Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tires and tubes for a 1994 Trek Multi-Track 730

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 02:09 AM
Anovice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My brother gave me is old Trek bike and I need to get new tires and I assume tubes. I understand that the OEM tire size is 700 x 35mm. I will be only riding about 50 miles per week (maximum) and 100% will be city streets. Since I will not be going off road, a friend said that I do not need a hybrid tire and can go with a less aggressive road tire. He thought a 32mm tire might be appropriate. I also read something about R1 and R2, having something to do with tread design and puncture resistance.

I have a few questions:
  1. What size tires?
  2. Tubes? Do they come with valve stems?
  3. What brand?
  4. Where can I order the tires and tubes online?

If I missed something or if you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you.

Anovice
Old 05-23-24, 04:55 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Liked 478 Times in 276 Posts
Welcome! You been given great bike. The Multitacks are versatile bikes with the 730/750 being a full CroMo frame. I just rebuild a 730 I found at the curb and while being a bit small, it has quickly become one of my favorite rides. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...n-wettrek.html if you are curious. Also, here is a giant Multitrack thread from the Hybrid forum: https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...ultitrack.html

So as for tires, there are multiple things to consider for your multitrack.
1. Tire size - Multitracks have ample space to allow for larger tires. I am running 700x35C because that I what I had leftover from another bike I upgraded. 700x38c is popular for more comfort and 700x42C gains even more. If I were to replace the current tires, I'd go larger than 700x35C

2. Type of Tire - This is another hotly debated subject and I have spent hours reading up on options. Some prioritize puncture resistance and will go with a heavier/more durable tire at the cost of comfort and ride feel - Schwalbe Marathon line embodies this approach and this is where I tend to find myself. Others focus on less rolling resistance, more comfortable ride, and more ride feel at the risk of less durability. This crowd leans towards gravel tires that are intended for multi surfaces and there are many brands to choose from. Panaracer Gravel King and variants are popular but a search for 700c gravel tires will give you a bunch of options.

3. Tubes - those will include the stem and 700 size will likely have the presta valve instead of a schrader.

4. Where to get tires/tubes? Lots of options and anyone that posts will make suggestions. Amazon and eBay are popular along with other major online retailers. Do your research, find a reputable vendor, and you'll be fine.
Old 05-23-24, 07:25 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Liked 476 Times in 281 Posts
Go to a bike shop...repeat the post to them...they will install tires/tubes suitable for your needs...ride and enjoy...to do otherwise, considering your lack of knowledge, skill, experience, etc., will lead to frustration and a lot more cost and aggravation in the long run.
Or do as you want...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 05-23-24, 07:33 AM
bboy314

Liked 1,058 Times in 538 Posts
Another option - buy the tires at a bike shop, watch some tutorials and install them yourself. If you feel you’re paying more than you would online, consider it the very reasonable price of having someone with real know-how help you figure out exactly what you need, and stand behind what they sell.

There are thousands of choices for tires to fit a hybrid bike, so you could spend countless hours speculating with people on the internet, or go talk to someone who does this for a living and will have real, practical advice and options.
Old 05-23-24, 08:57 AM
ScottCommutes

Liked 316 Times in 204 Posts
Agree with the above. Nice to save some $$$ reading forums, but in this case the risk/reward isn't there. The bike shop will hook you up with decent tires and whatever else you might need.

If you keep biking, you will eventually learn how to do this repair in 15 minutes.
Old 05-23-24, 09:00 AM
ScottCommutes

Liked 316 Times in 204 Posts
Also consider that bike shops don't make a killing for themselves and it is always good to support and make friends with your local shop
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 05-24-24, 05:32 AM
Anovice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Go to a bike shop...repeat the post to them...they will install tires/tubes suitable for your needs...ride and enjoy...to do otherwise, considering your lack of knowledge, skill, experience, etc., will lead to frustration and a lot more cost and aggravation in the long run.
Or do as you want...
I was trying to support a local bike shop that was very recently opened by immigrants. At the moment, they only do maintenance and repairs. They only sell a service.
Old 05-24-24, 05:49 AM
soyabean

Liked 434 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Anovice
Where can I order the tires and tubes online?
When someone is asking this many questions about tyres, my suggestion is you DON'T do this and find a LBS that can sell you everything you need, and do the entire install for you if you choose it.

Simply putting on any brand new tyres and tubes will restore this bike to be enjoyed for years to come.

You inherited a dumpster find and although it is a fantastic solid quality bike, that bike is an old tank where nothing you do to it will make it lighter or worth more than $50.

Just get this over with and get it fixed. The LBS will get you going by the time it takes for you to go to them.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-24-24, 08:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Likely your existing tubes are just fine