Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 08:24 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 984 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
I have an honest question; please hold back on any ridicule! What is the purpose, are the purposes, of a 650B conversion? My 27" bikes worked fine and my 700c bikes worked fine.
***All conversation stops, room gets quiet***

Ha! Just kidding.
The gist of it is more tire volume helps with a smoother ride over rougher terrain. Because of various geometry limitations of individual bike frame construction, the maximum tire diameter and width is restricted by some limitation. IOW bigger volume tires just won't fit in the frame. Besides, bigger tires would raise the whole bike up too high off the ground and have all sorts of knock-on effects with regard to the bikes handeling characteristics.

The solution is often smaller rims and taller tires so that the tire circumference the bike was designed around remains preserved, but the tire volume is increased.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-24-24, 08:51 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
***All conversation stops, room gets quiet***

Ha! Just kidding.
The gist of it is more tire volume helps with a smoother ride over rougher terrain. Because of various geometry limitations of individual bike frame construction, the maximum tire diameter and width is restricted by some limitation. IOW bigger volume tires just won't fit in the frame. Besides, bigger tires would raise the whole bike up too high off the ground and have all sorts of knock-on effects with regard to the bikes handeling characteristics.

The solution is often smaller rims and taller tires so that the tire circumference the bike was designed around remains preserved, but the tire volume is increased.
Thank you very much for the clear explanation! I think the main concerns would then be brake reach and tire availability. That's again!
Old 05-24-24, 09:52 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1307 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 5,989 Times in 2,333 Posts
Thank you very much for the clear explanation! I think the main concerns would then be brake reach and tire availability. That's again!
And to give you some numbers, a 650b x 42mm tire diameter is just a bit less than a 700c x 25mm tire. If you approximate the tire cross section as a circle, and remembering "pie are squared" from high school math, you get nearly 3X the air volume between you and the road. The road buzz from chip seal goes away, well packed gravel feels like asphalt, and loose gravel becomes rideable. Modern wide, light, supple tires ride very nicely compared to the heavy "balloon" tires of my youth.
Old 05-24-24, 10:22 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 783 Posts
LOTS of 650b tires (currently...) available, as the size has become fairly popular in the 'gravel' world. For vintage retro-fits you've got Mafac Raids, Weinmann Vainqueur (and their DC copies) and Tektro 559 brakes. Rim-brake rims are probably the real limiting factor, though Velo Orange and others produce them.

Also, as yet unmentioned, 650B conversions allow old fogies with aging/less absorptive joints to continue to ride the racy dream-bikes of their youths on disintegrating roads of our crumbling infrastructure (at least in the US....).

Last edited by ehcoplex; 05-24-24 at 10:26 AM.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 05-24-24, 12:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7414 Post(s)
Liked 2,615 Times in 1,524 Posts
@Bianchi84, when your bike has rim brakes, you usually need to change the calipers to accommodate 650b wheels. It's possible, in some conversions, to do it with no changes other than brake calipers.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-24-24, 02:13 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked 2,753 Times in 1,144 Posts
I have an honest question; please hold back on any ridicule! What is the purpose, are the purposes, of a 650B conversion? My 27" bikes worked fine and my 700c bikes worked fine.
Almost always the reason is to fit fatter tires. Bikes made for 700c and short-reach brakes are a good choice because with 650b, long-reach brakes can bolt right on to reach the rim at its new lower position.

If you don't mind the bone-jarring ride of the high-pressure tires on your bike currently, if you don't mind denting your rims on pot-holes and not being able to ride off-road much, then you have no reason to upgrade.

But for me, 32 mm tires are just too limiting, I need 38 minimum preferably 48 mm. The comfort safety and reliability improvements are huge and cost you nothing in terms of speed, if you buy high-quality supple tires.
Old 05-24-24, 04:22 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 494 Posts
My first fender installation was on a ‘79 710. It probably took two hours per fender. And I have added a spring thing to make removing the wheel easier.

The link to the fender blog is probably the best one I’ve seen, and I’ve read Jan’s Honjo install with Peter Weigle in BQ as well.

I had to dimple the fender to get it between the fork legs. I had to simple it to snug it up to the fork. I have also used a recessed brake nut mates to the Daruma for extra clearance under the fork - it requires a bigger hole, but since you’re drilling your own anyway, not an issue. Eliminates the female connector to the Daruma and fender bolt. I used a longer brake nut one time for a bigger gap between fork and fender to maintain good lines.

wish I had photos, but I’m taking off in a plane. Check my bike links in my sig for some photos - desktop mode.

Lovely bike and great work so far!!
Old 05-25-24, 05:58 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
…Loaded with a thermos and cycling clothes and lunch, I rode no-hands for a bit and the bike started to shimmy. Shimmy, forsooth! Other than that, a lovely ride, but come on...

I'm finding that my "real" touring bikes are my best riders. Never a shimmy there…
You have the dreaded shimmy! Most of my large, flexy frames have it, including my 710. Usually it’s not an issue until descending at speed (also known as speed wobble). Riding no hands and bumping the stem laterally is the classic way to check for it - but you didn’t even need to bump the stem.

I got a roller bearing headset that dampens it so I can usually ride no handed even with a front bag, but it’s still there. I just learned to descend with a knee on the top tube. It’s not the right kind of thrilling to be bombing down a mountain on an inky black night with a rock wall on your right, a cliff on your left and only an Edelux II for light when your bike tries to buck you off. (It’s not just two teenage daughters that caused me to go gray before I’m 50!)

Boy, we thoroughly highjacked this thread like we’re a bunch of iBOB’s…