Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which Gear Ratio is Better?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which Gear Ratio is Better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 02:37 PM
prj71

Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I am trying to figure out my gearing as well. I built up a gravel bike with SRAM and currently using 30-43 chainrings and a 11-34 cassette (12s). My only issue is when on the road I sometimes running out of gears on the top end and on the hills I rarely use the small ring. On ANY sort of downhill I ALWAYS run out of gears and end up spinning wildly just to do 35-40 mph. I have a 34-46 crank ordered so hopefully that will be the sweet spot. FWIW most of my other bikes are vintage with much taller gearing but I am getting older and need to make the hills more enjoyable.
My gravel bike is 48/32 chainring and 11-34 cassette. Seems to cover the spectrum pretty well. Low enough gearing for the hills and high enough gearing for me to maintain 22-25 mph+ on the paved and flat gravel sections.
Old 05-23-24, 09:49 PM
M.Roshi

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
My best guess would be yes. There are many discussions regarding the 16T cog and the preference for having single tooth caps up to the 17T cog. Mathematically, a two-teeth gap between the 15T and 17T cogs is a much bigger change than a two-teeth change from a 52T chain ring to a 50T chain ring. Why don't you try riding without using the 16T cog and see if you can deal with that?
Did a ride, and damn I kept gravitating toward the 16T cog whether I'm on the big or middle chainring. So 15-16-17 are my sweet spot. Thanks for pointing this out!
Likes For M.Roshi:
Old 05-23-24, 10:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,575 Times in 1,090 Posts
Originally Posted by M.Roshi
Did a ride, and damn I kept gravitating toward the 16T cog whether I'm on the big or middle chainring. So 15-16-17 are my sweet spot. Thanks for pointing this out!
Yeah. Think of the 16T cog as the fourth gear in a 6MT; while you could theoretically drive without it, acceleration would not be smooth or fast.
Old 05-23-24, 10:44 PM
Duragrouch

Liked 593 Times in 479 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I am trying to figure out my gearing as well. I built up a gravel bike with SRAM and currently using 30-43 chainrings and a 11-34 cassette (12s). My only issue is when on the road I sometimes running out of gears on the top end and on the hills I rarely use the small ring. On ANY sort of downhill I ALWAYS run out of gears and end up spinning wildly just to do 35-40 mph. I have a 34-46 crank ordered so hopefully that will be the sweet spot. FWIW most of my other bikes are vintage with much taller gearing but I am getting older and need to make the hills more enjoyable.
Why go just a 12 or 13 tooth jump on the crank? 16T is the defacto standard now and shifts well, 50/34 is very common, as well as 52/36. Both are common on a 110mm BCD. Smaller than 34 and you'll need a smaller BCD on the inner ring. These are all available in square taper cranks, but also hollow-spindle 2-piece crank with external BB bearings (similar to shimano hollowtech II), that's my personal preference, love the system. Needs to be correct length for your BB shell, 68 (typical road) or 73 (typical mountain).

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-23-24 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-24-24, 02:22 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Liked 259 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Why go just a 12 or 13 tooth jump on the crank? 16T is the defacto standard now and shifts well, 50/34 is very common, as well as 52/36. Both are common on a 110mm BCD. Smaller than 34 and you'll need a smaller BCD on the inner ring. These are all available in square taper cranks, but also hollow-spindle 2-piece crank with external BB bearings (similar to shimano hollowtech II), that's my personal preference, love the system. Needs to be correct length for your BB shell, 68 (typical road) or 73 (typical mountain).
Thanks for the advice but I am stuck using SRAM cranksets. This bike has a t47 bb with a 86mm shell SRAM DUB AXS system 11-34 12 speed cassette and currently 30-43 crank. I am happy with the 30t on the 10% (very short) grades I am climbing BUT the 43 tooth is fine for every other hill. Added to that with the slight change I should be into the cassette where the cogs are the closest together. I can get 48/35 rings for my crank (107 bcd) but I wanted to keep gearing better that 1:1. I can mostly do the climb on a classic with 50-43 and 28t cog but I am shot for doing anything else for the rest of the day LOL.

FWIW the pic shows about the worst hill in the area where a couple sections are ~ 10% and I need to bail out with the 30t chainring,. Sorry about the file size, I wasn't sure how to make it smaller.
Old 05-24-24, 05:24 PM
HectorStorm

Liked 73 Times in 28 Posts
Lower than 0.9:1. Or I won't be going uphill.
Old 05-25-24, 01:28 AM
M.Roshi

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like 12-27T 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27 would be perfect, this cassette ratio seems kinda uncommon.