Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do these brake cables work?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 02:24 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 90 Posts

Hello. I have this Specialized Rockhopper I picked up. I do not recall how the rear brake cable fitted through this rear guide prior to going to the rear cantilever brakes. Should there be another cable stop in here somewhere? Thank you.

Old 05-17-24, 05:04 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 532 Posts
Nope, you’ve got it right. Some people will put a length of plastic housing liner through that guide but it’s not necessary.
Old 05-17-24, 05:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5990 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,622 Posts
Yes, you have it. The only fulcrum (cable stop) is at the front of the top tube. Then the bare wire runs through the noodle and on to the canti cable hanger. On this setup the frame itself does the job of the housing.

Note, it won't work this way with V or caliper brakes. For those you'll want to fit housing from noodle to brake, probably with a ferrule on the lower end of the noodle.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-17-24 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-18-24, 05:30 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Thank you, I see now, And I do have the plastic liner thingy to go with it. Thank you.