Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ceramic Hub Bearings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ceramic Hub Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 08:43 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 473 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Lighter weight and smoother. What's not to like?
Um, maybe paying a substantial price difference to get a miniscule gain that is likely not even noticeable and might not be even readily measurable?

For non-cartridge bearings (the classic "cup and cone" design), there's also potentially another issue. Ceramic bearing balls are generally harder than steel races (70-90 HRc for ceramic vs 50-70 HRc for most varieties of case hardened steel). That means the order of damage inside a non-cartridge bearing using ceramic balls now is likely to be (1st) cones, then (2nd) cups, and (3rd) bearing balls.

This potential disadvantage also exists for cartridge bearing designs using ceramic bearing balls and hardened steel inner/outer races without a ceramic race insert.

I'd personally rather replace bearing balls than cones or cups, particularly on vintage hubs. So I'll stick with grade 25 or better steel bearing balls, thanks.

Last edited by Hondo6; 05-17-24 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Add omitted word.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 05-17-24, 09:07 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,843 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Um, maybe paying a substantial price difference to get a miniscule gain that is likely not even noticeable and might not be even readily measurable?.
What do you care what I pay?

Adding up all the "unnoticeable" lighter parts has allowed me to shave two pounds off my bike.

Last edited by smd4; 05-17-24 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 09:11 AM
Hondo6

What do you care what I pay?
I don't. But you asked "What's not to like?" - so I answered that question.

No perfect solutions exist. In life, there are only trade-offs between imperfect solutions optimizing different things.

Last edited by Hondo6; 05-17-24 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-17-24, 09:13 AM
smd4

I don't. But you asked "What's not to like?" - so I answered that question.
Maybe you don't like it. I'm good with it. So--for me--there's absolutely no downside.
Old 05-17-24, 09:22 AM
Hondo6

Maybe you don't like it. I'm good with it. So--for me--there's absolutely no downside.
Do whatever you like with your bike and your $$$. Just don't complain if the decision turns out to be a bad one.
Old 05-17-24, 09:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,910 Posts
Do whatever you like with your bike and your $$$. Just don't complain if the decision turns out to be a bad one.
If we are still talking about his ceramic bearings I don't see how it could be a "bad" decision. I haven't read of them causing damage.
Old 05-17-24, 09:45 AM
smd4

There won't be any complaining because there won't be any problems.
Old 05-17-24, 09:55 AM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If we are still talking about his ceramic bearings I don't see how it could be a "bad" decision. I haven't read of them causing damage.
This thread is quite new. I have no idea - nor do I particularly care - if/when he installed ceramic bearings in his bike. I don't recall him indicating anywhere above if/when he actually installed them, and I'm not going to take the time to research older threads to find out.

However: as I recall bearing damage usually takes time to develop. And if the decision was to use ceramic bearing balls in a classic "cup and cone" bearing, IMO it could indeed turn out to be a bad decision if it causes premature failure of hard-to-find vintage replacement parts (cups/cones) through the bearing balls being harder than the races and causing premature race wear/pitting/failure.
Old 05-17-24, 10:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,910 Posts
As they say, anything's possible!
Old 05-17-24, 01:53 PM
smd4

This thread is quite new. I have no idea - nor do I particularly care - if/when he installed ceramic bearings in his bike. I don't recall him indicating anywhere above if/when he actually installed them, and I'm not going to take the time to research older threads to find out.
I installed ceramic ball bearings in my 7700 Dura Ace hubs during lockdown, four years ago. Also replaced the rear steel axle with a titanium one from an XTR hub. Cost me $100 for that thing. I hope I didn't overspend for a minimal benefit there, too!

I'll let you know when my races shatter.
Old 05-17-24, 03:55 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 402 Posts
I sell a lot of ceramic bearings, but none to people I care about...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 05-17-24, 04:40 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 421 Posts
There won't be any complaining because there won't be any problems.
Agree, w/ the light cycling loads on the bearing & balls and races are mostly damaged I suspect due to spalling and possibly some brinneling of the races which could take place in a hybrid ceramic bearing with steel races most likely due to lube contamination or lube failure and the ceramic balls would not aggravate these failures or even ameliorate. In a all ceramic bearing in cycling loading the only thing I can see affecting the bearing would be contamination of the lube.
Old 05-17-24, 04:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 997 Posts
What I wonder about is the actual application. Is this a situation where steel balls are replaced by ceramic balls? Or is it where cartridge bearings are replaced with cartridge bearings with ceramic balls? How much will it cost? How much advantage will there be? If the advantage amounts to fractions of a percent, maybe you should look elsewhere unless the conversion is very inexpensive
Old 05-18-24, 07:48 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 680 Posts
it is probably fractions of a percent in terms of lower "friction". The ceramic balls are harder, and they deform less under load. Probably about the same advantage as you'd get from high end lubrication.

Bearing speed may have something to do with it too. Years ago in the tour Franke Vandenbrouke said he could "feel the difference" with ceramic bearings in his pedals.

/markp
Old 05-20-24, 10:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
Um, maybe paying a substantial price difference to get a miniscule gain that is likely not even noticeable and might not be even readily measurable?
What do you consider a substantial price difference?

I just recently purchased a carbon wheelset. The difference in price between ceramic and no ceramic hub bearings was a whole $30. I got the ceramic bearing hubs.