Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dropbar ebike for commuting?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dropbar ebike for commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 10:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4824 Post(s)
Liked 1,558 Times in 1,022 Posts
People read the word commuting, and immediate assumption is it includes cities and traffic. It doesn't have to though.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-19-24, 11:03 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked 3,231 Times in 1,845 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Help me understand the bias against carbon drop bar e-bikes. Drop bar bikes are usually ridden on city streets or gravel. My drop bar carbon non-e-bike has taken some pretty good hits on pot holes with no issues - other than tweaking a rim.

A good friend of mine bought a Trek carbon e-bike for running errands and loves his.
I understand the bias in favor of drop bars for U.S. riders of a certain age (including myself) who grew up with them. But if the topic is what style of bars most commuters (i.e., those who aren't prejudiced in favor of drops) are likely to prefer, look at Europe and Asia, where commuting by bike was, and in many places still is, a way of life. Drop bars are conspicuously absent.

Last edited by Trakhak; 05-19-24 at 05:35 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-19-24, 12:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11104 Post(s)
Liked 7,712 Times in 4,293 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Help me understand the bias against carbon drop bar e-bikes. Drop bar bikes are usually ridden on city streets or gravel. My drop bar carbon non-e-bike has taken some pretty good hits on pot holes with no issues - other than tweaking a rim.

A good friend of mine bought a Trek carbon e-bike for running errands and loves his.

if you are asking me to help you understand why I didn't include carbon in my initial post, it's because the matetial typically increases cost by a good bit.
I just don't see a lot of carbon bikes used as someone's commuter...and I think it's durtoba mix of cost and durability(perceived or real, doesn't matter).
I also don't see many bikes that I can identify as 'conmuter' bikes, that cost $10,000.

Maybe that's due to where I live, and $10k commuter bikes are common elsewhere?
Old 05-19-24, 05:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7740 Post(s)
Liked 3,691 Times in 1,943 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
if you are asking me to help you understand why I didn't include carbon in my initial post, it's because the matetial typically increases cost by a good bit.
I just don't see a lot of carbon bikes used as someone's commuter...and I think it's durtoba mix of cost and durability(perceived or real, doesn't matter).
I also don't see many bikes that I can identify as 'conmuter' bikes, that cost $10,000.

Maybe that's due to where I live, and $10k commuter bikes are common elsewhere?
Well, this is again the sort of detail that helps answer the question.

I wouldn't commute on a very expensive bike (which I know means different things to different people) because ... well, first, wear and tear---and security---both fo which are amplified concerns when the dollar value is high.

If it is a commute where nothing ever goes wrong---little traffic, good pavement, and so forth---then it would not be like most of my commutes. Also, commuter bikes (in my experience) tend to get banged around, what with loading panniers, taking everything apart for roadside maintenance, and all that. Further, if I could not park my bike indoors in a locked enclosure which had limited access I wouldn't want an expensive commuter ..... most of the time I ended up locking my bike somewhere outside the job site where I hoped it would still be when I clocked out .... but if it was a $10K bike ... no way.

Jim_from_Boston used to ride a really sweet carbon Trek (I think) which cost about $7K back when that was more than $10K, but the bike was never in an insecure location (I guess up in Mass people actually accommodate cycle-commuters.) Even when I commuted with nice bikes, they were never That nice just because it is the nature of things that they cannot be kept secure, and are going to do work.

Another issue with CF is how much gear you need .... not a lot of CF bikes are designed for panniers, and some gear won't fit in frame bags.

When I picked my work bike, I went Al frame just for the added freedom ... if someone bumps it and knocks it over (even locked, it might be able to slide or swing and grind on something) or whatever ... and I wouldn't commute on it anyway, because I wouldn't want to leave it for eight hours in some obscure but not secure location ..... I am actually building a new cheap bike just to go to the gym in case I do long workouts. (I know the bike can be stolen just as easily in a five-minute trip through the grocery tore or hardware store, as in any longer amount of time ... but as I have said elsewhere, all security is mental security anyway ... I do what I need to to have peace of mind. It has nothing to do with whether the bike is there when I get back.)

if you can afford it, and all your security and load-bearing needs/desires are met by a CF bike .... why not?

In any case the real answer is---the bike you want is out there and you will probably find it.
Old 05-19-24, 07:13 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 204 Posts
One hundred years of history, and I don't recall any gas powered motorcycles or mopeds with drop bars.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 05-19-24, 07:24 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 813 Posts
Get a mid-drive conversion kit. Or even cheaper and simpler, a front wheel hub drive conversion kit.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-20-24, 12:27 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
One hundred years of history, and I don't recall any gas powered motorcycles or mopeds with drop bars.
Oh many motorcycles have drops alright. They just don't have tops or hoods.
Old 05-20-24, 01:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11104 Post(s)
Liked 7,712 Times in 4,293 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
good point?**
Old 05-20-24, 01:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6393 Post(s)
Liked 4,991 Times in 3,436 Posts
Maybe not the typical drops we use on a road bike.

https://www.google.com/search?sca_es...M&vssid=mosaic