Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike lane sweepers are a thing now!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-24, 01:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Liked 1,759 Times in 1,031 Posts

It seems bike lane sweepers are both in prototype and in use. https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...ke/?artslide=4

I desperately want one (or three) for my city.
Old 06-29-24, 01:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,302 Times in 2,096 Posts
if a DPW wants to ride a bicycle pulling that behind, that's cool....

...I pay taxes for that.
Old 06-29-24, 03:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,404 Times in 3,729 Posts
They pull a big blower behind a mule here. Been doing that for a dozen or more years. The mule is the gas powered kind, not the hay and oats powered mule. To me pulling a sweeper behind a bike probably will mean that less gets done that day. But I'm willing to be wrong and hope it works well.

The blower they use here is also gas powered. It blows most all the rocks and stuff from the trail that you'd not want to run over. They turn the blower off when they see someone coming. But I've surprised them a few times and surprisingly it isn't much bother for the bike and all. And most of the air is blowing down along the pavement.
Old 06-29-24, 03:52 PM
Steel Monkey
Temporary Sentient

Bikes: Yokota Grizzly Peak MTB, Bear Bike Armata (Track)

Liked 207 Times in 86 Posts
Desperately needed in my area. Seems the only flats I get are from motorists' debris.
Old 06-29-24, 04:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,483 Times in 1,912 Posts
The problem that makes designing sweepers difficult is the lack of width standards. Otherwise it would be simple to build a mechanical sweeper along the lines of standard street sweepers. Of course one could build a narrow one, say 3' wide and make two passes to sweep each bike lane, but that doubles the labor cost.

A possible solution would be a 3' wide battery powered mechanical sweeper to be pulled along by an E-bike. Without needing propulsion, or the need to carry a driver, the design is much simpler and the cost should be reasonable.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-30-24, 03:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by Iride01
They pull a big blower behind a mule here. Been doing that for a dozen or more years. The mule is the gas powered kind, not the hay and oats powered mule. To me pulling a sweeper behind a bike probably will mean that less gets done that day. But I'm willing to be wrong and hope it works well.

The blower they use here is also gas powered. It blows most all the rocks and stuff from the trail that you'd not want to run over. They turn the blower off when they see someone coming. But I've surprised them a few times and surprisingly it isn't much bother for the bike and all. And most of the air is blowing down along the pavement.
How useful is it when your bike lane is in the gutter?
Old 07-01-24, 07:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,404 Times in 3,729 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
How useful is it when your bike lane is in the gutter?
I suppose that depends on what exactly your gutter looks like. There is nothing I'd call a gutter on the MUP here. There are a few places where there are curbs from the intersecting roads.

It's just a high volume of air being moved. Sort of like a really big leaf blower you'd use in your yard. Not any faster air movement, maybe less. Just a lot of CFM to push all the loose stuff away. So not really a issue for curbs or the depression that I imagine your gutter to be.

Of course someone still has to come along and pick up the trash, but lately, the people that use to leave water bottles, candy bar and gel wrappers or other trash seem to have gone elsewhere or quit walking or cycling.
Old 07-01-24, 11:51 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 8,298 Times in 3,298 Posts
I'd say a sweeper attachment for a small tractor or skid-steer would be more effective and vastly more efficient.
Old 07-02-24, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,426 Times in 8,138 Posts
They pull a big blower behind a mule here. Been doing that for a dozen or more years. The mule is the gas powered kind, not the hay and oats powered mule. To me pulling a sweeper behind a bike probably will mean that less gets done that day.
My first thought was “Who cleans up after the mule?”

The issue I see in a place like Philly is finding places to empty the debris catchers. And to be honest, the bike lanes, at least downtown, are not that bad. Still, I’m retired and would consider taking a job like that as a side hustle.
Old 07-04-24, 08:57 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,657 Times in 2,203 Posts

SAme here.Especially fall leaves, acorns
Old 07-05-24, 05:50 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Liked 287 Times in 133 Posts
I won't hold my breath for these in KCMO. The city can barely keeps its roads from falling apart.
Old 07-08-24, 07:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,159 Times in 1,328 Posts
A standard street sweeper can handle most of the bike lanes around here (also known as unseparated right lanes). The separated MUPs don't get anywhere near the debris as those re-named curb lanes.
Old 07-17-24, 09:35 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,671 Times in 3,454 Posts
I found a used push type shop sweeper a while ago that I thought could be made into a bike sweeper, but unfortunately it doesn't do a super job at picking up glass and debris. So, it definitely would need a small motor, either gas or electric.

I thought about making one that I could use to clean my favorite road shoulders.
Old 07-17-24, 11:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,302 Times in 2,096 Posts
i think community service points for high schoolers could be better put to use than the McSweeper
Old 07-18-24, 11:06 AM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
we have a river walk mup here that is not connected to a street and they seem to have legit cleaners because they have to clean up all the canadian goose droppings
Likes For kap 7:
Old 07-18-24, 09:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by kap 7
we have a river walk mup here that is not connected to a street and they seem to have legit cleaners because they have to clean up all the canadian goose droppings
OMB the goose droppings. We have Canada geese too, and they can cover a trail like nobody's business.
Old 07-19-24, 10:25 AM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
yeah it can get nasty ... to the point that the city hired a company to cull as many geese as they could in that area and that wasn't a big hit with many residents either. Also they can get super aggressive i've been attacked by one tried to fly right at my head till i basically arm barred it in the chest
Likes For kap 7:
Old 07-19-24, 12:34 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Ours are non-migrating, and imported years ago. They're doing so well that the county issues hunting licenses for them. They mostly stick to our many dairy pastures, but now and then a flock will drop into the marsh and cause havoc.

PS We don't get quote notifications anymore, so if you want someone to see your response, you have to like the post. Stupid, but there it is.
Old 07-19-24, 03:38 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,366 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Monkey
Desperately needed in my area. Seems the only flats I get are from motorists' debris.
Agreed, though I think mostly people here are talking about cleaning up bike trails, not bike lanes on city streets or shoulders on highways.

There are lots of situations where there is a seemingly perfectly good shoulder, but I'm riding in the car lane anyway because there's so much debris on the shoulder. Highways and high traffic boulevards aren't necessarily swept by municipal sweepers, but debris in the car lanes gets mobilized by car tires and comes to rest on the shoulder where the cars aren't.