Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tour-de-Korea 2024

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tour-de-Korea 2024

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 11:03 PM
Ron Damon

Bikes: Several, all affordably priced, none exalted cult artifacts

Liked 841 Times in 554 Posts
Logistics

Food
There is no shortage of food options in the ROK, though you'll have to plan ahead in the long, lonely stretches. Outside of those, the country is blanketed by the GS25, 7Eleven and CU convenience stores where you can always pick up snacks, drinks and a light meal. An instant soup and a gimbap roll at a combined cost of $3 will stand in for a full meal. Otherwise, there are restaurants where you can have the range of Korean food, including the ubiquitous bibimbap.

Filling rice bowl (bibimbap) for $6. With free flow kimchi, of course!

​​

Last edited by Ron Damon; 05-26-24 at 01:54 AM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 05-28-24, 07:48 PM
waddo

Liked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Great photos. Hoping to tour Korea some day. Live in Japan so easy enough to get there.

By the way, what is that amazing looking bike you have?
Old 05-28-24, 08:11 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by waddo
Great photos. Hoping to tour Korea some day. Live in Japan so easy enough to get there.

By the way, what is that amazing looking bike you have?
Hello Waddo, thanks for checking in. I admire your work, and hope to tour Japan soon. You're right, Japan and South Korea are close geographically and well connected. On my next tour, I'd like to take the Busan-Fukuoka ferry and tour Kyushu.

About the rig, it is a 16" wheel (ETRTO305) chromoly FnHon Gust 16" folding bike that I built myself from a frameset. They are quite popular in Indonesia where I live and quite affordable too. Turns out they make for competent CC tourers.
​​​​​

Last edited by Ron Damon; 05-29-24 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-31-24, 10:12 PM
Ron Damon

Logistics

Lodging
I overnighted at hotels throughout my tour, paying on average KRW50,000 or about $40 per night. This usually includes a basic breakfast of cereal, coffee, eggs, bread & jam and fruit. In a few places, you'll have a full buffet spread of Korean food. If you are looking for scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles, etc, you are in the wrong country. No concerns or complaints about cleanliness or comfort at any of the hotels I stayed.

My approach to finding a hotel was to search on Google Maps, making use of the price and rating filter, and turn up at a hotel based on that. At the hotel, I simply asked if they had a room available, and in no instance was I turned away on this or the two previous tours due to room unavailability. I often compare the front desk rate with the Agoda rate, but nine out of ten times it'll be cheaper paying directly at the hotel. Hotels are quite clean and quiet, and you are given your room key card upon payment with no need to show ID. Pay & Go. No hassles, no questions. Not even a second glance that I am bringing a bicycle into the room. Based on previous experience, I recommend the Brown Dot Hotel chain. Clean, quiet, good value.

Navigation
Google Maps is handicapped in South Korea, with extremely limited street view. You'll want to use Naver or Kakao Maps instead. I've used Naver without problems.
​​​​​​
Communications
I buy a local GSM SIM card upon arrival at the airport, and network coverage, regardless of location, is flawless no matter how rural or far out in the sticks you are.

Visas
My passport qualifies for free-of-cost visa-on-arrival. Thirty days, no questions asked. I wasn't even asked for proof of return or outward-bound ticket.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-02-24 at 06:56 AM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 06-01-24, 04:21 AM
djb

Liked 1,041 Times in 852 Posts
Thanks for those accommodation details.