Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fluid Film

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 10:19 AM
larrypac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fluid Film

Has anyone besides me used Fluid Film for lubricating chains and other bike parts? One of the uses it is recommended for is motorcycle chains so i saw no reason not to use it on my bike chains and any other moving parts. It's a relatively non toxic lube, I assume, since it is primarily lanolin. It must have some sort of a carrying agent but I think it is proprietary and not listed on the can. I keep a small tupperware containe of it with a solder brush in my shop and in the garage and almost anytime i need a lubricant, I reach for it.
Old 05-24-24, 02:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,281 Times in 2,856 Posts
No I would generally just use a bicycle chain lube it is designed for the purpose and not super expensive. I guess if I desperate and had only some other thing and no bicycle lubricant but that hasn't been a problem for me. The taking of the lanolin from sheep is toxic to the sheep, they would prefer to be left alone just as you or I would.
Old 05-24-24, 02:24 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,108 Times in 1,876 Posts
I use bike oil on my bike.
Old 05-24-24, 03:27 PM
larrypac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine how shearing could be toxic.

"The taking of the lanolin from sheep is toxic to the sheep"
Old 05-24-24, 03:44 PM
TiHabanero

Liked 1,394 Times in 733 Posts
Yes, I use it on car door hinges and bicycle chains. My experience is that on a bicycle chain it creates a mess, but it does work. On the car door hinges it works well, but is has a short life and needs to be reapplied more often than good ol' grease. I have used it on one of our interior door hinge pins, and it lasts a long time, as in 2 years before reapplication.
Old 05-24-24, 03:47 PM
Trakhak

Liked 3,270 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by larrypac

It was a typical contribution.

Quick search result:

"No, the process of extracting lanolin from sheep after shearing does not harm the sheep. Lanolin is an oil secreted from a sheep's skin that's trapped in its wool, and it helps protect the sheep from extreme environments. To extract lanolin, the wool is washed in hot water and detergent to remove dirt and grease, then the lanolin is separated from other chemicals and debris using a centrifuge machine."
Old 05-24-24, 03:53 PM
soyabean

Liked 436 Times in 287 Posts
It's also water soluble, meaning, it washes away eventually with plenty of water or with simple dish soap.

But hey, if they say what it can do, then surely it does what they say!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fluid-film.jpg (48.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-24-24, 04:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
I use it on my snow plow and snow blower
Old 05-24-24, 04:54 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Liked 1,747 Times in 994 Posts
Oh, how the art of humor is so lost in the age of the Internet.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-24-24, 05:54 PM
Crankycrank

Liked 1,125 Times in 777 Posts
Can't give an informed answer on Fluid Film specifically but motorcycle chains and bike chains are two very different animals. Motorcycle O-Ring chains (which are sold on almost all motorcycles these days) have an O-Ring between the sideplates and a long wearing grease is trapped between them inside the rollers/pins. The chain is not designed to flex sideways or allow anything to get passed the O-Rings. When the grease wears out from regular use and heat the chain is done for, no lube superficially applied can get past the O-Rings. Applying lube on this type of chain is for outer roller contact and some rust prevention only. No lube on the outer rollers creates lots of heat which prematurely breaks down the inner grease and motorcycle lube is usually designed to not fling off at high speeds or break down with heat but doesn't need to be penetrating. Bike chains need a penetrating type lube (which most bike specific lubes are including waxes) and don't need heat protection. You can use almost anything to lube a bike chain as long as it can penetrate and has lubrication qualities.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-24-24, 06:57 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Oh, how the art of humor is so lost in the age of the Internet.
Kids these days...

...Are still funny. Old farts like us who treat text like speech tend to have a bit of trouble with it, though
Old 05-24-24, 07:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Trakhak
It was a typical contribution.

Quick search result:

"No, the process of extracting lanolin from sheep after shearing does not harm the sheep. Lanolin is an oil secreted from a sheep's skin that's trapped in its wool, and it helps protect the sheep from extreme environments. To extract lanolin, the wool is washed in hot water and detergent to remove dirt and grease, then the lanolin is separated from other chemicals and debris using a centrifuge machine."

I mean harmful to sheep as the shearing can very much harm sheep and does frequently. I know the companies that use wool would love to paint a much different picture that is the case for any industry wanting to use products taken from others or using labor from others that is not good. Our child labor is really good for the children because it teaches them...

However getting to deep into the topic will lead astray but yes caring for others not a bad thing.

Just use a standard chain lube.
Old 05-24-24, 09:01 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Liked 1,747 Times in 994 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Kids these days...

...Are still funny. Old farts like us who treat text like speech tend to have a bit of trouble with it, though
Well, there is the odd chance that he is serious. In which case, that in and of itself is pretty funny.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-25-24, 05:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,936 Times in 2,993 Posts
I've used it on the underside of my truck and as an alternative to Framesaver in steel frames. I think it would be too messy for chains.
Old 05-25-24, 09:22 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I mean harmful to sheep as the shearing can very much harm sheep and does frequently.
I’m irreparably harmed every time I get a haircut or shave.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-25-24, 01:06 PM
streetsurfer

Liked 297 Times in 157 Posts
FF, mixed with a small amount of Ballistol (about 4:1), yes.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 05-25-24 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-25-24, 01:57 PM
larrypac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsurfer
FF, mixed with a small amount of Ballistol (about 4:1), yes.
Never heard of ballistol but seems to be a brand, not a specific product.
Old 05-25-24, 03:55 PM
smd4

Ballistol is used a lot in the black powder hobby. Pretty good oil if you don’t mind the smell.
Old 05-25-24, 04:42 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Liked 223 Times in 114 Posts
I mean harmful to sheep as the shearing can very much harm sheep and does frequently. I know the companies that use wool would love to paint a much different picture that is the case for any industry wanting to use products taken from others or using labor from others that is not good. Our child labor is really good for the children because it teaches them...

However getting to deep into the topic will lead astray but yes caring for others not a bad thing.

I think I understand your perspective, and it's consistent with your username. Personally though I much prefer the *idea* of using a renewable product that is gathered from sheared wool than using something formulated from petroleum byproducts as most lubes are, with the associated environmental problems and regular human rights violations which are extensive throughout that industry.

Having said that, I use the Bananaslip Tungsten All-weather lube with unknown (to me) ingredients and unknown problematic processes / impact. It works well, and my consumption is small enough that I consider it an acceptable impact.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 05-26-24, 02:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by retswerb
I think I understand your perspective, and it's consistent with your username. Personally though I much prefer the *idea* of using a renewable product that is gathered from sheared wool than using something formulated from petroleum byproducts as most lubes are, with the associated environmental problems and regular human rights violations which are extensive throughout that industry.

Having said that, I use the Bananaslip Tungsten All-weather lube with unknown (to me) ingredients and unknown problematic processes / impact. It works well, and my consumption is small enough that I consider it an acceptable impact.
I see that to a point but there are other ways to lube. Renewable is good but avoiding harm to others is ideal.

I am curious to look into that BananaSlip.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-27-24, 03:42 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Liked 49 Times in 38 Posts

Domestic sheep are far different from wild sheep. For good or bad the sheep that we use for wool have been bred over some hundreds of years until they now continue to grow their coats until they become overgrown and disabled if not shorn at regular intervals. I'm sure the sheep are nicked a little here and there but as for any sort of harm that reduces their life spans I feel like you're the one that is mis-informed.

As for Fluid Film I use it for a few things. It's particularly nice on metal that sees a lot of skin contact since the FF seems to last longer before being wiped away. But if it is more water soluble than other options it would not be a good idea for rain conditions riding. Or rather just needs more frequent use.
Likes For BCRider:
Old 05-27-24, 03:58 PM
wheelreason

Liked 724 Times in 428 Posts

"If you are going to shag a sheep, do it at the edge of a cliff"...
Old 05-27-24, 04:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by BCRider
Domestic sheep are far different from wild sheep. For good or bad the sheep that we use for wool have been bred over some hundreds of years until they now continue to grow their coats until they become overgrown and disabled if not shorn at regular intervals. I'm sure the sheep are nicked a little here and there but as for any sort of harm that reduces their life spans I feel like you're the one that is mis-informed.

As for Fluid Film I use it for a few things. It's particularly nice on metal that sees a lot of skin contact since the FF seems to last longer before being wiped away. But if it is more water soluble than other options it would not be a good idea for rain conditions riding. Or rather just needs more frequent use.
It is certainly bad. Using someone without their active and positive consent is always wrong in every case. Also breeding someone just to exploit them is also always wrong. If you don't want to be in that situation you shouldn't wish it on anyone else for any reason.
Old 05-27-24, 04:35 PM
smd4

It is certainly bad. Using someone without their active and positive consent is always wrong in every case. Also breeding someone just to exploit them is also always wrong. If you don't want to be in that situation you shouldn't wish it on anyone else for any reason.
FYI: Sheep aren’t people. Using human pronouns for animals is just plain weird.

Last edited by smd4; 05-27-24 at 04:39 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-27-24, 04:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by smd4
FYI: Sheep aren’t people. Using human pronouns for animals is just plain weird.
They are more people than some actual people. I don't believe in calling someone who is a living being an it or a thing which is are words for inanimate object. Animals should get personhood so they can get respect and have a right to their lives as we want for ourselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.