Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rim/Caliper Brake bolt length

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-24, 11:18 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts

Hey all. I'm about to purchase a set of 105 BR R7000 rim brakes for my new build. I measured the frame to see how long the bolt has to be; that being the long bolt that connects the caliper to the frame (I don't know the technical name for it.) I need a bolt that is at least 2 and 1/8 in length. With that in mind, will the R7000 fit with the bolt/nut it comes with, or will I need one of those longer-length nuts? Thanks.
Old 05-16-24, 01:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2058 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Hey all. I'm about to purchase a set of 105 BR R7000 rim brakes for my new build. I measured the frame to see how long the bolt has to be; that being the long bolt that connects the caliper to the frame (I don't know the technical name for it.) I need a bolt that is at least 2 and 1/8 in length. With that in mind, will the R7000 fit with the bolt/nut it comes with, or will I need one of those longer-length nuts? Thanks.
Are you talking about (A) the front brake, which would be mounted on the fork, or (B) the rear brake, which would usually be mounted on a bridge across the seat stays, except for (C) on some TT frames, the rear brakes are mounted under the bottom bracket?

A comes with a long bolt, B comes with a short bolt, and I don't know about C.
Old 05-17-24, 09:11 AM
ArgoMan

Thanks. I only measured the front. So, I reference the front rim brake, which mounts to the upper fork. The bolt has to be at least 2 1/8 inches long to pass completely through the fork. I'm building out a 2014 Cannondale Slice frame. I suppose just about any modern rim caliper should fit.
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 05-17-24, 10:02 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
The only time I've had to juggle brake bolt lengths was on vintage nutted brakes. I'd be very surprised if you need to do any of that when installing modern brakes on a modern frame.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-17-24, 10:11 AM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
The only time I've had to juggle brake bolt lengths was on vintage nutted brakes. I'd be very surprised if you need to do any of that when installing modern brakes on a modern frame.
thanks! That was my thought. Just wanted to be sure. On a related note, do you know if the older Dura Ace 7700/7800 accommodate 28mm tires?
Old 05-17-24, 10:17 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
thanks! That was my thought. Just wanted to be sure. On a related note, do you know if the older Dura Ace 7700/7800 accommodate 28mm tires?
As long as the frame doesn't mount the calipers in a goofy place relative to the axles, I would expect so. They have a reach of 39-49mm, the same as a few other Shimano brakes in my collection, and 28mm is about the smallest 700C tire I'm willing to use.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...117&AbsPos=486
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498