Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Diamond Back Wildwood

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Diamond Back Wildwood

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 12:21 PM
keatonwiese

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diamond Back Wildwood

Hey everyone I have an older model DiamondBack Wildwood My chain is drooping a bit it has a nice shimano derailer. I was wondering is anyone knows the general lifespan of a shimano derailer
Old 05-22-24, 01:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6387 Post(s)
Liked 4,982 Times in 3,430 Posts
Generally longer than I'd want to keep the bike. But if it's been banged up, abused or otherwise in general, your attention to the bikes needs a little lacking, then sure, they'll go bad faster. Shimano makes a slew of derailleurs. So there are some that are considered very low end and cheap. So those might be more prone to failure if just slightly abused.

How old is it? Have you ever put a new chain on it. If so, was it's sized correctly?

Welcome to BF
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-22-24, 04:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
Originally Posted by keatonwiese
Hey everyone I have an older model DiamondBack Wildwood My chain is drooping a bit it has a nice shimano derailer. I was wondering is anyone knows the general lifespan of a shimano derailer
More than likely it is the bottom or near the bottom of Shimano's range for bikes like that but a droopy chain could simply mean a worn out chain that needs to be replaced or it was sized incorrectly or both. If it truly is the derailleur it could have had some abuse to it at some point maybe an impact or poor set up or something is just worn out on it which takes some time riding to do.

I would probably take it to your local shop and they can take a look at it and my guess is probably a bunch of new wear parts that are needed and probably a tune up.
Old 05-23-24, 10:44 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 372 Posts
Very unlikely that the springs in the derailleur have "worn out." Much more likely that your bike needs a serious cleaning and lubrication plus a check of chain wear (more that 1/16" or at most 1/8" elongation in 24 links, which is 12" original length). The lifespan of any component depends on total miles, maintenance, and riding conditions. If your bike has sat in the garage and gotten a couple hundred miles per year, there's no way things are worn out. You've not provided any relevant information.
Old 05-23-24, 02:05 PM
keatonwiese

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry for not providing information but I am new to the forums.
Old 05-23-24, 03:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7738 Post(s)
Liked 3,675 Times in 1,940 Posts
All is well. People here can be difficult sometimes, but mostly we all want to help.

Stuff like the age and mileage of the bike, the age fo the chain, the model of derailleur, the year of the bike even ... can be helpful.

Is the bike new to you or have you had it a while or since new?

This one belongs to a friend ...

He thinks it is a great bike.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-25-24, 03:28 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 372 Posts
How many miles on the chain? Are things cleaned and lubed? How much has the chain elongated? What brand and model of derailleur?
Old 05-26-24, 11:26 AM
keatonwiese

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
How many miles on the chain? Are things cleaned and lubed? How much has the chain elongated? What brand and model of derailleur?

I don't know how many miles are on the chain I got it from a friend It has plenty of lube and everything is clean. My other friend who is a bike person said the chain might be stretched if that is the case would that explain why the chain pops and slips when it is in back 7 front 3
Likes For keatonwiese:
Old 05-26-24, 01:48 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,581 Times in 945 Posts
That sounds very much like it. Fortunately chains aren't that expensive. They're commonly classed as "consumables", like cables, tires, and tubes, as they eventually wear out with normal use, unlike, say, the frame or handlebars.

Welcome to Bike Forums; please read some threads, ask questions, admire others' bikes, and after 10 posts over two days (to weed out spammers) you can post photos of your sturdy steel street steed; we'd love to see it. You can learn a lot here, and make some great friends. Also check out "Community Connections" under the "Forums" drop down menu; there might be other BF members in your area.

I don't know how many miles are on the chain I got it from a friend It has plenty of lube and everything is clean. My other friend who is a bike person said the chain might be stretched if that is the case would that explain why the chain pops and slips when it is in back 7 front 3
Old 05-26-24, 01:52 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,581 Times in 945 Posts
It is a great bike! It takes him where he wants to go and looks good doing it. Also, clever rack hack.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
This one belongs to a friend ...

He thinks it is a great bike.