Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji feels slow

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fuji feels slow

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 09:58 PM
Bicicletta89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Fuji feels slow

I bought a ‘79 Fuji Gran Tourer in 2020. It’s feeling significantly slower the last year or so. I can hear some clinking sounds when I turn the cranks with the chain off. Guessing I need a new bottom bracket? Would getting new drivetrain components like chainrings or freewheel or derailleur help? I love the bike but yeah it feels heavier than it used to. Am I just being stubborn and nostalgic in sticking to an old steel bike?
btw I don’t need it to be super fast. I’m not racing. I use it for transportation, exercise and recreation. Still, I’d like it not to be quite so much effort. Appreciate any advice. Thanks
Likes For Bicicletta89:
Old 05-21-24, 11:19 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 236 Posts
The frame isn't the limitation, it's probably everywhere that relies on grease or oil: the bottom bracket, wheel hubs, headset, and more. Tires might help.

If you're willing to swap out or service some parts you can make it a lot more efficient, quiet, and retain a lot of the character of the original bike.

Could also be in need of a basic tune up. Is there a coop nearby?
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 05-22-24, 04:21 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
I'm feeling a bit slower than the last couple of years myself. In my case, I'm very sure it isn't the bike

But based on what you briefly describe, it does sound like some basic maintenance is in order. Worn chainring/freewheel teeth? Stretched chain? Greased BB bearings, headset, etc.? Loose connections?

We don't know the maintenance history of this bike but generally speaking: a 45 year old bike needs some love every once in a while. If you give it, the bike will give it back to you multiple times over.
Likes For HMJ:
Old 05-22-24, 10:00 AM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, Eastern Alpaka 29er

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Have you spun the cranks without the chain in the past and did not notice the clicking? Or is this the first time due to the slow feeling? How old is your chain? When you lift the wheels off the ground and spin them do they seem to spin freely? How old are your tires? Have you checked your PSI recently? When is the last time the bike was serviced? How mechanically adept are you?
If this was me and my bike and I heard a new noise coming from my bottom bracket I would pull my cranks, remove the BB and start checking for things that are out of the ordinary...I relish the thought of pulling things apart and putting them back together though.. If you dont see anything crazy when you get inside,You may just need some grease in the places that bikes like grease. If the chain is old, take this time to replace it.
if you are not comfortable ripping your bike apart and replacing or lubricating things, a bike shop will do it.
Old 05-23-24, 04:45 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 963 Posts
Lift the bike and spin the wheels, checking to ensure that neither is rubbing brake pads or even stay or fork tubing. Wheels can go out of true or even be installed off center. Proper maintenance is, as others have mentioned, the secret to a quiet, smooth, fast road worthy and safe to ride bike.