Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Mondia Special - Project

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Mondia Special - Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 10:23 AM
cbbond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mondia Special - Project

Hello Forum Members:

I have an old Mondia Special Road bike frame (with Campagnolo Front & Rear dropouts).

The frame has a small dent on top tube. I'm trying to get some advice on either adding all parts to existing frame or cutting rear out dropout out of frame (for a mash-up on a custom-made frame).

Please help ‼️

P.S. I can send pictures of frame

Thanks, Casey
Old 05-14-24, 01:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,001 Times in 2,379 Posts
Given the lacking written description I think photos would go a long way to helping us understand what you're working with, parts and frames wise. A bit more on the "Mash up" (which in my youth meant a crash where the bike gets all mashed up) please. Is there something wrong with that custom made frame? Why will a drop out be needed? Have you ever done any metal welding or brazing before? So much missing for me to do more than ask for more information. Andy
Old 05-14-24, 03:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,830 Times in 2,608 Posts
Upload your picture to an album in your gallery and we can rescue them for you
Old 05-14-24, 09:17 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Liked 2,768 Times in 1,147 Posts
"Small" dent in the TT and you want to chop the frame up? Why not just ride it? I'm trying to think if I have any bikes that don't have a dent in the TT. They don't hurt the ride any.

If you want the dent gone they can be rolled out, which makes it mostly go away but not quite 100%. But then the last vestiges can be hidden with solder or painter's putty, then after paint it's like it never happened.

A Mondia is (usually) too nice to throw away for a little dent.

Also dropouts are not expensive, so it's cheaper to buy new than to pay to have them melted out and cleaned up enough for re-use. Depending on the age of the Mondia, it probably has the old long horizontal dropouts (Campy 1010) which are unfashionable now, so when you find them for sale they are often pretty cheap. Definitely cheaper than what I would charge to melt some out and clean them up.
Likes For bulgie: