Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy Record Superleggara pedals -- to SPD?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 09:40 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 429 Posts

I mused, probably a few years ago that, with so many of us going to SPD or other clipless pedals, the original pedals languish (I have a whole box of Campy "chrome" and "black" pedals no longer used) and it would be great to adapt the old pedals to the new tech; this would be more visually appealing as well.

I was shopping around, looking for some nice but affordable pedals, and ran across this: Venzo Adapter at Amazon. Hey, that's halfway there, needing only L-shaped plates to affix to the old pedals... PRESUMING the dimensions allow fitting inside the Campagnolo pedal. Alas, I cannot find anywhere to ask Venzo that exact question. Any thoughts? Short my ordering a set just to take measurements. No idea if there's a similar gadget for those that ride clipless but 3-bolt or other non-SPD fitments.

Old 05-18-24, 05:31 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked 1,426 Times in 781 Posts
On my Amazon app, if I scroll waaaay down, I get to ask a question. That might be the easiest way to connect.

Old 05-18-24, 06:06 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by smontanaro
On my Amazon app, if I scroll waaaay down, I get to ask a question. That might be the easiest way to connect.
Actually, I did do that; BTW, the questions are severely limited in the number of characters you can input. Not confident I'll get a good answer.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 05-18-24, 10:34 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,960 Posts
The adapter is designed to convert Look-type pedals to SPD-type pedals. I suspect it would take a good bit of cobbling around to make it work on your Campagnolo pedals, and an awful shame to bastardize them in that manner. Why not sell the Campagnolo pedals and use the proceeds to buy proper clipless pedals of your choice?
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-18-24, 11:17 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The adapter is designed to convert Look-type pedals to SPD-type pedals. I suspect it would take a good bit of cobbling around to make it work on your Campagnolo pedals, and an awful shame to bastardize them in that manner. Why not sell the Campagnolo pedals and use the proceeds to buy proper clipless pedals of your choice?
Agree or if you want to limit your costs, look for a trade as I would trade a set of SPD pedals for a Campy set.
Old 05-18-24, 01:07 PM
tiger1964 

All valid! My quest, if you call it that, is to incorporate modern tech (sealed bearings, lined cables, clipless pedals) with vintage aesthetics. There is some chance that, in some cases, this cannot be achieved. Tempted to order a set and see what happens.

All/most of my C&V bikes already have clipless pedals -- but, wow, do they stand out as non-C&V components!

And, once I get past restoring my friends' bikes, I need to get back to my attempt to electronically shift a Nuovo Record RD, that bike is 99.2% done...

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Originally Posted by joesch
Agree or if you want to limit your costs, look for a trade as I would trade a set of SPD pedals for a Campy set.

Old 05-18-24, 04:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
All/most of my C&V bikes already have clipless pedals -- but, wow, do they stand out as non-C&V components!
Sure, but Superleggero pedals without toeclips will also look out of place. FWIW, I still use toeclips and slotted cleats on some of my bikes. And Look/Shimano/Time/etc. clipless pedals are going on forty years old now…
Likes For JohnDThompson: