Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shipping Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shipping Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 09:26 AM
Predator 007

Bikes: Trek Madone SL7-Gen7 & Trek SL6 Pro-custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Shipping Bike

I need to ship my Emonda from Ohio to FL. Any suggestions on who to use?
Old 05-13-24, 09:48 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 183 Posts
I use Bike Flights. Not cheap but they do a good job.
Old 05-13-24, 11:59 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I use Bike Flights. Not cheap but they do a good job.
Bike Fights is just books the shipment and gets the best rate but still uses FEDEX or UPS. You or a LBS still would need to pack the bike and would be in charge of obtaining the box and proper packing materials. Contrary to belief most LBS are not just giving away old cardboard bike boxes and most by me want at least $100+ just for the box and to pack the bike. You still would need to schedule a pickup time table with bike flights. While IMO Bike Flights is pretty easy to deal with you just want to make sure you are packing the bike in the way that BF's approves otherwise it will void your warranty coverage, see section 7
https://www.bikeflights.com/shippingpolicy
Old 05-13-24, 12:36 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 128 Posts
I have also used Bike Flights and was quite pleased.
Old 05-13-24, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18576 Post(s)
Liked 16,037 Times in 7,529 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I have also used Bike Flights and was quite pleased.
I used once a year between 2014 and 2017. I haven’t used them since 2019. Just haven’t had the need. By then, they had switched from FedEx to UPS. Service became slower and noticeably more expensive. Customer service also became worse over the years as they grew in popularity. For example, in 2019 their online purchase system wouldn’t accept the zip code for the REI store I had shipped the bike to about a week earlier when I was trying to purchase return shipping at a public library. It was the only place where I knew I would have sure Internet access. I had to call someone on the phone to resolve the problem.
Old 05-15-24, 08:56 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 423 Posts
After a damaged shipment and the insurance payment from Bikeflights (it's one word) I will always use them. Local framebuilder used a Bringheli frame table to straighten the frame and buyer said he actually came out ahead.
Old 05-17-24, 02:36 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
If you can disassemble and safely pack your own bike you will save money. Bike boxes are around, you just ave to look for them, they can be free I have always found one or two when it's time to ship. It's good to start with two boxes then reduce the size of your bike as much as possible and double box it. I go one step further with the box: I don't just tape all the flaps, i glue them make sure they are totally glued-solid, then I pack and tape up the box. Takes 1/2 a day...but it's my bike, I like my bike...