Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike Camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 09:47 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Bike Camera

Mods, Please move this to the appropriate forum if, A&S isn't it.

I have a GoPro Hero4. Does anyone know if I can update the firmware or, do I have to buy a new bike camera. I am not keen on the idea of having to spend $100's on a new bike camera. I haven't been on my bike during Covid. Now that things seem to be settling down, I want to get back out.

Edit: I still have the firmware concern.

I thought my batteries were bad too. To my relief, I found my battery recharger. Now, I hope the batteries recharge.

Last edited by Chistophe516; 05-11-24 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-12-24, 01:58 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 113 Posts
What is it you're needing to change with the camera? Is it not working, or that you're hoping to add functionality that would be bike-specific?
Old 05-12-24, 11:38 AM
Chistophe516

Originally Posted by retswerb
What is it you're needing to change with the camera? Is it not working, or that you're hoping to add functionality that would be bike-specific?
I figured out why batteries weren't recharging. Because the USB was not properly connected to the Dual Battery Recharger, but. I still am curious about the firmware. Also the main software for the camera.
Old 05-12-24, 01:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked 4,943 Times in 3,405 Posts
It's a old GoPro model. So you might have the most recent update that is available. And it looks like that was October 21, 2016 when that came out.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero4

Still, why do you think you need a update? Is there something it doesn't do that was preventing you from using it when cycling?

I don't use goPro's, but other members that do might be along later this evening or during the week. Weekends are a little slow during the daytime here as most members are out cycling or doing other weekend activities.
Old 05-12-24, 10:21 PM
Chistophe516

Originally Posted by Iride01
It's a old GoPro model. So you might have the most recent update that is available. And it looks like that was October 21, 2016 when that came out.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero4

Still, why do you think you need a update? Is there something it doesn't do that was preventing you from using it when cycling?

I don't use goPro's, but other members that do might be along later this evening or during the week. Weekends are a little slow during the daytime here as most members are out cycling or doing other weekend activities.
I am getting back on the bike, after an accident in February. It was the first time I had been back on the bike, since the beginning of Covid.
Old 05-13-24, 04:22 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,103 Times in 1,978 Posts
if you feel you 'just have to update' it out of your owns assumption, then maybe you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 05-13-24, 06:18 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 798 Posts
How to Update Camera Firmware in Quik for desktop (gopro.com)
Old 05-13-24, 08:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Chistophe516
I am getting back on the bike, after an accident in February. It was the first time I had been back on the bike, since the beginning of Covid.
I'm glad to know you are getting back on the bike after your accident. However I'm not certain how that answers this question.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Many brands of electronics, GPS and camera's included, only provide updates for a few years after that specific model device was introduced. So you might well have the most current update for that camera. You only need to go into the settings on the camera and see what version is on it.

Is what you really are wanting to know is what you need to do to mount the camera on your bike and use it while on the bike?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-13-24, 10:48 AM
Chistophe516

Originally Posted by Troul
if you feel you 'just have to update' it out of your owns assumption, then maybe you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
It was a safe assumption. I hadn't done it since, before the start of the pandemic. I didn't the firmware update last night.
Old 05-13-24, 11:07 AM
AxxisPowers

Bikes: CharlesraP

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it worth it for me to buy a very expensive bike camera just for personal videos, meaning to keep them for myself and my friends, not to post them?
Old 05-13-24, 11:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by AxxisPowers
Is it worth it for me to buy a very expensive bike camera just for personal videos, meaning to keep them for myself and my friends, not to post them?
Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. But if you are wanting to have discussion to here the pro's and con's of others, then you'll be moving the conversation well out of what the OP started the thread to talk about. IMO. Only if the question ask by other than the OP is pertinent to the conversation started by the OP is it considered okay.

Welcome to BF.

Posting your own question in the thread of someone else is considered hijacking the thread. So it'll always be better to start a new thread. I'm not without fault for doing the same thing in other threads. And at times I've seen the result of my question derail the whole thread for the OP and the conversation never gets back to the OP's question with satisfactory answers.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-13-24 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 02:36 PM
Chistophe516

Originally Posted by AxxisPowers
There are things, potentially far more expensive. That lack the versatility of a bike camera.
A GoPro Hero 12 on GoPro's website depending on which package you want: https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras...21-master.html

Will presently cost $400-$480+S/H, but. While Hero4 wasn't that expensive(and still works). Even the cost of the Hero12 pales in comparison to my top-of-line police scanner: https://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden.../10-501979.htm

The scanner, after MSRP + S/H, was $716.

So. Save up for a bike camera, don't boo-hoo it.
Old 05-16-24, 03:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4592 Post(s)
Liked 5,133 Times in 3,171 Posts
Is it me, or is this thread just a bit weird? 😂