMV.
Old 05-13-24, 04:30 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
No secrets. Just diligence. Line up and press down thoroughly.
Totally agree. Take your time. I just did a rim a couple weeks ago. Took me over 10 minutes to get the tape put on, but I spent time making sure it was even in the center channel, tight and no wrinkles. It took a couple days to finally get the bead to lock in on the hooks, but now that it has, it only loses a couple pounds of pressure a week. I can live with that.
Old 05-13-24, 05:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Quoted: 2054 Post(s)
Liked 1,548 Times in 1,072 Posts
Not a secret per se, but I imagine it helps to use the rim tape width specified by the wheel manufacture so that no tape go up on the sidewall of the rim.
Old 05-13-24, 06:09 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 197 Posts
sometimes inserting a tube and running up to pressure helps seal the tape, or just leave the tube in and call it a day.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 05-14-24, 04:50 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
What sort of dye? I'm not familiar with automotive dye, only machinist's blue.
Fluorescent stuff to trace aircon refrigerant leaks.
Old 05-14-24, 04:58 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Sometimes it takes a couple of days for the sealant to get into all the leaky areas. I did my first tires with no sealant and after 3 days of pumping them back up, they sealed without anything. Air leaking out the first night is common, for me anyways. Spinning them a bunch helps, it's just a learning curve.
Old 05-14-24, 05:36 PM
80sKidd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've only used Stans but am ready to try another sealant just to see if I have better results. Orange Seal regular sounds like the ticket. In my experience which is 2 years and only on BMX applications, I find that taking a short ride after installation helps the sealing process. If I just install the tape, mount the wheel, fill with sealant, inflate and spin, swivel, rock and roll, it's flat by morning. If I go for a ride 10-15 minute ride, everything seems to dissipate well and it holds air much longer (days as opposed to hours). Also, make sure to use at least the recommended amount of sealant based on the manufacturer recommendations, I usually go a hair over.